07. Don't Tell Me
    08. What It Feels Like for a Girl
    09. Paradise (Not for Me)
    10. Gone

The videos:

"Music"

"Don't Tell Me"

"What It Feels Like for a Girl"

Her tightest and "coolest" album, in my opinion. It took me YEARS to fully appreciate, but it's pretty perfect.

I agree but I still pretty much hate Amazing, mostly because it's just a complete rehash of Beautiful Stranger, would have been fine as a b-side. The rest is ... amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Homogenik View Post
    I agree but I still pretty much hate Amazing, mostly because it's just a complete rehash of Beautiful Stranger, would have been fine as a b-side. The rest is ... amazing though.
    Contentious statement, but I think "Amazing" is a much better song than "Beautiful Stranger." :P

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    it's probably my favorite album of hers as a whole and i think it was a perfect follow-up to Ray of Light. i loved the way Rolling Stone described it in their review:

"Unlike Ray of Light's pristine inner-ear landscapes, Music is dirty, casually urgent, as if Madonna walked into the studio, got on the mike and let the machines bump."

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    it's probably my favorite album of hers as a whole and i think it was a perfect follow-up to Ray of Light. i loved the way Rolling Stone described it in their review:
    That's an awesome assessment.

This is a strange era to me, in that it had her last truly huge American hit, but it also seems to be a bit overlooked...maybe less iconic?

well it did lack a clear image ; the cowgirl thing was kind of sketched and didn't mean much... CADF had the disco tights, HC the crotch flash and the desire to be relevant again image, ROL had the spiritual girl look, etc. And the title, Music, was very general and did not communicate any strong concept or idea.

I remember listening to the song "Music" for the first time, and just came away totally baffled by it. It sounded nothing like I had ever heard. I had to listen to it many times before I got it. The album has some of her strongest songs in her entire catalog. It's funny that Impressive Instant was never a single, b/c I everyone I knew loved it so much. I think the What It Feels Like For a Girl video is one of her best.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    ^ see, i think the concept of the title and the cowboy aesthetic were intentionally very simple: to put the focus on the music instead of her celebrity persona as Madonna. it's something she could never escape, especially at the stage in her career, so i think it was very clever to choose an aesthetic as as iconic yet universal and traditional and part of American pop culture as the cowboy.

I wish her tour video for "Paradise (Not for Me)" had been officially released. It's simply stunning.

I love her vocal on this song so much. Quiet and vulnerable.

On paper, I know this album is on par with Ray of Light/American Life/Confessions but for some reason I just don't connect with it in the same way. What It Feels Like For A Girl is one of Madge's best tracks though, and the video is up there as a definite classic in her canon. Amazing and Runaway Lover are also favorites.

Oddly enough, I feel like Music and Don't Tell Me are two of the weakest tracks on the album, even if they were two of the biggest hits Madonna had in the 00's.

One from the album sessions, "Liquid Love" is one of my favorites. Definitely works as a bridge song between Ray of Light and Music.

I believe there are at least two versions of this song, but this one is my favorite.

This album is in the upper echelons on my favorite Madonna records. It's pretty much a perfect record. So tight and cohesive. I actually love the cowgirl look and felt it was fitting ... Madonna as urban cowgirl, scoping out new frontiers. When I think of cowboys/cowgirls, I think: adventure, discovery, icons, the past. Music felt like her way of updating all this. She was a modern cowgirl, marrying some more sparse tracks ("Gone," "I Deserve It") with fresher electronic sounds. She was mining new territory but also echoing her own legacy a bit ("Music" was really her biggest hit song about dancing and being carefree since her very earliest records).

She struck a really nice balance on this record between frivolity and introspection. The first half is the party, but the songs get more personal as the record continues, without getting self-indulgent.