Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Candy

Hard Candy

Album discussion thread!

Release date: 19 April 2008

Track List:

01. Candy Shop
    02. 4 Minutes (featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland)
    03. Give It 2 Me
    04. Heartbeat
    05. Miles Away
    06. She's Not Me
    07. Incredible
    08. Beat Goes On (featuring Kanye West)
    09. Dance 2night (featuring Justin Timberlake)
    10. Spanish Lesson
    11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
    12. Voices

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Probably my least favorite Madonna album. Even in 2008, to me, it sounded dated and copy-cat of Timbaland's success around the time with the likes of Nelly Furtado (Loose). It almost sounds like a Justin Timberlake record (Futuresex/Lovesounds, part two?), oddly enough. There was no defining image outside of the whole boxer-chic "M-Dolla" schtick and just felt half-baked. "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You," which is basically "Cry Me a River" redux, is probably my favorite song.

"Miles Away" is a decent song. Probably the least embarrassing song on the album, though perhaps a tad overlong.

Hard Candy's a weird one. I feel like all of the songs stop short of being great. For me, Give It to Me comes the closest, but the tour version bests out the album. I still like Incredible and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You. Overall though, I'd agree it's her worst album. Granted, she was probably going through a lot of personal issues at the time as her divorce was announced shortly after the album release.

I really like Incredible, but that's pretty much it...

The videos:

"4 Minutes"

"Give It 2 Me"

"Miles Away"

I love Voices.

and this should have been the cover/concept (at least it would have been provocative and not just ugly) :

It could have featured whole topics on meat and meat-related products...

I know this album gets a lot of hate, but there's a lot that's worthy of love here. The stretch of Give It To Me -Incredible (which has my favorite vocal Madonna's done in years) is excellent, and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You is another awesome track even if it's part 3 of the Cry Me A River trilogy.

I like Voices as well, but I much prefer it in it's demo form as Is This Love? (Bon D'accord).

I have probably listened to Devil Wouldn't Recognize You a million times, and watched the concert footage of the song as well just as many times. I love it so much! Besides that I hate all the collaborations she did on this album, and I know she was going for a certain vibe, but the album sounds so dated.

Actually, when the album came out, I thought the boxer idea was really good but that it was so underplayed in the whole concept that it failed to become meaningful. Maybe it's because the album itself wasn't very strong and not very worthy of Madonna the pop champion... If it had been, then I think this image would have been embraced more fully. She deserves her champion belt after all. The fact that she surrounded herself with so many commercial and overused writers/producers which made her own contribution pale made the image kind of unwillingly sad or sarcastic...

I just hated how tacked on the whole "candy" thing was. I was especially miffed when the original photos surfaced. The concept still isn't great by any means, but it beats the hell out of what was officially released.

I had never seen that but absolutely, the candy thing was forced and pointless, very tacky and derivative. She should have gone with something grittier.

In terms of the visuals/videos, this was the least focused she's ever been, which is a shame.

I'm going to have to voice an unpopular sentiment ... I really like this album. I think it gets unfairly shit on. No way do I think it's her worst album. In fact, I like it much better than it's predecessor, COAD. I actually feel Madonna's presence on HC more than on COAD. Her vocals are more colorful and alive here, and there's an urgency to the songs. It's funny, I always heard the album as Madonna's struggling against time. Clearly, she has been criticized for fighting too hard against aging, not being graceful, whatever, but the songs really do seem to be ABOUT those struggles to me. She wants to dance off into the sunset, she's aware that her relationship is in trouble and is looking back in time at when things were better, she's aware that competitors (both romantic and professional) are nipping at her heels. To me, this album feels so much more personal than COAD.

Yeah, there's some silly lines about seeing her booty get down, etc ... but I always found those sort of tongue-in-cheek. And more effectively tongue-in-cheek than that damn "American Life" rap.

I'd get rid of "Spanish Lesson," which is her requisite "totally unnecessary filler track." Everything else I like or love.

See, for me "Spanish Lesson" is one of the few songs that works because it's completely aware of how ridiculous it is.

I just can't see past the production and again with the tired "time/tick-tock/waiting/hesitating" lyric motif. The album sounded dated even when it was released. It was as if she had jumped a bandwagon that had already been on its way out for some time. But aside from that I really don't "feel" her in this album much at all. I honestly think that the project as a whole was utterly beneath her save for "Miles Away" and "Voices."

Well, that seems to be what 95% of her fans think. Trust me, I've read many a disparaging post here and on a Madonna forum I sometimes go to. lol.