Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Choirgirl Hotel

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Really nice "Jackie's Strength" from Letterman, July 27, 1998

dear god, she was so beautiful there.

i stayed up late the night that aired to record it on my VHS tape with all the other tori peformances.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

I always forget (since I listen to mp3s) how striking the cover is.

Pose in glamorous outfits and stare into the distance for no reason? Bore me to tears. Squish your face in a copy machine and call it an album cover? You've got my attention!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I hink the cover is absolutely fantastic and I feel like it captures the sound of the album well. All wild and dark and mysterious and oddly beautiful. Choirgirl took me a while to warm to but my goodness a large amount of her best work is on this album. I think she was at the top of her game around this period. Her live performances were perfect, so effortless and quite refined but full of passion. I think it's up there with the best; I don't rank her albums but this has to be up there.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post

Pose in glamorous outfits and stare into the distance for no reason? Bore me to tears. Squish your face in a copy machine and call it an album cover? You've got my attention!
    I wish she would do something gritty and sexy like that again. I like the music of the last few albums alright but I've been sorely disappointed with the album artwork. I seriously want mud on the next album. I would pay big bucks to see tori covered from head to toe in mud.

Brilliant album. My very first.

And by golly the absolute BEST collection of b-sides from any one album of her entire career.

I love the photo shoot that was done in the dark blue lighting. Goth Tori was so hot...

Ah! I completely forgot about the map - which spells "R.I.P"

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Really nice "Jackie's Strength" from Letterman, July 27, 1998

And the map!

Hands down, Choirgirl is my favorite album of all artists. There might be long stretches (6 or 8 months) where I don't listen, but it's like a long-term love. Whenever I hear it, I'm always drawn to the honesty of it. It just cuts through all the bs/noise and hits me in places I didn't even know I had. And while I can't personally relate to this experience, the line from Playboy Mommy "I'll say it loud here, by your grave/Those angels can't ever take my place" guts me every time.

And I remember seeing this on MTV when it first came out. I love her description of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, but it's at 3:40, where she talks about having a miscarriage. There's something very haunting about it. People said that she was marketing pain, but in this, it seems very real and honest in a way that few artists are. I think that's why the Fori incarnation doesn't quite bother me as much as it does for others. Besides the bad plastic surgery, I think she's purposefully made (kind of) stinker albums. She can sell and tour on a level that she likes, but she's not so big that it will wreck her family. I admire that about her. I think she's made of pretty stern stuff, but to put it out there for others to judge. That's just incredible (not to mention the musical genius she packs it with)

Banned
    I loved that Revue with Tori Amos. I taped it on my VCR and watched it over and over and over. I love the Robert Plant story:

Tori, dahling, it's Robert!

Robert? Robert from NBC?

No dahling, Robert Plant, dahling.

Also it's somewhat interesting to me when she makes the little aside about being vain and looking in the mirror all the time. And it is too cute when she she does the stroking her whiskers face!

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Love that video too. That's why I can't feel any hate towards things like Ribbons Undone or her "softening" when she had Tash.

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    FTCH is my 2nd favorite Tori album, and was the first one I ever owned. I saw the video for "Spark" and immediately though, "I need that album." It actually took me a while to get into--I later bought Little Earthquakes and got into that first--but after LE I fell in love with FTCH.
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world

Banned
    There was a real sense of, I dunno, zeitgeist or something with Choirgirl. I mean, “Jackie’s Strength” is the song Tori uses to align herself with Second Wave feminism, and with her Sixties babies, Seventies tweens generational peers. My brother used to subscribe to Metal Edge (I think it was called) in the Eighties. I would look at the magazine (it was a hair metal mag), but I was too young to be into that music. But anyway, I sometimes still wonder what ever happened to those ripped jeans Bon Jovi loving hair metal girls of that era. Girls who were young women in the Eighties, like Tori.. I hear that grown up girl on Choirgirl. And here there’s a sense on this album of Tori as a woman - singing about a lost child, instead of a lost boyfriend/friend. I also think there’s lots of specters haunting the hotel - the presence of Tori’s Lost Weekend of Y Kant Tori Read can be heard on the more campy rocking songs, especially She’s Your Cocaine.” Lyrically, Tori could sing about sleepovers and lip gloss, just random basic things about life and growing up, assembling pieces of her flawed self without all the (lyrical) mythology of the earlier albums. Songs like “Playboy Mommy” evoke almost road trips - or Tori’s time in New Mexico, or her time in the “L.A. food chain,” as she would put it. A certain kind of- I dunno- tacky Americana that can be the salvation for some people. But I have to get to Texas. There’s that perennial rock spirit in there, ya know? Texas is the place where I’m going to remake myself and get the fuck away from all the pain and confusion of my home town. I’m gonna get my shit together. Songs like iieee still harken back to the mythology, but in this way that is different. When she screams, “we scream in cathedrals, why can’t it be beautiful” it’s like she’s acknowledging the way she’s hidden pain before, (in obtuseness) but why can’t that be art?

Anyway this is a weird post, I just felt like riffing on Choirgirl. The sense of a grown up rocker chick who’s too smart for her own good is the feeling that I think it’s always givin me. She’s been to the raves (raspberry swirl), she’s been in campy bar bands (Cocaine), she’s been bored out of her mind and messing with neighborhood boys in the suburbs (Jackie’s Strength), but now she’s grown up and she’s not a party girl LA Bimbo anymore. You were wild, where are you now? And yet she can’t run from all the pieces of herself. She assembles them into the Hotel. I’m still alive. I’m still alive.

Sorry again if this is a pretentious post. I just typed it out stream-of-conciousness because I'm bored.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    Nuhn, I actually enjoyed reading your Choirgirl riff, so by all means riff on the other albums if you are so inspired to do so!

I remember going to a famous French cd store in France which, oddly enough, used to have the cds before the release and you could listen to it with headphones (but you could not buy it). So I listened to it and my first impression was : "where is the piano ??". Not that it bothered me, on the contrary, I was so happy to have more energetic songs.

Hotel is my all-time favourite. I remember going on vacation to Scotland a couple of days after the release of that album, and I spent hours in the car I rented listening to the album and Hotel. A Masterpiece !!

yeah, the b sides were fantastic.

Back to the French store, I remember (what a good memory I have !) the seller told me that he was impressed because Tori Amos was not Madonna but almost. I think at the time Tori was at her peak and her albums would sell just like that, even in France where her success is limited after all.

I miss cd singles with b sides...
    Yeah great album indeed !

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post

I have the album cover as my wallpaper on my iPhone. It looks she's squished and trapped in the phone. I chose it for that specifically.

I have my own miniature, squished Tori.

It makes me giggle.

I just had to share.