Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music

^ I really love "Amazing" as well... I know people complain about it being too similar to "Beautiful Stranger" but, if you ask me, it's x10000 better...

Banned
    The symphonic coda at the end of Don't Tell Me completely transports me.

Oh, I think this is easily one of her best albums. No fat, just a near-perfect pop album. I have very fond memories of having moved to San Francisco just before this album was released, and this record was my soundtrack to learning a new city. I think the marriage of acoustic and electronic works perfectly, and it was a genius follow-up to Ray of Light. As stellar as Ray of Light is, it's also a little prissy in spots, let's be honest. Music shows us a Madonna who is adult but also brings back her cheeky, playful side. I loved the visuals--the urban cowgirl persona was a perfect match for the songs, since it signifies a sense of adventure and exploring new territories (the electronic side) as well as valuing what is traditional (the acoustic side).

I am VERY fond of American Life--I think it's a bold and risky album, and very Madonna. It's not as pop as Music, and I give her credit for releasing a less accessible, "harder" album. At the time, it was also unusual for her to be working with the same main producer two albums in a row, and I liked that she and Mirwais were looking to further expand and play with their sound. That said, she had already mined the it's-lonely-at-the-top/poor-little-rich-girl/fame-ain't-all-it's-cracked-up-to-be themes effectively enough on Ray of Light, and there is only so much of that I want to hear from Madonna. They are not particularly deep or engaging themes. Ray of Light benefitted from the fact that she had not really opened up about those topics on record before, the music on the album was warm and inviting, and she was singing from a more personal point of view. On several tracks on American Life, she comes across as well-intentioned but awkward and chilly. That said, I think American Life has some of her best songs, and even the ones I am less fond of have aspects I enjoy (the production is stellar throughout). Everything from "Nothing Fails" on is pretty much gold, and I love "Love Profusion," dippy lyrics and all.

I remember hearing Paradise (Not For Me) long before the album was out (because the edit was on Mirwais' solo album) or maybe it just leaked, and I thought it was amazing. Still to this day a big fan of Impressive Instant. I wish the European edition didn't finish with American Pie though, because I fucking hate that song.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I remember hearing Paradise (Not For Me) long before the album was out (because the edit was on Mirwais' solo album) or maybe it just leaked, and I thought it was amazing. Still to this day a big fan of Impressive Instant. I wish the European edition didn't finish with American Pie though, because I fucking hate that song.
    Yeah, her cover of that song is one of the all-time worst bastardizations of an amazing song of all time.

But I echo the sentiments about this album remaining so wonderful. I think it's strangely underrated, actually. It's one of, if not THE most concise, effortlessly cool, and filler-less album of her career, in my opinion.

I really really like American Pie. I loved it when I was a kid, love it now.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Jupiter View Post
    I really really like American Pie. I loved it when I was a kid, love it now.
    Same here. I think it's a great cover. It really doesn't fit with the rest of the album though.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    HATE American Pie. I'm sorry, horrible cover and video.

Didn't Music leak like more than a month before it's release or something crazy like that? I remember having the album like wayyy before it was released and I thought it was really awesome as getting music online was kind of a new thing to me back then. I remember I got right before a trip back east, and I played the fuck out of it.

Definitely one of her best, in my top 3 albums for sure. Pop perfection.
    Last edited by BettahDevil; 04-16-2015 at 12:57 AM. Reason: horrible COVER, orig is a classic

It's number 2 behind Ray of Light for me.

ok is Paradise (Not for Me) the most brilliant thing ever or what
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    ^ Yep. I miss Mirwais.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Somehow Music doesn't do much for me.

For me, "Runaway Lover" "Amazing" and "What It Feels Like For A Girl" are all throwaways.

And I kind of like "Don't Tell Me"... but I kind of don't.

Take those out, and it's a really tight six-track EP. But that's the best I can say about it.

Personally I like American Life infinitely more.

I agree with Joey on ALL counts, in this thread. Music is #2 behind Ray of Light. Though, coming on the heels of RoL, I was disappointed at first. But, oh, how it grew on me.

It seems Lady gaga is trying out her own Music era.

Does anybody know if there's any info about this album being released on 180 gr vinyl? Bedtime Stories and Ray Of Light did; I'd love to have this one and American Life on vinyl.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.