Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Choirgirl Hotel

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Yeah, I was going to say- I feel like Choirgirl has held up pretty well. Still sounds pretty fresh to my ears.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Choirgirl is one of the ones that sounds the best to me, beautifully rich and a lot of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    Choirgirl is my most listened to T album but good LORD does it need a thorough remaster. It sounds muddy and sometimes I hate listening to it. There's too much space in the mixes and it doesn't sound tight or crisp like Venus does. I almost never listen to Playboy Mommy because throughout the song there's this sound I hear that you get when you leave the TV on and nothing's playing but you can hear a high pitched buzzing noise. Drives me crazy.

I came here to write something other than jab at the production. Hm. Maybe I'll remember someday.
    I think that's just the ambient noise, which wouldn't be removed in a remaster. I think it's most prominent in Northern Lad.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is my favorite version of Liquid Diamonds.....that intro though!

Look at that setlist - JFC. Father Lucifer, Blood Roses, Liquid Diamonds, Space Dog, Carbon, Spark, Never Seen Blue, Toast, Barons of Suburbia...

I actually don't love that Liquid Diamonds though... it's full of that stilted thing she does where she just refuses to give into the melody and seems like she's fighting against it in places and chopping at it and putting all these pauses in it - why does she do that?!

There's one or two pretty good Liquid Diamonds performances from that tour - I mean, the arrangement is cool - but damn. So many of them were such DIRGES. I still die inside when I hear her do Liquid Diamonds solo post-2001.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    There's one or two pretty good Liquid Diamonds performances from that tour - I mean, the arrangement is cool - but damn. So many of them were such DIRGES. I still die inside when I hear her do Liquid Diamonds solo post-2001.
    Melbourne, Florida - Legs and Boots:

You're a Diamond (improv)
    Liquid Diamonds

IT IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! (okay - it is with the band)
    Last edited by Beelust; 08-30-2017 at 01:32 AM.
    Robbing the muse...

Band Liquid Diamonds is completely different. I'll take that any time. (Also that is a great performance)
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Sadly, there's no solo LD pre 2005...

This song has always been hit or miss live, to me. I quite like 2005 version, when she doesn't dirge too much, 'cause that was the only time she truly reinvented it. She often uses bad synth sounds, with the band they use a backing track from the album, complete with fade-in, which I detest. And she rarely does the final bridge. She probably considers it an impro, since it's not even printed of the official booklet, but she could at least add something interesting in its place, maybe a new live bridge (like she did with Juarez, for example).

I like the version from Warsaw 2014. She uses a Rhodes sample, and I think that song was meant to be played on the Rhodes.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

It looks like Tori has confirmed a Choirgirl remaster/re-release for next year. We've started a thread for it and will update as we get more info:

http://unforumzed.com/showthread.php...aster-Re-issue

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I don't know why they cancelled Frankfurt as an official bootleg. That would have been the BEST ONE.

Liquid Diamonds from that tour is , I don't even care that it's a slow dirge because the piano part at the beginning is AMAZING.

I feel like the live versions sometimes need the main parts of the song edited out, with all the improv parts left. I want to tell her that if she doesn't feel like singing the whole song, then DON'T, just make up stuff. Crucify from WTSF was like that, like if she left out the chorus and saved it til the end, it would've been amazing from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I don't know why they cancelled Frankfurt as an official bootleg. That would have been the BEST ONE.

Liquid Diamonds from that tour is , I don't even care that it's a slow dirge because the piano part at the beginning is AMAZING.

I feel like the live versions sometimes need the main parts of the song edited out, with all the improv parts left. I want to tell her that if she doesn't feel like singing the whole song, then DON'T, just make up stuff. Crucify from WTSF was like that, like if she left out the chorus and saved it til the end, it would've been amazing from start to finish.
    It was never meant to be an official bootleg. It was broadcasted on radio that's why it's circulating in HQ and that cover artwork on the youtube video is fan-made. But you are right the performances on that show are better than the officialy released ones. Although I think Manchester and Chicago shows were also awesome.

Man, I thought that Frankfurt show was mostly mediocre. Honestly, outside of the first couple of shows, there is not a single show from that tour I would listen to in full.

I know there was an official pre-broadcast CD-R of that show, which is where the boot comes from. It fades/out in after the Piano Bar, just like official ones... I guess I just assumed it was part of that set.

EDIT: Frankfurt has Blood Roses, Liquid Diamonds, an interesting Spark, and Sleeps with Butterflies' BEST version. The rest I can mostly skip, and that's true of every 2005 show -- between 0 and 5 keepers, then bleh. It gets literally painful trying to translate the extended nasal whines into English language after awhile.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-06-2017 at 11:09 PM.

I don't like either of those Blood Roses or Liquid Diamonds performances - but I only think she really got Blood Roses down near the end of that tour and into Summer of Sin. That is a pretty good Sleeps with Butterflies though.

^ I love Blood Roses because it sounds like evil church music. And it's in high quality here so I never sought out any other versions from this tour.