Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American Life

Speaking of Nothing Fails...

Worst single cover ever? Seriously, WTF?

I think the Che and political thing was tacked on at the end of the whole process as a marketing ploy to get attention. The album isn't political and there's no "extreme point of view" on the first single no matter what Madonna says. If anything, there's a politics of the intimate on the album but that doesn't sell I guess, which is too bad. It's her most intimate album and her most personal, along with Ray of Light.

Here's Regina Spektor covering "Love Profusion."

What a random but insanely perfect cover for her to do! Love Regina.

The album was released 10 years ago today.

I remember when it came out, and I remember listening to it for the first time in the guest room of the townhouse I was living in with my then boyfriend at the time. Those were good times being a Madonna fan. I remember listening to the album on the way to New Orleans for the Tori Amos show supporting Scarlet's Walk on 4/29/2003.

Love this album. Last one I've truly adored. "Nobody Knows Me" and "Nothing Fails" are classics. I have a super soft spot for "Intervention."
    A couple duds, but a lot of really wonderful stuff.

10 Years. That is insane.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I also have some fond memories attatched to this record. SO underrated. American Life is one of my favorite summer albums too. We're in the mid-nineties here, so I think i'll bust it out tonight and celebrate it's anniversary.

Loved her look during this era too...

Love this record, regardless of the missteps. "Nothing Fails" through "X-Static Process" are some of my favorites.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

[ validated ]
    One of her best. Even the title track grown to be one of my favorites. I've never really made the comparison until now, but like Tori's Scarlet's Walk album, I feel like American Life was one of the more interesting post 9/11 records.
    Last edited by C33; 04-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.

I'm not a big Madonna fan, I only like Ray of Light and this one, and this one's my fave. I just love everything about it bar the title track. X-Static Process is my favourite Madonna song, and Easy Ride, Nothing Fails and Hollywood are close.

Absolutely love the unity of acoustic guitar, strings and electronica throughout the album, the production is just perfect. I dislike the title track and think it should've been scrapped or something, and it's a shame it opens the era and the album because the stuff that follows it is just so much better.

I prefer this Madonna over the dance/pop one, even though that one is the more ''real'' one I guess, which is why I'm not a fan aside from the two most ''alternative'' albums she has.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

This AL outtake is heaven
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I enjoy AL and never had a problem with the album. Sure, American Life wasn't a great choice for the first single and the rap contained therein wasn't the best... but the album overall wasn't remotely paint-by-numbers in its sound. It really achieved an distinct identity and voice.

At the time, it seemed as if the OMFG, Madonna's new album sucks! sentiment had a sort of bandwagon effect.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I'm brand new to American Life (except Die Another Day of course). Have to say I really like it. It's the one Madonna album that has an improvisational feel to me, almost even a singer-songwriter vibe. The mix of acoustic and electronic is something I've never heard anywhere else really, at least nothing comparable comes to mind, and I think it's cool and really kind of fresh. I absolutely adore "push the button/don't push the button" lyrics in Hollywood. Also I think the video is extremely entertaining, artistic, and showcases Madonna's sense of humor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZqmX-c7Ey0

I love Love Profusion, Nobody Knows Me, Nothing Fails. Intervention. I like the title track too, though I do understand why the casual public wouldn't immediately get the joke when Madonna raps things like: "I've got a lawyer, a manager or 5..." (since this is literally true).

It's an early conclusion but it strikes me as something really special in her catalog. I think it followed the Music album, but in my opinion is way better. (Music is the most overrated Madonna album in my opinion.) And yes, there are some rather obvious lyrics, but they seem to come from a sincere place.

The only decision I challenge for sure is the inclusion of Die Another Day. Feels super out of place to me. Kind of breaks the spell.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Also I think Mother and Father is kinda amazing.