Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music

I love the *squishhhhh* sounds during Liquid Love!

I like the other version of Liquid Love better, but am glad it was left off the album.

Music is a quick digest, as are all of the songs, except maybe Paradise (which is an album favorite).

This is the one Madonna album where I feel the ballads are stronger than the dance songs. Impressive Instant is a fan favorite, but I think her voice is too manipulated on it, which keeps me from fully enjoying it, and Runaway Lover is a throwaway track. When Music is good, it's excellent, and it's never bad, but it does feel boring at some moments. Every album track was improved on tour, imo.

And here's the b-side to the "Music" single as well as the bonus track to the album on the Japanese and Australian editions, "Cyber-Raga."

Cyber-raga is awesome.

Inspirations/roots:

Mirwais's song "Never Young Again" features virtually the exact beat that was later used on "Music":

Joe Henry's song, "Stop," on which "Don't Tell Me" is based:

Last edited by Joey; 01-19-2012 at 02:24 AM.

I don't think it's something really interesting or important, but the Music version of "Paradise" is 4 seconds longer than the version of the album of Mirwais (Music: 6.33; Production: 6.29). And I think there are very small changes, but they're so small that I couldn't really tell you where's the difference between one version and the other; it just doesn't feel like the exact same song.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

They are different. I remember having the Mirwais version first n then when Music came out I noticed the difference. I can't remember how though

After the french verse in Paradise(not for me), the little instrumental break is longer on the Music version. The part where it gets all fuzzy and dreamy (my favorite part of the whole song!).
    Baby, show me your hand

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Listened to this album again today for the first time in a few years. I had it in my head that I didn't like it that much, but it's way better than I remembered. There really is some great stuff on it. I think the weakest song is "Nobody's Perfect" but pretty much everything else hits the mark (although I've tired of "Music.")

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Listened to this album again today for the first time in a few years. I had it in my head that I didn't like it that much, but it's way better than I remembered. There really is some great stuff on it. I think the weakest song is "Nobody's Perfect" but pretty much everything else hits the mark (although I've tired of "Music.")
    I used to think "Nobody's Perfect" was the weakest link too, and it probably is but I've grown to like it. I just love the part where the music drops and it's just her and the guitar. Lyrics are still pretty daft but she sounds so smooth, and gentle. This is the album where she used her ROL voice/post-vocal lessons voice and applied it to pure pop music. American Life seems to be when her voice started to weaken a tad, but it still sounds great. Confessions... marks the real change in her voice, in my opinion.

But back to Music, I remember that after American Life, people wanted Mirwais to disappear but after the past few albums, I'd love for her to work with him again. not sure what he's done lately, but I doubt he'd let her veer so far into this vocoder-heavy dance that governs pop at the moment. My favorite part of Music is the marriage between organic instruments and electronica. The acoustic guitar morphs are great, in my opinion. Plus, "Don't Tell Me" is one of her best songs, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    My favorite part of Music is the marriage between organic instruments and electronica. The acoustic guitar morphs are great, in my opinion. Plus, "Don't Tell Me" is one of her best songs, ever.
    Word!
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    One from the album sessions, "Liquid Love" is one of my favorites. Definitely works as a bridge song between Ray of Light and Music.

I believe there are at least two versions of this song, but this one is my favorite.
    Not sure if this is the place for this, but it looks like there's 3 versions confirmed by William Orbit. Listen here, versions 1 and 3 I haven't heard before http://www.hardcandymusic.com/2012/0...-versions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I remember reading Madonna wanted to be a part of Memoirs Of A Geisha, the movie...that always intrigued me. The lyrics for this song could also be viewed as how a geisha might feel herself

A new demo from the "Music" sessions leaked:

Shameful confession, just discovering this album now. I had the impression everything on it was like the title track, which I was never too fond of. I looove the acoustic tracks. I'm not a big fan of the electronica. Doesn't feel cohesive to me as an album, I dunno, maybe I don't really get it yet at 1st listen. But American Life seems like the album where she merged the two styles more successfully throughout it, instead of just making a bunch of electronica/dance and then jarringly switching to a guitar.

Gone, I Deserve It, Don't Tell Me are amazing
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.