Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Pink

I love that picture! If only her current album artwork was that inspired... People might disagree about the quality of the music but I think we can all agree that her more recent artwork sucks the big one.

Have any of you tried putting the album in the running order from the original press release with Honey still on it? I've been meaning to try this out in iTunes.

Atlantic 82567
    Produced by Tori Amos & Eric Rosse

* With the February '92 release of "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES," the world was introduced to the wildly original talent of Tori Amos. A uniquely powerful vocalist who pours naked emotion into every song, Tori's riveting performances, both in the studio and in concert, have enchanted legions of fans worldwide.

* Propelled by phenomenal word-of-mouth, massive press raves, heavy MTV play, and the alternative radio smashes, "Silent All These Years" and "Crucify," "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES" undulated to an RIAA gold certification.

* "Newcomer Tori Amos's songs are smart, melodic, and dramatic; the deeper you listen, the hotter they get. 'LITTLE EARTHQUAKES' is a gripping debut," lauded Rolling Stone.

* While she crisscrossed the U.S. on her debut headlining tour, Tori also garnered considerable radio play with her brilliant rendition of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"; the song was featured on "CRUCIFY," Amos's special edition Compact Disc EP.

* Atlantic is very pleased to announce the forthcoming release of "UNDER THE PINK," Tori Amos's eagerly anticipated second full-length solo outing. Produced by Tori and Eric Rosse (who together produced four cuts on Amos's smash solo debut), this brilliant album takes Tori's cathartic art to the next plane.

* While "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES" was about a woman/person's coming to grips with victimization, "UNDER THE PINK" describes a woman/person's taking control both of her life and of her being.

* First single: The intense and groove oriented "GOD". Other standout cuts include the dynamic "Pretty Good Year"; "Baker Baker," a penetrating ballad; the reggae-inflected "Past the Mission"; and "Cornflake Girl."

* There will be a companion video clip for the first single.

* A national consumer print ad campaign is in the works.

* Expect a headlining tour in the spring.

* Merchandising materials: 1x1/Nameboard.

SONGS

Pretty Good Year
    God
    Icicle
    Space Dog
    Bells for Her
    Baker Baker
    Past the Mission
    The Waitress
    The Wrong Band
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Cornflake Girl
    Honey
    Yes, Anastasia

ALSO AVAILABLE

Little Earthquakes/82358 * Crucify (EP)/82399

ON A*VISION ENTERTAINMENT

Little Earthquakes/50335

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Tornado! ^ How wonderfully interesting! I can't believe I had never read that before! I always thought Honey was kicked off for something else, rather than a 13th track. I'm going to try that order though, thanks for that.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Yeah, I thought The Wrong Band made it instead of Honey. Wasn't that a theory as to why she almost never plays it live?

I don't know that I would call Past The Mission Reggae-inflected. I might have said "with backing vocals by Trent Reznor."

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I love Under the Pink. It definitely has some of my favorite songs - PGY, Space Dog, Baker Baker, Yes Anastasia, Bells for Her - but I do find that I've tired of some of the "hits" (PTM, Icicle, CfG, God).

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    Have any of you tried putting the album in the running order from the original press release with Honey still on it? I've been meaning to try this out in iTunes.

Atlantic 82567
    Produced by Tori Amos & Eric Rosse

* With the February '92 release of "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES," the world was introduced to the wildly original talent of Tori Amos. A uniquely powerful vocalist who pours naked emotion into every song, Tori's riveting performances, both in the studio and in concert, have enchanted legions of fans worldwide.

* Propelled by phenomenal word-of-mouth, massive press raves, heavy MTV play, and the alternative radio smashes, "Silent All These Years" and "Crucify," "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES" undulated to an RIAA gold certification.

* "Newcomer Tori Amos's songs are smart, melodic, and dramatic; the deeper you listen, the hotter they get. 'LITTLE EARTHQUAKES' is a gripping debut," lauded Rolling Stone.

* While she crisscrossed the U.S. on her debut headlining tour, Tori also garnered considerable radio play with her brilliant rendition of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"; the song was featured on "CRUCIFY," Amos's special edition Compact Disc EP.

* Atlantic is very pleased to announce the forthcoming release of "UNDER THE PINK," Tori Amos's eagerly anticipated second full-length solo outing. Produced by Tori and Eric Rosse (who together produced four cuts on Amos's smash solo debut), this brilliant album takes Tori's cathartic art to the next plane.

