Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Like a Prayer

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Yay! I found the Like a Prayer 12" single in mint condition for next to nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I love this album, though I think the album version of Express Yourself really pales in comparison to the video version.
    I guess I'm the only person who actually prefers the album version of Express Yourself. There's a fervorous, ferocious quality to it that's never captured in the Shep Pettibone remix, which I find very "cold". And I don't mean cold in a bad way, it fits the concept of the video and tour, but in my head it's really distant from the original LAP character. I always imagine the brunette Madonna from the album art singing and dancing to album version very uncompromisingly, as opposed to the futuristic platinum blonde calculatedly doing the choreography for Shep's cold remix.

^totally agree with you about 'express yourself'. also, 'like a prayer' is so much better on the album - i really don't like the version included on the immaculate collection one tiny bit in comparison.
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

I like the Express Yourself album version and video version probably equally. They are so similar and yet so different. Kinda sad the album version gets so overlooked though - it's so jazzy and fun, and uses real instruments!

Other things I love on this album. The happy sounding music with the dark subject material on Till Death Do Us Part. The excellent segue between Dear Jessie and Oh Father. Reminds me of a child innocently playing before her menacing father enters the room. I even like (but don't love) Love Song, and Act of Contrition is one of the weirdest things she's ever recorded.

This album is Perfection if you delete Prince's collaboration. I also love Spanish Eyes, especially her voice in this track.

Quote Originally Posted by desirableking View Post
    I also love Spanish Eyes, especially her voice in this track.
    See, now I think her vocals are especially bad on this track. She also sounds pretty terrible on "Oh Father." Two otherwise great songs marred by bad vocal takes.

I love the vocals on Oh Father. I've never questioned her vocals on that track because I've always found the track to be one of her most emotive and 'deepest'.
    What is it about the vocals that you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    See, now I think her vocals are especially bad on this track. She also sounds pretty terrible on "Oh Father." Two otherwise great songs marred by bad vocal takes.
    JOEY! OH FATHER? NOOOOOOOO! That shaky low register is EVERYTHING. I also have a soft spot for the raspiness on the chorus of Spanish Eyes. But Oh Father? Perfection.

The only time your take on music has disappointed me

Me and my unpopular Madonna opinions.

I'm in the Oh Father vocals are terrible camp, too. Great song that is almost completely ruined for me because of its vocals.

I don't know you guys anymore.

I listen to the vocals and register that there is something off about them but I don't care because it is such a great song.

Apple Music has a collection of remixes, outtakes and album tracks up in honour of the album's 30th anniversary:

This is odd isn’t it? Is it an official release?

It's being promoted on her Facebook page, so I assume so.
    Last edited by Andyland; 04-23-2019 at 11:01 PM.