Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Candy

I completely agree with Sleep on this one (I certainly couldn't have said it any better!) - "Hard Candy" ranks among my favorite Madonna albums.

Gives one pause, but also proves my point about the era aesthetically.

I like the ones on the left so much better.

You are what you wear. Corey Haim's Avatar
    i don't know...at this time, i actually prefer the colorful edited ridiculous candy ones on the right.
    It basically comes down to that word: love. I guess that's what it's all about.

they reduced the size of her legs...

I think the images are pretty heinous regardless. That album cover remains one of my least favorite by anyone.

I actually don't mind the album art, it's quite aesthetically appealing colour-wise, if very dull and drab in actual design/execution. It's quite ridiculous her in these boxing/fighter poses in front of candy.

Some of the photoshopping is WAY too much though, especially on the last pair. :s

[ validated ]
    I think it's a great album. Feels a bit old school. Reigned in a bunch of hot and trendy producers but still made it her own. I don't like "Incredible" and could probably do without "Spanish Lesson," but other than that, it's pretty solid. A fitting farewell to Warner Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    In terms of the visuals/videos, this was the least focused she's ever been, which is a shame.

I'm going to have to voice an unpopular sentiment ... I really like this album. I think it gets unfairly shit on. No way do I think it's her worst album. In fact, I like it much better than it's predecessor, COAD. I actually feel Madonna's presence on HC more than on COAD. Her vocals are more colorful and alive here, and there's an urgency to the songs. It's funny, I always heard the album as Madonna's struggling against time. Clearly, she has been criticized for fighting too hard against aging, not being graceful, whatever, but the songs really do seem to be ABOUT those struggles to me. She wants to dance off into the sunset, she's aware that her relationship is in trouble and is looking back in time at when things were better, she's aware that competitors (both romantic and professional) are nipping at her heels. To me, this album feels so much more personal than COAD.
    I like your use of 'urgency' here. I've never really thought about what it is that I like about the album but it's somewhere in that direction.
    It has an honesty about it, it's straighforward. COADF is maybe somewhat more formal in its message and delivery.
    When HC came out I had no interest in it, M was slipping fast. But when I actually got to hear some of the songs I couldn't believe how much I liked them. This album reminds me quite a lot of her Pre-Madonna stuff. Simple, raw, some bubblegum, some heartbreak. The joy of Gi2M is so infectious I can't even describe it.

After many years of neglect I put on the album last weekend and can only say I thoroughly enjoyed it (minus 2-3 exceptions and the heinous noise on Voices)

I think many of the songs would lend themselves to being turned into unplugged versions with more soulful, maybe even jazzy, undertones.

This album divides me. On one hand, it has some of the best tracks she's done in the first decade of the 2000s. Heartbeat, Miles Away, and She's Not Me are quintessential Madonna, just amazing. Then there's some really good tracks like Beat Goes On (minus Kanye), Devil…, and Voices.

On the other hand the rest of the tracks are just there, and feel quite hollow. It wasn't just the album promotion and visuals that are so off-putting, her delivery in the album feels like she's just phoning it in. And in my opinion, she's delivering some of her laziest vocals on record. Whereas on Bedtime Stories, she sounded seductive and pretty with the R&B recordings, the R&B/Hip Hop music of HC are not suitable for her vocals, making them sound tinny and haggard.

In retrospect I still think American Life is her worst album, but at least she seemed passionate and focused about the album's motivations. Here it feels like she's quickly fulfilling a record contract.

Pharrell's Demos:

Early version of "Beat Goes On":

The best things to come out of this era were the outtakes Across The Sky and Lela Pala Tute.

I actually really liked Across the Sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Homogenik View Post
    they reduced the size of her legs...
    And removed the muscle tone from her arms.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Am listening to Hard Candy for the first time since about 2008. I actually quite like "Candy Shop." And "She's Not Me" is a bit like Voulez-Vous era ABBA meets early '80s Blondie which isn't a bad thing (except it well outstays its welcome). But I am currently on "Incredible," the first four minutes of which are horrid. Some of this album is alright, some is quite embarrassing, and some is shite. Nothing is amazing.