* While "LITTLE EARTHQUAKES" was about a woman/person's coming to grips with victimization, "UNDER THE PINK" describes a woman/person's taking control both of her life and of her being.

* First single: The intense and groove oriented "GOD". Other standout cuts include the dynamic "Pretty Good Year"; "Baker Baker," a penetrating ballad; the reggae-inflected "Past the Mission"; and "Cornflake Girl."

* There will be a companion video clip for the first single.

* A national consumer print ad campaign is in the works.

* Expect a headlining tour in the spring.

* Merchandising materials: 1x1/Nameboard.

SONGS

Pretty Good Year
    God
    Icicle
    Space Dog
    Bells for Her
    Baker Baker
    Past the Mission
    The Waitress
    The Wrong Band
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Cornflake Girl
    Honey
    Yes, Anastasia

ALSO AVAILABLE

Little Earthquakes/82358 * Crucify (EP)/82399

ON A*VISION ENTERTAINMENT

Little Earthquakes/50335
    Holy hell how wonderful! I'll have to try this. I haven't listened to UTP in ages.

And you know, I think that if I had to step back and call one song Tori's ultimate masterpiece, it would be Yes, Anastasia. I think it fully encapsulates the scope of her talent and ability.

I was so obsessed with the record when I was entering senior year of high school and it was tied with Choirgirl for me for the longest time.

when I graduated high school my mom paid for the australian UTP with More Pink as a gift. it was my first tori rarity of any kind that I had and I was finally able to listen to Sugar, Flying Dutchman, and Black Swan for the first time.

basically my addiction to Little Earthquakes was over once I started to let UTP set in.

my favorites from that era are:

Space Dog, Pretty Good Year, Honey, Past the Mission, Sister Janet, The Wrong Band. Bells for Her I only like on headphones but then I love it actually.

Too bad Butterfly wasn't a real B-Side for one of the singles. It would have sat lovely with Losing my Religion on a US CD Single of PTM with Black Swan.

I put Under The Pink in the order listed on the original press release with Honey on it today. I made the cover below using the photo from the cover of the withdrawn advance cassette and digipak. Feel free to use it.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I do love this photo, but I'm really glad they went with the one they did. This one seems more like something that should be on the inside sleeve or back of an album. Didn't they pull it because she hated it so much?
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan with a *y* View Post
    Didn't they pull it because she hated it so much?
    The story I heard was Atlantic got the photos from Tori's people and chose the sexiest one for the advance. Tori found out they mailed out an advance without her approving the photo on the front of it and she flipped the hell out. They destroyed most of the digipaks the advance came in but a few had shipped. Almost all of the cassette copies with the unapproved cover had been shipped when she found out. This would explain why there are lots of the advance cassette floating around (I have one) and the digipak sells for 1,000 bucks. She said in some interview when asked about it, "That was not the image I was trying to portray."

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I think it's a great collection of songs but I actually don't love it as an album. Probably my least played in it's entirety. I just feel like it needs a little more kick. It was a very brave step of her to do something so noncommercial for her sophomore effort. However - this is possibly one of her most beautiful performances - the eye roll after she sings "Time, thought I'd made friends with time..." is the most concise, heartbreaking and wonderful facial expression, maybe in her career for me.

Under the Pink is my favorite for sure, simply because I never get tired of it, and am always revisiting it... Her voice is top notch in this era and each song is so powerful and different. I had never seen that press release above! I burned a copy of the tracklist that was rejected and I think I like its flow better, but you know- I found "honey" to stick out. However, that could simply be because I'm not used to hearing it among the usual tracks.

And that "Baker Baker" above is heart wrenching!!! Thanks for postin' that!

I put Under The Pink in the order listed on the original press release with Honey on it today. I made the cover below using the photo from the cover of the withdrawn advance cassette and digipak. Feel free to use it.

Looks like a Sarah McLachlan album cover. Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan with a *y* View Post
    I do love this photo, but I'm really glad they went with the one they did. This one seems more like something that should be on the inside sleeve or back of an album. Didn't they pull it because she hated it so much?
    Ack! NIPPLES

UTP was the first album I heard from Tori. A friend of mine had it and she played it for me one day. I liked Cornflake Girl and God right from the start, and the Waitress and Past the Mission were instant favorites. I still wasn't a fan that time, and it took the release of Choirgirl to really make me a full fledged fan. I then got UTP for myself and played it constantly. It's been a while since I listened to it in full, but it's still one of the most special albums I've ever heard.