Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Boys for Pele

I’ve always felt like there was something “cold” about CALS, there’s a lot of space in it. The instrumentation isn’t warm and lush. Even the high backing vocals have a chilly nature to them. I have always imagined the blueish-white X-ray images of brains based on what she said and thought that felt like a good visual representation of the song.

That's an angiogram, you can only see the arteries and faint traces of the skull. The brain is not visible at all.

I adore Caught a Lite Sneeze. I wish Tori would experiment with sounds and textures again like this. Parts of NI are definitely a step in the right direction. Reindeer King and Sneeze are on par for me in terms of quality.
    Last edited by Beelust; 10-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post
    @sugarhiccup In the extended EPK for Boys for Pele, Tori mentions that the ''transparent brain'' image was from National Geographic. With a bit of Googling, and keeping in mind that BFP was recorded in 1995, I found this:

It does look gorgeous, although for the life of me I cannot see the connection between this image and CALS being ''transparent''! But that's Tori's genius for you
    Wow, that's a revelation. I got a shiver looking at that picture and hearing the 'Building tumbling down' part of CALS with the high backing vocal chant. I definitely feel the visual/oral connection in the production there.

Excerpt from Amy Gentry’s BFB 33 1/3 up at The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e-ugly-extract

Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    Excerpt from Amy Gentry’s BFB 33 1/3 up at The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e-ugly-extract
    This must be what is appearing at Barnes & Noble next year.

I doubt it. I think it's probably something else that is more "Tori official."

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pele-Boy18 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Wow - I hate that write up. Too bad the author doesn't describe BFP as "ugly" or "disgusting" at least 75 more times in three paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pele-Boy18 View Post

No, this has been on the way for a long time. It's from the 33 1/3 book on Boys For Pele. It was announced a few years ago, and is just being released this month.
    If you don't know much about 33 1/3 books, look into them. They're short books written on specific albums, like a long album review, published by Bloomsbury.

http://333sound.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Wow - I hate that write up. Too bad the author doesn't describe BFP as "ugly" or "disgusting" at least 75 more times in three paragraphs.
    Seriously. They couldn't give the assignment to someone who likes the record? And what's more is, there's nothing ugly about Boys for Pele on any level. Every single thing about it is gorgeous, from the arrangements to the lyrics to the photography to Tori's vocals. It's the rare piece of work that feels lived-in and pristine at the same time.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 12-31-2018 at 11:38 AM.

I actually kind of agree with parts of that excerpt. Pele is not “pretty” in the way a lot of pop albums by women were pretty. You can’t tell me the album version of Professional Widow isn’t ugly, with the pounding, clunky harpsichord, the bull mooing in the background, the way Tori wails and snarls (“GIMMAY PEACE, LOVE, AND A HAAARD CCYYYAAAAANNNK”? I mean, come on)... Songs that I love now were alien to me as a teenager. The album was like nothing I’d ever heard before.

The same goes for the artwork. It may be evocative and beautifully shot, but crawling around on dirty mattresses isn’t a conventionally beautiful image.

It’s not “pretty” in the same way a lot of Joanna Newsom or Ani DiFranco music isn’t “pretty,” but why does it have to be? Pele is a masterpiece, IMO, even if it doesn’t sound like Celine Dion or Whitney Houston or any of the other women who were releasing “pretty” songs with more palatable subject matter.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I think I take issue with the usage of the terms - as I can't see them ever referring to a man's song as "ugly" but instead as "raw" or "furious" - describing the intensity of the elements or impact of the performance rather than an assessment of their attractiveness. Does that make sense? Saying she makes ugly and feminine-beauty rejecting music really just seems inaccurate. Call it fringe, unusual, feral...
    I'm always baffled by people saying they couldn't connect with it. From day one when it was released, 12 year old me dug it immensely and I never questioned or thought about it being anything other than emotional and passionate and I loved it.

PS, I still can't hear the bull sounds.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I actually kind of agree with parts of that excerpt. Pele is not “pretty” in the way a lot of pop albums by women were pretty.
    Oh - I definitely understand and share the point of view. I guess I'm critiquing the writer's style - it feels like she's pounding you over the head with her single thesis on the album ("it's ugly.")

Uh, actually that is the point of the book, or at least of some of its fragments -- the fact that Pele can be considered simply "ugly" stems from sexism and internalised mysogyny.

In other parts of the book, Gentry discusses the fact that BfP can be seen as "ugly" and, at the same time, twee (the beginning of Marianne, for example).

I don't agree with all the points she makes, but it's an interesting take on Pele.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I actually get what the author of the article is saying, and why and how she's using those terms. Pele sounded just ugly to me, the first time I gave it a spin (with a few exceptions, but I can't tell you how much Springtime sounded awful - and the beginning still sounds ugly). It took me YEARS to get into the perspective to see it as a precious, unique and raw gem, or anyway a very very brave and interesting record. I think Pele is the worst record to introduce someone to Tori, because it's so demanding in terms of open-mindness. Most of my friends would ask me to turn it off when I'd put it on in the car. It's that kind of beauty you have to resonate with, so it might take a while to warm up to each other.
    The author is using the word 'ugly' in a positive way, as "imperfect"; she's saying "this record is consciously flawed and that's why it's great". She's praising Tori's bravery throughout the whole article.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun