Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: To Venus and Back

The Denver 99 show (though not technically part of the 5.5 Weeks Tour) and the solo London 99 show are the two best boots from that year hands down, IMO. What I wouldn't give to have both of those shows as official boots.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Also Nashville, which I'm just discovering has the best Blood Roses (way better than Las Vegas) in addition to the best ever Father Lucifer -- the improvs in that one could've been spliced together to create an amazing new song.

All three of the tours in 1999 were incredible in their own rights. Such a dark sound for all of them.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

To me, 1999 was her zenith, if we speak about shows with the band. Much better than 1998.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Yeah, they were truly coming together after playing so many shows.. Say what you will about Caton's person or whatever, but I truly miss his musicianship.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

can you feel them... patteraren's Avatar
    I lost my copy of the London 99 show. that boot is stellar and needs an official release!

The '99 Camden, NJ show has some amazing soundboard quality songs with the band. I love Blood Roses and Juarez from that show.
    | 7.19.98 Chicago | 9.11.99 Chicago | 10.23.01 Chicago | 11.27.02 Chicago | 8.10.03 & 8.11.03 Chicago | 4.15.05 Chicago | 8.31.05 Chicago | 11.5.07 & 11.6.07 Chicago | 8.3.09 Chicago | 12.10.11 Chicago | 8.5.14 Chicago | 10.27.17 Chicago |

Camden '99 is soundboard?!? I don't have that!!! I have a bootleg of that show it it's pretty poor.

Camden is not soundboard, but it has been recorded next to it so her voice sounds clearer
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Venus alternate tracklist

01 Bliss
    02 Suede
    03 Lust
    04 Concertina
    05 Juarez
    06 Glory of the '80s
    07 Zero Point
    08 Josephine
    09 Riot Poof
    10 Datura
    11 Spring Haze
    12 1000 Oceans

I really think this album is sorely missing Zero Point. From what I've heard Tori say, the song was taking too long to finish before the deadline so they abandoned it. I'm sure whatever unfinished track they were working from sounded better than this obvious Tales/AP rework... but I'm working on my own remix.

The only time it sounds good, is the whole climactic buildup before the piano coda. I don't know what she sings but it sounds like "I got a honey lemon iced tea, I want Vin Diesel's thing in me".... If that's not the lyric then I'm using it for myself
    Last edited by Octopussy; 04-18-2017 at 03:06 AM.

IIRC, she was also hesitant about putting two long songs on the album, and Datura was the one that was finished so she ended with that one there. I wonder if Zero appoint had been finished, if it had occupied the same place as Datura, after Riot Poof and before Spring Haze.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Whatever the reason, I hope they do give us another version of it at some point. Even a release of the live version, which was surprisingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post

The only time it sounds good, is the whole climactic buildup before the piano coda. I don't know what she sings but it sounds like "I got a honey lemon iced tea, I want Vin Diesel's thing in me".... If that's not the lyric then I'm using it for myself
    Oh I love that bit. I hear 'I got a honey honey lemon on me, I gotta ride it to the infantry.'

It is clearly the best part of the song, right? I love the squealy guitar part and all the crunching percussion sounds, it's like the moment an acip trip takes over your brain.

Lust is my favourite song on TVAB. Brilliantly and perfectly produced. Why can't Tori produce an entire album with songs produced to this quality!?!?!?
    Robbing the muse...

Lust was my favorite for the longest time, until I realized the brilliance of Suede. I'd say they are almost tied these days. I haven't really heard a Live version of Lust that matches the studio rendition.