Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: To Venus and Back

^It's funny that you feel that way about TVAB, since I'm the opposite. It's always been the album that connected the least with me, and though I know it's technically (in terms of music/lyrics/production) better than TBK/AATS, Venus just doesn't do it for me like the other albums do.

The two things on the album that stand among Tori's best work are Datura (the "room in your heart" bridge is incredibly powerful) and Spring Haze. The rest is good and there isn't a single bad track, but it's just good, nothing that's over the top amazing. Suede comes close with the "little sister" ending, but the rest of the song isn't as strong and the ending doesn't build enough.

One thing that doesn't get talked about enough is the 1000 Oceans video, which made me love the song and is one of Tori's best videos:

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    As much as I don't like the song, the video for 1000 Oceans is breath-taking and makes me see the song in a little different light. Same goes with the visualettes, which, for the most part, I like. I just don't like the songs attached.

1000 Oceans, I think, was her best video by far. Heart-wrenching.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    I think most people are surprised when they see that I rank this as my #2 spot for top Tori albums. I bought the album along with Nine Inch Nail's The Fragile at midnight the day before its release. I remember having class the next day, but having to listen to the album. My cd player/stereo system booming out the thuds of "Lust" and connecting to the song so much so that it brought me to tears. I loved the Live Sugar from still orbiting. I eventually came over to the other side and made Suede my favorite song from that album after realizing its brilliance one day. And it helped that I saw the debut of Suede during the 5.5. Weeks Tour in Atlanta with a full moon out behind us during the outdoor performance.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    One thing that puzzles me about Venus generally is that "Glory of the 80s" isn't that popular. I think those are some great, imaginative lyrics there.

Also, I think she looked great.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I really like glory. Some of the lyrics are good, some are wtf, but the song is catchy and performed well.

I got this album a few days before her Vegas show with Alanis. We drove for 16 hours to that show and listened to Venus the whole way. I remember HATING it. Not because the songs themselves were bad, but because I thought "the girl and the piano are never coming back". Choirgirl took a while to digest because of the new sound, so I was not anticipating another "electronic" record. I was sorely disappointed when that's what we got. And 1000 Oceans? forget it. I was ready to turn in my fan card, flip the car around and go home. But we had won front row tickets to the Vegas show through MP3.com so we kept on trucking.

It took me SOOOO long to like this record. I didn't care for a lot of the live disk either because she sounded so nasal. I had only seen one show on the plugged tour and had one boot from the chicago radio show and didn't remember her being so nasal. Cruel was awful (I still think it's pretty shitty). So I would sit and listen to Cooling, holding on the last thin thread of the Tori I used to know.

I don't know when things changed. I do know it probably took the release of Scarlet for me to start appreciating Venus, and now it's in my top five. I probably listen to it more than any other Tori record lately. I think it is entirely under rated and parts of it are genius.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    ^ glad you finally warmed up to it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    One thing that puzzles me about Venus generally is that "Glory of the 80s" isn't that popular. I think those are some great, imaginative lyrics there.

Also, I think she looked great.

Lovely pics. I think Tori later said she didn't like her hair during this period though. She said it was too short and showed her ears sticking out too much. It's ironic because I think she'd look so much better now if she would just make her wig/weave shorter.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Well this thread has really made me want to approach TVAB again. It was big for me in my college years right when it was released. I used to be obsessed with Glory of the 80s and Concertina. I don't know why this album never stuck with me over the years, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it. It's probably just because I overplayed it so much in 99/00. This album came out at the height of my Tori fandom, so it was a HUGE deal upon release. I still get chills when I listen to Precious and Sugar from the live disc, I can say that.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Probably my secret favourite. I think other albums are her masterpieces and her opuses, but this is the little gem for those who are really in the know. Layered, cohesive, dark, shimmering and shadowy - it sends my synesthesia wild. I think this album is the b side of the albums - and there was one great way that Neil described it - a greatest hits record form another galaxy - that's exactly how it feels to me. The songs are solid, musically complex and layered, the lyrics are some of her most interesting and evocative and to top it all off, she recorded it by accident.

And that doesn't mention the live disc which is another near perfect record. The sense of space and earth between the two - they really compliment one another and they really all have the same hue. Sugar, Cruel, Bells for Her, Girl... I should just stop here becuase I don;t think there is one bad or misplaced song on that disc. The mist heartfelt rendition of Cooling probably in existence. This live disc captures everything that is great about her as a live performer and holds, for me, the definitive versions of so many of her song.

She talked a lot when it came out about how the album was about "just being a woman" and really - there's no overreaching theme except that she wrote it and felt it - probably her most effortlessly sexy album that deals with dark matter in a mature and womanly way - really? I can't say enough good about it.

And you know what? Great videos, and I fucking like 1,000 Oceans too, so there.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I thought Venus was her worst album.

Then TBK, ADP, and AATS happened.

Now I no longer think its her worst album. It has fared well by comparison. I still really hate Datura and Glory of the 80's, but other than that, I think it's solid.
    Last edited by Kari; 07-06-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: heat melting my brain

I enjoy Venus, but when I first listened to it, I thought the production sounded cheap next to the depth and richness of Choirgirl.

It's her worst album for Atlantic. Even SLG had New Age, and nothing on Venus is as good as that.

There are songs here that actually SUCK, and I can't say that about Earthquakes, Pink, Pele or Choirgirl. I know everyone hates the production on her newer albums, but what about Juarez and Riot Poof? '90s techno and NIN-lite? That SUCKS, Tori!!

Bliss, Suede, Spring Haze and Lust are my favorites, and the only songs that I actually feel and emotional connection with. Concertina and Glory of the 80s are bubblegum, which is ok too. Sometimes.

Josephine and 1000 Oceans are boring. And Datura sucks. There, I said it. One thing that would make it so much better is it the "dividing Canaan" part was mostly instrumental. Because after the fifth or sixth tuneless refrain and I am like "STFU" and hitting the "skip" button.
    A non-Librarianized Zero Point would've been a much better choice for the album... what are ya thinkin gurl?

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    Lovely pics. I think Tori later said she didn't like her hair during this period though. She said it was too short and showed her ears sticking out too much.
    If she said that, then not only is her hearing now failing her, but her eyesight is as well. She looks like a 30-something gorgeous woman in those photos with beautiful, wild, curly hair.