07. Waiting
    08. Thief of Hearts
    09. Words
    10. Rain
    11. Why's It So Hard
    12. In This Life
    13. Did You Do It?
    14. Secret Garden
    Last edited by Joey; 03-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.

The videos:

"Erotica"

"Fever"

"Bye Bye Baby" (Live Performance Video)

"Deeper and Deeper"

"Bad Girl"

"Rain"

This era has some of Madonna's best videos ever, imo. Erotica and Deeper and Deeper still creep me the fuck out.

^ And "Rain" is my favorite video ever.

Love the album, the era, but the Fever and Bad Girl videos i dislike very much (for different reasons).

U dislike the Bad Girl video??? I love it

no I don't like it, I think it's very moralistic : the woman gets punished in the end, an old story... More than that, it's a professional, independant woman, so of course she couldn't be happy and must be punished. It's the typical post 80s negative view of the professional, independant woman (depressed, crazy and murderous in Fatal Attraction and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle for instance). In Working Girl, there's a kind of balance but the boss is a crazy bitch and the heroine can't win without her man (and without being literally infantilized before going to her new job). Even in Madonna's video there has to be the paternal figure there to "look over her". For an album/era about exploration of desires and freeing yourself, that video was like hitting on the nail of guilt.
    Last edited by Homogenik; 01-02-2012 at 02:14 PM.

My favourite Madonna album, despite there being some 'filler' tracks that I'm not that fond of. Just love the production and feel of the whole thing.

I'll never understand why They did not include the amazing Goodbye To Innocence,instead of that waiting-reprise-rap crap.
    And the album is still amazing today,even if a bit dated.

I never had Did Ya Do It? on my version, and am a bit perplexed why it even exists. Think I listened to it once, but never again...talk about pointless.

Goodbye to Innocence is AMAZING.

Actually, Madonna scrapped Goodbye to Innocence in favor of Fever, which was a last minute addition. If you pay attention, both songs are very similar, and that's because the idea of doing a cover of Fever was inspired by the instrumental of GTI.

I kind of like Did You Do It. According to the Lucy O'Brien biography, Madonna reunited some friends at the studio to show them a finished version of Waiting, but when she asked André Betts to play the song, he decided to pull a prank on her and started playing Did You Do It, which had been recorded with his rapper friends without her knowledge. Apparently Madonna was very offended and started crying, asking him to stop and play her original song. In the end, she liked the parody version and decided to include it on the album.

"Erotic" - an alternate version of "Erotica" that was exclusively available on the CD that came with the SEX book.

I love this version more than the album version, no question. Lyrically and production-wise it's so much more interesting.

The album came out at the peak of my fandom, and I was obsessed with it. What an amazing era for her ... musically, anyway. This was an incredibly ballsy release that was overshadowed by the Sex book and then Body of Evidence. But the videos are stellar and varied, and it's definitely her most experimental and bold album. I also have the version without "Did You Do It?" on it, and it is definitely not missed. I'm not crazy about "In This Life," but otherwise I like or love pretty much everything else.

This album portrays a more complicated and dark view of relationships than any other record she's released. And it has some of her smartest lyrics. "Waiting" is just bad-ass. "Secret Garden" is amazing as an album closer. I do think the disappointing sales (relative to her other albums) spooked her into doing something more commercial for the next round, but I can't blame her (in fact, I think she handled it beautifully).

I'm glad this album has such a good reputation with fans. It's really stood the test of time.

It's also good to see critics finally coming around to it. Many re-reviews of the album recognize it as one of her finest complete works, which it undoubtedly is.

If you've never read Shep Pettibone's "Erotica Diaries," I highly recommend you do so. They give invaluable insight into the extent of Madonna's involvement in the album-making process, her work ethic, and the day-to-day drama of deadlines and the like. A definite must-read for fans of the album, in my opinion.

http://www.sheppettibone.com/sp_erotica_diaries.htm

Also, a few photos from the studio sessions: