Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Under the Pink

I kind of hate the Dakota version, and especially as a closer.

The original version of Hey Jupiter on BfP, and the way she performed it in 1996, is the one that's the real brutal gut-punch for me. Although, the string quartet version really breathed new life into it.

I just can't lump HJ in the A/C category. Not many A/C ballads talk about masturbating alone in a hotel room after their ex lover refuses to pick up the phone.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I kind of hate the Dakota version, and especially as a closer.

The original version of Hey Jupiter on BfP, and the way she performed it in 1996, is the one that's the real brutal gut-punch for me. Although, the string quartet version really breathed new life into it.

I just can't lump HJ in the A/C category. Not many A/C ballads talk about masturbating alone in a hotel room after their ex lover refuses to pick up the phone.
    Haha

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Happy birthday gurl! Still my favourite. Always my favourite.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Goddamn. UtP can drink legally in the US now.

Banned
    I wasn't around when the re-master was dropped but if I could talk to Tori right now I would say, "Thank you!!"

It's the only album I felt needed a treatment like this, and the two songs I always felt needed it the most were Bells for Her (bump up the tinkered piano a little more) and The Wrong Band that now sounds more whimsical to me. The best remasters are Space Dog and The Waitress, the later is just so good.

Edit: The theory about HJ being about phone sex, HAHA.
    Last edited by TASpark658; 12-24-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Banned
    Why isn't there an EPK for UtP? When did EPKs become a thing? Would be amazing to see from footage from Taos of have UtP formally presented like that.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I was doing a bit of reading about Under the Pink the other day and kept on coming across these quotes and candid shots of Tori and this woman Martina Woodhull who was apparently around for a lot of recording of UtP. Does anyone know where these pictures and quotes are from? Also, does anyone know the actual location of the hacienda they recorded in? I'd love to know more about it.

Marta was Mark's alter ego; he was an amateur photographer before he took elementary guitar lessons and became Mac.

My best friend knows most of the songs on Little Earthquakes, loved Pele and knows every single word/note of Choirgirl. However, he is nothing like me and doesn't feel the need to track down everything someone's ever released just because he likes an album or two. So I had a minor freak out last night when I discovered he's never heard Under The Pink other than Cornflake Girl and God. I got insanely jealous while we were talking on the phone that sometime this weekend he's going to hear Pretty Good Year and Space Dog for the first time ever.

Yes! I had the same thing with a friend back in 1999. She loved Earthquakes, Pink & Tori`s recent electronic albums with Choirgirl and Venus. When driving to the concert she said she had never heard Pele except for the dance remix of Pro Widow. When she heard Horses & Blood Roses - she grew even more in love with Tori. Unfortunately she lost interest with Scarlet... but still pops in every album time to see what is up. She bought ADP and Geraldines since Scarlet - so she is still a casual fan
    Robbing the muse...

So a couple years ago on here people were talking about the original track list for UTP and after giving it a listen I like it 1,000 times more. One reason I always had trouble with Pink is the running order, I think it sucks. Bells for Her is so out of place in its slot and it sounds MUCH better being replaced with icicle. The different moods in the album no longer feel all over the place, they transition almost perfectly. Imho