Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien & Prometheus (there be spoilers in here, duh)

Alien & Prometheus (there be spoilers in here, duh)

For all things Alien related

New movie in the franchise coming out June 2012. Looks really exciting. From what I've heard, it's a prequel of sorts. It's story that takes place in the Alien universe before the events of the first Alien but that don't necessarily lead up to them.

And the cast?? Charlize Theron?! Guy Pearce?!!! I just can't deal.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I bought the bluray Alien set when it was $40 this Black Friday on Amazon. I cannot get over how great the first two movies look. They could have been filmed this year. I'm typically against cleaning up older films. . but for some reason I feel differently about sci-fi movies set in the future. The extras on this set are comprehensive, to say the least. Every special feature from every release of the Alien films (from laserdisc to the Quadrilogy), plus more. I definitely recommend this release.

I am seriously losing my shit over that trailer. I'm so excited.

I am slightly disappointed by what I suspect will happen with the Space Jockeys - that they are just regular-sized humanoids and that the "Space Jockey" we saw in Alien was actually a big suit of sorts (hasn't Scott said this is the case?). What I always loved about the Space Jockey was that it represented a race we knew nothing about and which looked so big and so alien and they could be good or bad or anything in between, and to see them in motion and alive would possibly be beyond our comprehension. But I guess they'll just be a bunch of guys.

That aside, the cast looks amazing, it looks absolutely breathtaking, and it looks like it could be the right mix of Aliens' action and Alien's claustrophobic horror. I'd love for this to spark a new sub-series within the franchise, provided Scott stays onboard, because the original is possibly my favourite film and I don't think it was ever done absolute justice by the sequels or spinoffs (the main series is great but diminishes in quality, and the AVP stuff is...well, it's shit).

eta: FWIW, my other contender for favourite film is Blade Runner, so it goes without saying that I think Ridley Scott has it in him to give mainstream sci-fi a massive kick up its arse. "The future" in my imagination has always looked like his work.

And for comparison, the trailer for Alien:

If as much care and respect has been put into Prometheus as its trailer, then we're really in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
    eta: FWIW, my other contender for favourite film is Blade Runner, so it goes without saying that I think Ridley Scott has it in him to give mainstream sci-fi a massive kick up its arse. "The future" in my imagination has always looked like his work.
    Huge yes. Although Aliens is my most beloved film, with Alien figuring in my top ten. The Prometheus trailer had me on the verge of shaking and crying. It could be wonderful, I want it inside me right now. It doesn't even have to have any of the xenomorphs in it, it just looks like it's going to contribute greatly to the mythos of the series.

I am hoping this will be in the same calibre as the first two alien movies so it can be a solid trilogy (The last two movies while entertaining, are simply not in the same league). Even if this movie doesn't lead directly up to Alien hopefully it's a nice set up.
    Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 12-25-2011 at 01:26 PM.

What with the title and the lab shots in the trailer, I'm really hoping they aren't genetically engineering the xenomorph in this movie, but yeah, otherwise it looks completely fantastic. I haven't had a sci-fi film to really anticipate in a long, long time.

Has anyone watched the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3? For years I'd only ever seen the theatrical version and hated it, but the assembly cut (I believe it was part of the Alien Quadrilogy box set) is, to me, a really awesome movie and worthy of the franchise/its predecessors.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

What are the differences? I have the Total Destruction box set, so my version is the Director's Cut, apparently.

The assembly cut has 30 minutes of additional footage. From wikipedia:

"See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Den of Geek made an in-depth analysis of the trailer.

I'm really looking forward to this. It's "only" seven months away...

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Queen Up In Pumps View Post
    And the cast?? Charlize Theron?! Guy Pearce?!!! I just can't deal.
    Don't forget Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender.

Charlize Theron hints at the nature of her character.

Alien was the first - and really only film - that ever scared the shit out of me so much I felt traumatised afterwards. The first time I saw the facehugger embryo thing bursting out of John Hurt (I think I was 12 years old?) I nearly cried and wouldn't watch the film again for ages afterwards. Even now I have to brace myself. The tension is built up so well it's excruciating. Masterful filmmaking. Aliens is an easy watch for me by comparison.

Also, bishops love sci-fi!

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Aliens is the only film where mine and my best friend's taste in films come together - I can't cope with horror, she can't cope with sci-fi. But we both rate it as one of our favourite films ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    Don't forget Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender.
    And Noomi Rapace!