09. Sanctuary
    10. Bedtime Story
    11. Take a Bow

The videos:

"Secret"

"Human Nature"

"Bedtime Story"

"Take a Bow"

I think this is definitely her most underrated album.

That and the glam crack-whore look is probably my favorite look she's ever had.

It's one of my favourite albums. It's all 5 stars for me except Don't Stop and IRBYL which are not even passable but downright horrible, which makes the whole thing unbalanced. I personally replace them with Freedom and Your Honesty and it makes for a much better album.

I agree. I prefer Your Honesty over Don't Stop. I always skip don't stop but the rest is great. Inside of me, survival, love tried to welcome me, forbidden love are beautiful. Secret and Take a Bow are in my top5 fav Madonna songs ever.

Though the album version features Meshell Ndegeocello rapping in the bridge of "I'd Rather Be Your Lover," Tupac Shakur, whom Madonna was dating at the time, recorded the original rap. According to wiki, 2Pac's rap was cut after criminal charges were filed against him. Meshell, who also plays bass in the song, stepped in to record a rap last minute.

The songs that didn't make the cut:

I actually really really like "Your Honesty." I can't imagine why she opted to leave it off the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I actually really really like "Your Honesty." I can't imagine why she opted to leave it off the album.
    Obviously because she thought Don't Stop was better.

I think this is a beautiful record. It took a while to warm up to it, because it initially felt so slick and commercial after the more in-your-face Erotica, but I think she did a lovely job reconnecting with fans she had turned off during her panty-dropping phase while also releasing something personal and mature. I also dislike "Don't Stop"--it's on the list of totally useless Madonna filler--but IRBYL is pretty cool.

One of my favorite non-single Madonna tracks is "Love Tried to Welcome Me," which is pretty heartbreaking. As far as singles are concerned, I think TAB deserved to be the huge hit that it was. It never seems to be a favorite of Madonna fans, but I think it's gorgeous.

I like her look during this era as well, especially in the "Secret" video and her appearance at the 1994 MTV Awards with Letterman. She looked like an updated, urban Jean Harlow.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    She looked like an updated, urban Jean Harlow.
    This. Exactly.

I guess I could have put this in the videos thread, but it's album-related. Sort of.

"Human Nature" sampled the bass line of Main Source's "What You Need":

"Sanctuary" sampled Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man":

And, of course, the Bjork song that begot "Bedtime Story":

And the "rejection is the greatest aphrodisiac" line is apparently from Proust :

So then there’s some polite chat about her new album Bedtime Stories, which is the reason for this interview. A track I like especially is a smokey soul ballad called Forbidden Love. She is interested to hear this, and asks if I noticed the line that she whispers in the backing track. Yes, I respond confidently. In fact I’d meant to ask her about it: "Protection is the greatest aphrodisiac."

"No!" She seems hurt. "I say rejection. Rejection is the greatest aphrodisiac …"

Oh, disaster. I groan inwardly at the gaffe.

"… which is not an original thought," she goes on, now leaning forward, confidingly. "I believe it’s Proust. But it’s so true, wouldn’t you say?"
    and "Surely whoever speaks to me in the right voice, him or her I shall follow …" from Whitman

source

An Aaliyah song is sampled/credited as well on one of the tracks. I forget which Aaliyah song. "Back and Forth," perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    An Aaliyah song is sampled/credited as well on one of the tracks. I forget which Aaliyah song. "Back and Forth," perhaps?
    It is, but I was trying to stick to songs that were basically instantly recognizable.