Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Erotica

There are a lot of great lyrics on this album. In the title track, this lyric has intrigued me the most:

Only the one that hurts you can make you feel better
    Only the one that inflicts pain can take it away

Does this line of thinking apply only in the bedroom, or is relevant to other aspects of romance?

I always think about those lyrics as well when I hear them because I remember once a very long time ago I posted them as a facebook status and someone replied saying "thats not true" and ever since then, whenever I listen to the song I sometimes start thinking of scenarios where those words are true and scenarios where they don't apply.

I think they're good lyrics for being thought provoking. That's probably something Madonna would say lol

Some GLORIOUS b-roll footage from the "Rain" video leaked today. This stuff is pure gold. "Rain" is her greatest music video and one of her very best songs, in my opinion.

Amazing stuff!

Happy 25th Anniversary, Erotica! 20 October 1992.

A new discussion on the album from Billboard featuring Andre Betts, Donna De Lory, Shep Pettibone, Tony Shimkin, and Doug Wimbish. A must-read!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...k-oral-history

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Hands down one of the most interesting and insightful articles I've ever read on Madonna, thanks for sharing!

Erotica and American Life are her two biggest outlier albums in my opinion. I prefer American Life, but I like Erotica alright. It has some amazing songs - and the cover photo, to die! But there are a bunch of misses in my opinion, and something about it as a whole just leaves me a little cold.

My main issue with Erotica is that it's so damn long. Every song runs for about two minutes more than it should, IMO.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...pieces-w507057

Exceptional article from Rolling Stone assessing Erotica and this particular era in her career.

Erotica remains a divisive album within her fanbase it seems, but I'm in the "It's a masterpiece" camp. I go back and forth on what my favorite Madonna album is, but this is a serious contender. It's one of my favorite records by anyone. It's a very specific album and not as multi-purpose as some of her more overtly "pop" records that could fit a variety of moods, but damn if it doesn't sound like anything and anyone else. It still sounds dark, complicated, and ballsy as hell 25 years later, with its deliberately icy tone sharply contrasting how conflicted/angry/lustful the narrators of these songs are. I think it's a brilliant approach.

I love that this record is getting its due for inspiring other "renegade pop albums" (I think the Guardian referred to Janet's Velvet Rope as such, so I can't take credit for that phrase--but the label seems appropriate here). This album followed Like a Prayer and I'm Breathless in her discography--talk about a 180. As controversial as her image was up until this point, it was almost ALWAYS balanced by releasing sunlight pop songs (with the exception being "Justify My Love"). This is probably the most radical album release from a major pop star that I can think of. Which, of course, wouldn't matter if the album wasn't so good.