Thread: Private Schooling

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar

Private Schooling

Do any of you guys send your kids to private school?

I went to private school for a few years during elementary, it was a Lutheran school, I think that's how my parents afforded it. (xtian ones are usually cheaper)

In my area we have TONS of private schools. Montessori, Waldorf, a variety of christian ones and tons of arty hippie ones. I would love to send my son and future daughter to one of these schools, even if it was just for partial elementary school, before I put them in a public junior high. But I really dont know why I'm attracted to private schools as much as I am. Are they mostly gimmicky? Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share, or stories from other mothers?

The only way I could get my kid into one is if I qualified for massive financial aid or became rich all of a sudden. Anything's possible, though!
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

I went to one from kindergarten through 5th, and then at that point told my mom that if she didn't put me in public school, I'd not be attending school again. My mom was a single parent, poor, and was only able to pay for my tuition because she was the executive secretary to the pastor. I was still "the poor kid," and while no one actively *said* anything to me about it, I never invited any of them to my house, and one teacher in particular loved to single me out and did so at every opportunity. Anytime anything went missing from class, I was the first to be accused, openly, and sent to the office where my mom would be called over and would get to witness my paddling. Later, when the lost object was found, I would eventually get an apology, but it didn't stop it from happening again. So that was my 5th grade year.

My younger two go to an A+ School, which is arts based. I like it. If I were forced to put them in a private school, it would have to be non-religious and arts based.