Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: To Venus and Back

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    It still surprises me to hear what a meticulously crafted sound this album has -- how do you go from this and SLG, to all the fuddy-duddy stuff in the 2000's???

"Glory of the 80s" is one of my faves right now. My friend heard it, and told me he never knew Tori ever sounded like Alanis. I don't know why that single wasn't the most heavily promoted -- it was one of the most commercial songs she had done up to this point. And it was really good -- full of Tori's humor (the lyrics remind me of Jackie's Strength and Happy Phantom) great melodies, and a great chorus. Then they went and released Concertina... which is good, but exactly would a pop fan latch onto in that song? Not even fans really know what that one's about.
    GOT8's was oddly the lead single in the UK instead of Bliss. And it of course has a proper video which hasn't ever been released since. Always wondered what was going on with that.

Re: Concertina

Do you ever feel like you walk in a room, and you don't know why, but you're just so uncomfortable you're crawling out of your skin, even though nobody's touched you, physically? That's in Concertina, when you feel like you haven't excavated enough of your different personalities that when one pops up, you're not sure where it came from, and you try to hack it out of yourself. It shocks you that you could have this kind of fault, or that other people could bring it out in you.
    Last edited by Venus_Envy; 09-18-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreen View Post
    Juarez (2008 Remastered Version)

- a few others are listed as "2008 version", did the album get altered before being put up digitally?
    I've been wondering about this too.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Re: Concertina
    I remember that quote. Still kinda abstract for pop success IMO. Her hit singles always have some kind of recognizable image or theme - people could have literally thought Cornflake Girl was about cereal, it may have even made the song more popular. But what's a concertina??? I know what that is but most people probably don't. And I remember sticker on my CD single said "TORI AMOS - CONCERTING"

As tweeted by @undented, TVAB is 18 years old today.

I bought it at midnight the night it was released as well as NIN's The Fragile.

This album put me in such a creative place when it came out. I even created a performance art/ dance piece set to Juarez (and a couple other songs) in my college theatre department (which was probably awful, but I thought it was inspired)

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    But what's a concertina???
    I actually thought for a long time that she was singing about a woman named "Concertina" .
    That was before I had internet. I think I even read it here or some other Tori forum what it actually was

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    This album was such a wonderful surprise at the time. I remain baffled by the tracklist choices for the live album., and would much rather have had a double live album with the studio album being a separate release.

However, that studio record is pretty damn good. It took me a while to get into GOT80's, but stellar live performances brought me around.

Bliss, Juarez, Lust, Concertina, Spring Haze and 1000 Oceans are among my all time most treasured Tori songs.

to venus and back is my favorite album. i imagine it always will be. i'm a sucker for electronica and tori's songwriting here is at her absolute cerebral best. she is tangibly inspired. the sonic journey she crafted is exciting and sensual. there are no lows, only highs until i'm in the fabric of the space and i can feel it and when i reach out to touch it i remember some long forgotten part of myself. it makes me nostalgic for all the lives i've never lived.
    Last edited by stoneforest; 09-20-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Got the singles for 1000 Oceans and Concertina today. Just need to get the two part Glory of the 80's and I'll have them all!

I was listening to the live version of Winter that came with the 1000 Oceans single. Gosh, those ladies with their screaming in the beginning are annoying as hell. "Woooouuh", Now me: "Woooouh", Now it's my turn: "Woooop" ... I will see my first US show in 2 weeks and I hope not all of them are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDoggy View Post
    I was listening to the live version of Winter that came with the 1000 Oceans single. Gosh, those ladies with their screaming in the beginning are annoying as hell. "Woooouuh", Now me: "Woooouh", Now it's my turn: "Woooop" ... I will see my first US show in 2 weeks and I hope not all of them are like that.
    Ugh you're in for a treat. People screaming, people singing along (my personal favorite) or people 'recognizing' the song after like 2 minutes when it's super super obvious which song she has been playing all this time. (and I'm not talking about, I don't know, Drive All Night or some shit like that, but more like Pretty Good Year or Caught a Lite Sneeze).

^ Judging by some bootlegs and YouTube videos, I am always amazed at how some audiences in North America behave during Tori concerts compared to the ones attending European shows. Like why do you need to scream that much DURING an actual song. Can't you keep your cheering to the end of the song?

Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
    Whatever is happening during the whole thing, particularly that shriek at 3:22
    OMG that was hilarious. Like, if I had actually been at the show, I would have wanted to cut a bitch, but it was so utterly ridiculous in video form. Some people should not be allowed to watch live entertainment.

I was lucky enough to see one show in Paris in 2014, and while the performance itself was very enjoyable, it was amazing to see/hear the difference in the crowd. Which only makes me more annoyed at American shows now. *womp womp*