Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray of Light

I remember that! So wonderful. She just isn't like that anymore.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Also, I wish "Ray of Light" (the song) would be recognized for the amazing cover that it is.
    Wow, I never knew this either. And you know, that original song is not half bad at all.

I really love the demos from this era.

"Like a Flower" is one of her best unreleased songs, IMO.

This album is a stone-cold classic. I was definitely a hard-core Madonna fan for a while before this came out, and I was floored when I first heard "Frozen" and saw the gorgeous, gorgeous video. I love the production on this record. I love how warm and earthy her voice is.

I do think parts of this record have dated a bit more than some of her other releases. The new agey-spiritual stuff always felt a bit preachy, and the fact that she returned to that well a few too many times afterwards doesn't help this album in retrospect. That said, I'm being nit-picky. The high points on this album are VERY high.

I'll give a shout out to "To Have and Not to Hold," which rarely gets mentioned. I think it's beautiful.
    Last edited by sleeptheclock; 01-04-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    I'll give a shout out to "To Have and Not to Hold," which rarely gets mentioned. I think it's beautiful.
    Here here! My third favorite track from the album.

Another gorgeous song that (presumably) originated during the Ray of Light sessions (written by Madonna and William Orbit), "Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazón)," a duet with Ricky Martin which can be found on his self-titled album from 1999:

And here's the song with just Madonna's contribution. While never actually in the recording studio together, the two singers recorded their parts separately before the song was mixed together.

I now understand why Madonna sounds so deep in the final version. Her vocals were pitched down and the tempo was slowed to accommodate Ricky's key.

^The demo version seems to be sped up quite a bit on Youtube, hence the pitch shift.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    This was the first Madonna album I bought myself (well, I had my mom boy it for me). I was ten and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I still think it's pretty cool that she released an album along those lines, even though it's aged a bit. My favorites are "Mer Girl," (it doesn't even sound like a Madonna song!) "To Have and Not to Hold," and "Candy Perfume Girl."

The "You see?" which begins "Drowned World" is a sample taken from "Why I Follow the Tigers" by San Sebastian Strings. The writers of the song have a co-writing credit on "Drowned World" as it shares a similar storyline.

The poem by Max Blagg that informed the lyrics of "Sky Fits Heaven," read by Blagg for a 1993 GAP commercial. Blagg was allegedly paid for the use of the lines so as not to receive a writing credit.

An interpolation of the song "Space" by Gabor Szabo was used to create "Mer Girl."

Why all these posts about inspirations/samples for songs all of a sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Why all these posts about inspirations/samples for songs all of a sudden?
    Why not? It's relevant and I just think it's interesting.
    Last edited by Joey; 01-19-2012 at 03:11 AM.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    WHY not?! I love all those little bits of information (thanks for sharing!). I think they are incredibly fascinating.

I wonder what she is reciting in the demo/instrumental version of Drowned World. It's pretty much intelligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    The "You see?" which begins "Drowned World" is a sample taken from "Why I Follow the Tigers" by San Sebastian Strings. The writers of the song have a co-writing credit on "Drowned World" as it shares a similar storyline.

Wow, they got a writing credit for this? Besides the "You See" sample, I don't see any other similarities. (Same with the "Mer Girl" one...)

And count me in as someone who loves these "inspiration" videos too. I had no idea so many of her songs started with someone else's.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    One of those albums that I played to death for a couple of years after it's release, then took a long break, so now whenever I put it back on I'm taken right back to those days. A good feeling.

Talking of influences, does Caroline Lavelle's 1995 William Orbit produced LP "Spirit" get the credit it deserves as being pretty much Ray of Light 0.9? A bit less pop, a bit more mellow, but definitely cut from the same cloth:

I'll have to check out her album!