05 Juarez
    06 Glory of the '80s
    07 Zero Point
    08 Josephine
    09 Riot Poof
    10 Datura
    11 Spring Haze
    12 1000 Oceans

I really think this album is sorely missing Zero Point. From what I've heard Tori say, the song was taking too long to finish before the deadline so they abandoned it. I'm sure whatever unfinished track they were working from sounded better than this obvious Tales/AP rework... but I'm working on my own remix.

The only time it sounds good, is the whole climactic buildup before the piano coda. I don't know what she sings but it sounds like "I got a honey lemon iced tea, I want Vin Diesel's thing in me".... If that's not the lyric then I'm using it for myself
    Last edited by Octopussy; 04-18-2017 at 03:06 AM.

IIRC, she was also hesitant about putting two long songs on the album, and Datura was the one that was finished so she ended with that one there. I wonder if Zero appoint had been finished, if it had occupied the same place as Datura, after Riot Poof and before Spring Haze.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Whatever the reason, I hope they do give us another version of it at some point. Even a release of the live version, which was surprisingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post

The only time it sounds good, is the whole climactic buildup before the piano coda. I don't know what she sings but it sounds like "I got a honey lemon iced tea, I want Vin Diesel's thing in me".... If that's not the lyric then I'm using it for myself
    Oh I love that bit. I hear 'I got a honey honey lemon on me, I gotta ride it to the infantry.'

It is clearly the best part of the song, right? I love the squealy guitar part and all the crunching percussion sounds, it's like the moment an acip trip takes over your brain.

Lust is my favourite song on TVAB. Brilliantly and perfectly produced. Why can't Tori produce an entire album with songs produced to this quality!?!?!?
    Robbing the muse...

Lust was my favorite for the longest time, until I realized the brilliance of Suede. I'd say they are almost tied these days. I haven't really heard a Live version of Lust that matches the studio rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Why can't Tori produce an entire album with songs produced to this quality!?!?!?
    I would die!
    TVAB is Tori's best produced album in general. As far as I know, there's nothing out there that sounds like this, and it has aged very very well.
    (I feel it's her best album in general, a culmination of all her skills,, and seeing what came before, that's saying something )
    post28!

Venus is still my favorite record of hers
    Everything is so flawless in its execution.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I'm also inclined to see this as my favorite record as well. It's just so tight and perfect.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I don't really have favourites with Tori albums, especially when it comes to the first 7 which I think are basically perfect, but there is something about Venus that has always felt like home to me. It just resonates with me in a very specific way.

It still surprises me to hear what a meticulously crafted sound this album has -- how do you go from this and SLG, to all the fuddy-duddy stuff in the 2000's???

"Glory of the 80s" is one of my faves right now. My friend heard it, and told me he never knew Tori ever sounded like Alanis. I don't know why that single wasn't the most heavily promoted -- it was one of the most commercial songs she had done up to this point. And it was really good -- full of Tori's humor (the lyrics remind me of Jackie's Strength and Happy Phantom) great melodies, and a great chorus. Then they went and released Concertina... which is good, but exactly would a pop fan latch onto in that song? Not even fans really know what that one's about.

It still surprises me to hear what a meticulously crafted sound this album has -- how do you go from this and SLG, to all the fuddy-duddy stuff in the 2000's???
    This has consistently baffled me, also. I think that there was a programmer brought in for Choirgirl and Venus, which is why they sound so great. Mark and Marcel are very talented recording engineers and and live sound engineers, but they're not electronic producers, or beat programmers. (hence UG).

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Lest we not forget she was also under the yoke of ever-evil record executives back during her prime and I wonder just how that had an impact on the tightness and meticulosity of the Choirgirl/Venus era.

IJS. I just sayin'.

Juarez (2008 Remastered Version)

- a few others are listed as "2008 version", did the album get altered before being put up digitally?
    They say you were something in those formative years...