11. Act of Contrition

The videos:

"Like a Prayer"

"Express Yourself"

"Cherish"

"Dear Jessie"

"Oh Father"

Madonna's most iconic album cover.

Best album closer of all time? I think so, yes.

The Cherish video is a really underrated gem. It's not as flashy as Like A Prayer/Express Yourself, but it's beautifully shot and Madonna looks stunning.

I also love how Cherish/Dear Jessie are the light happy moments in between the darkness and sadness of Til Death Do Us Part/Promise To Try and Oh Father. It gives the album a better balance and pairing them together keeps things from being too jarring.

I'd say the closer is the most WTF moment closer of all time, surely... And I love it for it. It's not nowadays a Madonna album would end with her screaming abruptly something like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT ON THE COMPUTER???".

Let's not forget this underrated gem from the Like a Prayer sessions:

I was just listening to this album the other day, and I never realized she sings this rather familiar line in Love Song:

Time goes by so slowly for those who wait
    Those who run seem to have all the fun

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    I was just listening to this album the other day, and I never realized she sings this rather familiar line in Love Song:

Time goes by so slowly for those who wait
    Those who run seem to have all the fun
    God I remember the fanboy uproar when the lyrics for "Hung Up" came out.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMownGrass View Post
    Let's not forget this underrated gem from the Like a Prayer sessions:

I hate to say this, but I've always thought "Supernatural" was a TERRIBLE song. The melody is all over the place and she sounds strained and flat.

Here's a great song that was written during the album sessions by Madonna and Patrick Leonard (the video is mislabeled and not actually a demo). In the end, however, Madonna gave the song to Donna De Lory (her longtime backup singer). Madonna is the featured artist here, singing backing vocals, not the other way around as the video's title would have you believe. The song is track 7 on Donna's self-titled debut album.

Should have made the album as it could easily tie into the whole Sean/break-up facet of the record. Should have replaced "Love Song," in my opinion.

Just a Dream is great, I agree with you it should have replaced Love Song. And while Supernatural is far from being the greatest song ever, I think it's great fun and the lyrics are amazing. She should look back at inspired moments like that when she decides to release crap like Candy Shop.

One of the best pop albums ever. She really ruled the world at this point in her career. She was clearly taking more risks, and this album feels like the work of an artist, not just a pop star. Add to that four dazzling videos, most of which rank as some of the greatest videos ever made ... she was officially a goddess. She was firing on all cylinders. Songs like "Oh Father," "Promise to Try," and "Til Death Do Us Part" ... these are some of the most powerful songs in her entire catalog.

Since I mentioned in another thread that she had fewer happy, open-hearted love songs as her career progressed, I'll just throw in a note of appreciation for "Cherish." It's totally winning. "Romeo and Juliet / They never felt this way I bet" ... how can you not love that line? And I think she's so sexy in the video. She's not overly made up, and she looks like she's having FUN.

Gorgeous.

I love this album, though I think the album version of Express Yourself really pales in comparison to the video version.
    And Love Song doesn't need to be on there.

Recently instrumental versions of the entire album leaked and it included an alternate take of Dear Jessie which is very interesting. With DRUMS and stuff!

Also, Keep It Together feels really cold to me, especially since I first started paying attention to the song after having heard the live version, which is a LOT more loose.