Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Tori Concerts Ever

these days just seem to crush me

Favorite Tori Concerts Ever

rank all of them or pick your favorites!! did any of the latest shows make your cut? out of 15 shows i've seen in the last decade, these are my top 5 :

1. Chicago '01 - always & forever. my first tori show, and a setlist to die for.

2. chicago '02 (second night) - it felt like such a special show for me & my friend, who had just lost her father a few months before. the winter/cooling/tiny dancer combo KILLED us. and then etienne with the band (the first time ever i think) and a beautiful playboy mommy to close the show.

3. chicago '07 @ the vic - the legendary performance of me & a gun, along with one of my favorite performances of 'hey jupiter', and a sing-a-long to happy phantom. the energy of the crowd was insane!

4. atlanta '11 - beulah land. one of my favorites that i've been dying to hear. and the performance of 'river' made me emotional like i was back at my first tori concert

5. chicago '07 - first night - i had such a blast with the husband (boyfriend at the time). debut of rasberry swirl, and a wonderful "she's your cocaine"

honorable mention goes to chicago navy pier '03. SUCH a fun, energetic & great show. no opener, small venue, and front row center. not even leather could ruin it

Ooh... here goes!

1.) NY, Beacon Theatre, Oct. 11, 2001 (night #3) - It was the last show of a three-show-run and it was during the highly emotional time of 9/11. The second night I almost met her, and I was determined to meet her on the third night, which I did. It became a very special show for me. She played "Not the Red Baron," "Flying Dutchman" and "Rattlesnakes" which made me very happy, since at the time some of those were sort of rare. Then outside after the show, some girl wearing wings and holding a faery book threw glitter in Tori's hair. It is still burned in my mind - and Tori was STUNNINGLY beautiful that night after the show. She had raccoon eyes, black fishnets, straightened red hair, amazing.

2.) LA 2011, night #2 - This came as close to any 2001 show ever, which I didn't think would be possible. It seemed like she had read my mind and was playing all of my favorites at once, including "Sister Janet" "Dragon" and "Marianne." Then she whipped out "On The Boundary" and I nearly died. I have been wanting her to play that YKTR song since 2005, but never believed she would actually do it. I had my hand clasped over my mouth during the entire song, and the only time I have ever been in such shock as to put my hand over my mouth was during 9/11. It also brought me back to the Beacon 2001 nights. And then to have Ode and Datura just put it over the top. Special show.

The rest of the order goes, Beacon 2001 night #2, Boston 2001, Beacon 2001 night #1, Riverside Church NY 2002, Holmdel 2003 (her birthday), NY 2007 (Night #1 was better I believe), NY 2007 night #2, Holmdel 2005 (where her sound went out and then there was a thunderstorm), Holmdel 1999 (first Tori show ever) and then LA 2009 (wasn't all that special).

I think I probably need some time in order to be objective about how this 2011 show ranked with the past 14.

The one I always go back to is Minneapolis '98. I love it (Cornflake Girl and all). Sugar sounded fantastic, Cruel was incredible, iieee was energetic and Playboy Mommy was heart-wrenching.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Chicago Allstate Arena '98 - My first Tori concert and I was there to see her play to the largest venue of her career at that point in time. That was back in the days of Ticketmaster lotteries, and we scored 5th row seats. What can I say? She was in top form, and the setlist included plugged versions of Precious Things, Spark, iieee, Sugar, and Space Dog -- with solo versions of Winter and Cooling. Her voice was gorgeous - she hit all the high notes to perfection and they resonated throughout the theater. The last song of the final encore was the band version of Horses and it was the SHIT. I remember being so hyper excited about the concert that I could barely sleep that night, and went into work the next day both invigorated and worn out telling everyone about this awesome woman I'd seen the night before who could play two keyboards at once.

^That sounds like me after the Birmingham '98 show. I went back to my then boyfriend's apartment to tell him all about the show. He was trying to get some sleep, but I was all excited, and had to tell someone about it. She ended my show with Horses Plugged too, and I was in love. I have memories of her beginning the show with Precious Things, and the lights flooding my eyes as I had tears streaming down my face. It was so cathartic for me!!!! And well hearing Little Amsterdam, iieee, Playboy Mommy, Siren, Frog On My Toe, Purple People, Spark, Caught a Lite Sneeze, and Raspberry Swirl (with purple and green lights moving all over the venue) just made for a great first Tori concert experience. I wish I could do it all over again.

Top ten of the ones I've seen:

St Louis 2001
    San Antonio 2003
    Tulsa 2003
    Chicago 2007 night 2 (the Vic)
    Denver 1999 (Magness Arena)
    Rochester Hills 2005
    Minneapolis 2003
    Red Bank 2009
    Austin 2003
    Atlanta 2011

I feel odd about including Atlanta 2011 as it is still fresh. But with it being the better of the quartet shows I saw I am sure it will stand out in hindsight. Austin 2003 is on the list because of the venue it was at. Seeing the lights on the trees behind that stage as the sun went down during that show makes it one of my favorite tour memories.

Other personal favorites include Lawrence 2007, Kansas City 2003, and Kansas City 2009 which weren't particularly amazing but meant a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by promo78 View Post

I feel odd about including Atlanta 2011 as it is still fresh. But with it being the better of the quartet shows I saw I am sure it will stand out in hindsight.
    i walked away from the atlanta show completely blown away, and knew without question it was one of my favorite shows ever. i think it set unrealistic expectations for the chicago show, and that show was disappointing in comparison.

Phoenix 2001
    Charlotte 2001
    St. Louis 2001
    Albuquerque 2003
    San Antonio 2003
    Los Angeles #2, 2011
    Seattle 2007
    Seattle 2011
    Austin 2011
    Clearwater 2005
    Boston 2005 (2nd Leg)
    Ft. Myers 2007
    Anaheim 2007
    Last edited by uskidsknow; 01-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Akron 1998
    Chicago 2007 (2nd)
    NYC 2011 (2nd)
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

She played Albuquerque in 2003? Where? The Kiva? And why don't I remember that? :P

so, this thread is a little early, but how did your UG shows rank in your favorites??

i would have to say that st. louis might fall into being tied at number 5 or get an honorable mention...

1. Chicago '01

2. chicago '02 (second night)

3. chicago '07 @ the vic

4. atlanta '11

5. Navy Pier '03/Chicago night 1 '07

St. Louis '14??

Mine is really easy.I'm just jealous of you all
    '14 Istanbul
    '05 Istanbul

Though if i count the boots i listened,London '99 solo was the best by really far. I'd give my left tit to be there.
    Last edited by lovecraft; 08-24-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: "jealous" i learn something everyday
    the draught was the very worst

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Mine is really easy.I'm just jelaous of you all
    '14 Istanbul
    '05 Istanbul

Though if i count the boots i listened,London '99 solo was the best by really far. I'd give my left tit to be there.
    Yeah

Warsaw 2014
    Warsaw 2009 (much better in person than on the boot, I'm going to say)

And that's it.

I've seen her four times and of the four times I loved three and didn't care much for the fourth. Minneapolis '09, Chicago '11 and Kansas City '14 were all great shows in their own respective rights, though by technical standards I think they each improved upon themselves by a margin and Austin '14 is one of the few shows I've seen by anyone that left me with a sour taste yet the bootleg has held up well for.

Edit: is there an actual Warsaw 2009 bootleg? I know there's a YouTube collection but Christ, my ears don't need that.