Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Alien & Prometheus (there be spoilers in here, duh)

Sad to see some hating on Alien 3. The theatrical version is certainly awful, but The Assembly Cut (from the Alien Quadrilogy box set) is a big, grand, bleak, tragic masterpiece. Hugely underrated. It was Fincher's original workprint that he submitted to Fox.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I have a hard time being objective about Alien 3 because I loved it so much as a teenager. It's unrelenting bleak atmosphere was something I couldn't get enough of at the time. It's far from a perfect movie, but I think the Assembly Cut really shows what it could've been. Anyway, I rate the movies in the same order they were released. I'd love to swap Prometheus for Resurrection's 4th spot, but every time I watch it again I'm reminded of the stupid characters doing stupid things to make the plot happen. Resurrection is campy, but it knows that and doesn't pretend to be something grand.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Resurrection always felt like an amusement park ride to me. It's a fun film I could watch anytime.

Aliens is my fav. "Get away from her, you bitch!"
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Aliens/Alien
    Alien 3

Eh, who cares about the rest. Resurrection makes me vomit, something about the goriest scenes really bother me. Like it's too realistic to be campy or something. Parts of it were funny for sure, but it borders on Saw sequel or Human Centipede levels of BARF.

I will say that Prometheus >>> Covenant.

Alien
    Alien³
    Alien Covenant
    Alien Resurrection/Aliens
    and still not sure on how I feel about Prometheus, really liking some stuff about, bored by other bits (those Engineers, I was so disappointed they were the SpaceJockey race, so lame)

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    It is true that Alien 3 wasn't as good as I remembered it, because I saw it when I was about 10yo and back then I would've liked pretty much anything alien-related. I mostly don't like the cg, and the overall rhythm isn't as good as in the other movies. I love the atmosphere, tho, and the whole setting. I keep in mind that it's the sequel of one of the best (imho) movies of all time, so it sits in an uncomfortable position. The thing that convinced me less, on my last rewatch, was the ending, it's a bit clunky.
    I think I've read somewhere that Fincher basically hated the theatrical cut, and that the writing was quite troublesome, so he's not really happy with the movie. I think the writing isn't excellent, but it's waaaaaay faaaaar from being at the same level of Prometheus or Covenant. I still haven't seen the latter (not sure if I want to) but Prometheus has some really shitugly writing, not to talk about characters.

Resurrection is weird because it's actually a different genre of movie. It's nowhere near a space horror, it's a very whedonesque space action movie. I think that's why so many people hate it, because it's not actually a horror movie, when the first Alien movie is a pillar of sci-fi horror. The action component is strong in Aliens, but the horror, the discomfort, is still there. You're almost never afraid of the unknown in Resurrection. As an action movie I actually like it, the only thing I really hated is the hybrid, I remember that in '97 I hated it so much because it killed my beloved alien queen which was the most lovely creature evah. I have to admit that, if it had been released now, I would hate it with a passion.

My list goes like this:

Aliens
    Alien
    Alien3
    Resurrection

Alien vs Predator (hate, ridiculous yet entertaining)

Prometheus (lame pretentious blasphemy)

This said, I want Alien 5. There's a petition out there.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 05-31-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydpzpb6XZTk totally obsessed with this little thing, love the end

Just rented Covenant. What a cop out.

I thought it would pick up right after the end of Prometheus and help explain the origin story - of course with a lot of gore and space ship technology.
    Instead of doing that, and maybe they felt they already did explain it, it seemed all their time was put into making the morph monsters more animated.

The thing that made the aliens so scary was their mystery. You were terrified by all the monster you couldn't see.
    These aliens looked like they were the raptors from Jurassic World. Almost same technology used in that film and not in a good way.

They spent so much time on the aliens look that there really wasn't much else going on in the script. You didn't care about any of those people - not even when you find out that they're all coupled up.

What a waste. And the whole pathogen thing was so stupid. You step on horse shit and you are instantly a host. Whatever.

Alien vs. Predator was a much better thriller.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Volta it kinda sounds like you didn't enjoy Covenant too much ;-)

Agree. Covenant was a bit of a waste. Prometheus was flawed but was more intriguing.

We watched Aliens on film at the Cinerama theater in Seattle last night. I hadn't seen it in the longest time. The similarities in story structure between (s) and (n) abound... reminded me of A New Hope and The Force Awakens in that respect. I really enjoyed it. It manages to stay quite thrilling for what began to feel like a very long time, I must say. Ergo, my conclusion: I think it's a little too long, I think some of the action could have been cut (it is endless for realz), and the little girl is not the best actress. However, it is a pretty great movie, and Sigourney Weaver with short curly hair, in gray tank and panties, is so incredibly iconic to me and cool to me. It goes without saying, but she's absolutely amazing as Ripley.

Since watching it I have been trying to list in my head the new things we learn about the xenomorphs in the second movie:

-They have intelligence (which I don't really like, to be honest. I prefer my xenomorphs as violent, brainless monsters)
    -They are cared for by their mother
    -They can receive and obey orders from their mother
    -They can survive underwater
    -They wrap victims in cocoons of sticky slime to support their gestation process

Am I missing anything? Did I get anything wrong?

The queen/mother reveal in Aliens and the fight that ensues is one of the best moments in cinematic history.

Covenant doesn't venture to explain much. It actually confuses. It's more about David and the idea of creating perfection. Wayland (sp?) created a perfect David. David created a great assortment of xenomorphs that I assume mutate into what we see with the first film.

It's a shame Ridley didn't just ask JJ. Abrams to come in and make things better. What I love so much about Episode 7: The force awakens and even with Rogue One is that they didn't try to recreate the wheel. They just made it roll better.