Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Scarlet's Walk

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    This is actually making a lot of sense, thank you for taking the time to compile all this. You know, it's sort of strange how I know about all this stuff, having heard Scarlet Stories and the rest, but I never jumped to that conclusion. It feels a bit like a revelation.

I've put this subject on my list of things I'd like to ask Tori about at one of the shows I go to... that is if my brain doesn't happen to nullify or forget what I had in mind seconds before getting close to her.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    This is actually making a lot of sense, thank you for taking the time to compile all this. You know, it's sort of strange how I know about all this stuff, having heard Scarlet Stories and the rest, but I never jumped to that conclusion. It feels a bit like a revelation.

I've put this subject on my list of things I'd like to ask Tori about at one of the shows I go to... that is if my brain doesn't happen to nullify or forget what I had in mind seconds before getting close to her.
    It is adorable how Tori used characters for this album - - - although they are obviously all her. Just like the ADP dolls and the characters in NOH being her, her husband and her daughter (and the Fire Muse).

"She had arrived in the city of angels with a dream of being someone" = Ellen Amos doing Y Kant Tori Read.

I hope NI has a lot of layers and metaphor like Scarlet...
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    It is adorable how Tori used characters for this album - - - although they are obviously all her. Just like the ADP dolls and the characters in NOH being her, her husband and her daughter (and the Fire Muse).
    "Welcome to England" really stands out to me as the laziest of all song concealments, to put it that way. With Scarlet, though, I think there are actually a lot of external influences that formed the album's protagonist and their passing encounters. To me, the 2001 tour really echoes on this album. I honestly have a hard time distinctly saying that certain things about Scarlet or another character are based on Tori herself. Didn't she at one point say that in "Don't Make Me Come to Vegas," Scarlet goes searching for her niece that's eloped with this guy? Well, now that's making me think of connection to Tori's personal life, given how close she is with her niece.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Yeah, I love Indian Summer - I used to hate it, but there's something about the playing, it's a style I can't really compare to any of her other music - expansive with sustain, like maybe it comes closest to something like Beulah Land in a way. With Scarlet it's a shame that there are so many great tracks but it's perfect in its released form. The only thing I would maybe change on Indian Summer is the My. Bush line - not even because it dates the song, but more because I feel the request is too impossible, he ain't never gonna light the sage. I think she could have name checked someone else in there who was an ally more than an enemy and had the same effect.
    He might now, after all those portraits of dead soldiers he's painted. Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit (easy to do in the age of T***p) but it does seem like he's going for some sort of spiritual reckoning. Not what I would have expected.

I've had in my mind this idea of I Can't See New York/Indian Summer and the Bush thing and the 9/11.
    Then I had a different interpretation of the story if you change the track list. The problem is, in terms of sound, i don't think it actually works. And it would a mess on the map, but I don't really give a fuck about the map.
    So, the sequence in the story would be like this: ICSNY-Indian Summer-Mrs. Jesus-Pancake-Taxi Ride.
    Nope, it doesn't sound too well, but in general terms it would be eso thing like this:

As always, I'm not saying that Tori wrote it this way; something remarkable about SW is how focused the argument is, she isn't inventing something vague (I'm looking at you, TBK's gardens). But I like this exercise of re-writing the story adding all the other chapters that she wrote in that era.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Small comment, but was just listening to Scarlet's HT, and I had forgotten just how well produced some of those tracks were.

The subtle vocal effects and layering of sounds in Tombigbee are just divine.

Has anyone ever found a HQ version of Mountain? I have the best copy I've been able to find but it still isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    Has anyone ever found a HQ version of Mountain? I have the best copy I've been able to find but it still isn't that great.
    I don't think there is

I added 'Tombigbee' and 'Indian Summer' into my version of Scarlet's Walk. Basically I made it a two disc album with ten tracks on each disc, and so the two great closers both get a place - Indian Summer closes disc 1, Gold Dust closes disc 2 / the album as a whole. I didn't mess around too much with Tori's running order, except that Wampum Prayer opens my version and goes straight into A Sorta Fairytale. I just love that as an opening.

Quote Originally Posted by another light View Post
    I added 'Tombigbee' and 'Indian Summer' into my version of Scarlet's Walk. Basically I made it a two disc album with ten tracks on each disc, and so the two great closers both get a place - Indian Summer closes disc 1, Gold Dust closes disc 2 / the album as a whole. I didn't mess around too much with Tori's running order, except that Wampum Prayer opens my version and goes straight into A Sorta Fairytale. I just love that as an opening.
    Where did you place Amber waves?
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    There are characters throughout Scrlet because that's what happens when you travel, you meed people for a few days and then never see them again. I hadn't actually thought of Sangria as a real life woman though until now, so I really liked that!

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Where did you place Amber waves?
    Sorry just seen this. I placed it as track 3, right after A Sorta Fairytale. I like the idea of opening with a kind of 'mission statement' (Wampum Prayer), then a 'looking back' to a particularly significant point on the journey, then introducing Amber Waves. I dunno, it just works for me narratively.

This is the version of the album that I'm listening to at the moment:

^ Umm....where is Carbon?!

? And Another Girl`s Paradise and Strange??????? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
    Robbing the muse...