Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: American Life

Had such a moment with this album today. That 1-2-3 punch that is Nobody Knows Me/Intervention/X-Static Process never cease to make me cry.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I remember being somewhat disappointed with this album when it first came out, because it didn't hold up to Ray of Light in Music. But, over time, I've come around and it really is a darn good record. The only song I skip is "I'm So Stupid" but the rest, especially when they come up on shuffle, are so wonderful. The production is really dry at times, rather than the atmospheric dance music that came before and after, but that really adds to the experience.
    This still holds true for me. The album is really wonderful, with the exception of I'm So Stupid (which I really have grown to dislike MORE over the years.) I actually rank it as my 3rd favorite Madonna album after RoL and Music. *gasp* That revelation has come very recently, as I have been listening to Madonna pretty much non-stop in celebration of Ray of Light's anniversary.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Some albums, including ROL, have more singles that I love, but as an album, I think American Life is her best.

Madonna's 'American Life': Revisiting the Divisive Album 15 Years Later
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...n-life-revisit
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    @SloppyJane I can't give you rep but thanks for sharing!

I love this album--it's bold and filled with interesting contrasts. I love Mirwais' production style. Her singing on this album is quite beautiful in many places and she takes chances with her vocals in ways we had not really heard before. There are a LOT of great songs on here. That said, the album has a really slow kick-off--for my money, the worst three songs on the record are all clumped together at the beginning. Fortunately, even the weaker stuff here is at least interesting--which is better than starting off an album with "Girl Gone Wild."

As it stands, I love how scrappy and ambitious this whole project was. It's kind of a forgotten gem in her catalog, even if I can understand why it didn't really connect with most people. And the tour was perfection.

I'm very glad to hear she's working with Mirwais on the new album! American Life was divisive but in 2003 I don't think anybody would have believed a decade later she would go on to release muck like Girl Gone Wild, SEX and Turn Up The Radio.

The distortion on her vocals right before the choir kicks in on "Nothing Fails" always ruins the song for me. It's such a great, strong song and then she fucked it up by distorting those vocals. The only thing I truly hate about the album (though I also strongly prefer the 'live' version of Nobody Knows Me over the album version).

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    The distortion on her vocals right before the choir kicks in on "Nothing Fails" always ruins the song for me. It's such a great, strong song and then she fucked it up by distorting those vocals. The only thing I truly hate about the album (though I also strongly prefer the 'live' version of Nobody Knows Me over the album version).
    What do you mean by “distorting?”

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    What do you mean by “distorting?”
    I'm talking about the vocals that start at 2:22. The way there are distorted ruins the whole song for me. They sound very lo-fi and crackly.