Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ray of Light

Just uploaded to Madonna's official YouTube channel along with a #RayOfLight20 playlist which will be updated with ROL-related goodies throughout the month:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GhzXEyGQS4PSse

I've never heard any of this before. There is a Ray of Light "Demo Assembly" promotional disc floating around that has never leaked in full, but somebody uploaded clips and posted them to YouTube yesterday. These were allegedly recorded between April 6th and June 6th 1997. It's crazy hearing this stuff before Orbit became involved and also how inclined she was initially to continue with the Bedtime Stories/Something to Remember sound.

Last edited by Joey; 07-26-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Thanks for sharing @Joey! That is so cool!

I find it interesting that several of the unreleased songs are romantically themed, when the final RoL album is not really a broken heart record, as much as it is a philosophical and reflective record, from a subject matter perspective. It's so neat to get insight into the evolution of a great record.

This is so so cool-I’m on a Madonna forum and people have been going nuts for this. It just shows how much of a collaborater Madonna is, which I love her for.

My favourite album of hers just got better. Very lucky to hear these. Hopefully the full disc will leak in time

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    OOh that makes me huger for more! How fascinating that some clearly showed the direction the album eventually went while others are very much call backs to what came just before.

Has To Be is one of my favorite songs from that era and I would love to have that demo version.

Homegirl REALLY needs to put out a rarities and b-sides collection. Honestly, WHY HASN'T SHE DONE THAT?!

^ To not compromise her artistic integrity. That's why we end up getting things like the album version of Joan of Arc and the Jump b-side version of History.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMownGrass View Post
    ^ To not compromise her artistic integrity.

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.

She doesn't really have that many B-sides and rarities, when it comes down to it. And who knows who has the rights to what in terms of her catalog.

I'd be interested in a compilation of unreleased songs--she's had some great ones over the years, although artists don't seem to release compilations of unreleased material very frequently, so I doubt this will ever happen. In particular, I've loved "Liquid Love," "Run," "Like a Flower" and her covers of "If You Go Away" and "Like an Angel Passing Through My Room." I have a bunch of her unreleased Rebel Heart songs and haven't really dug into them since there were so many songs that actually were released from that era. I should probably give them another spin ...

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I reference this wiki page often, it's a pretty comprehensive breakdown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ded_by_Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    I reference this wiki page often, it's a pretty comprehensive breakdown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ded_by_Madonna
    ^ Looks like there's plenty of unreleased material - to fill a few albums!

Madonna's classic Ray of Light comes to record stores for Black Friday 2018 in this double clear vinyl 20th anniversary edition!

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10469

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!!