Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Scarlet's Walk

Thanks everyone, got it now.

^Yeah you should be able to get it from the Diagnosed Sounds section. That's where I got mine.

@Oliver I would have loved to see Tombigbee replace Don't Make Me Come to Vegas. Vegas is a nice song but I think people would have appreciated the album more if it had one extra "power" song besides Pancake.

Quote Originally Posted by SageBrushFire View Post
    @Oliver I would have loved to see Tombigbee replace Don't Make Me Come to Vegas. Vegas is a nice song but I think people would have appreciated the album more if it had one extra "power" song besides Pancake.
    I agree that people would probably appreciate the album more if it had another "power" song, but I think having Tombigbee replace Vegas puts it too close to Sweet Sangria, which has some bite for its ending, so you'd want to spread out the rock-ier songs a bit more across the album. Where SW could use an energy boost is around Taxi Ride or between Wednesday and Wampum Prayer.
    Last edited by JHV; 09-23-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    I agree that people would probably appreciate the album more if it had another "power" song, but I think having Tombigbee replace Vegas puts it too close to Sweet Sangria, which has some bite for its ending, so you'd want to spread out the rock-ier songs a bit more across the album. Where SW could use an energy boost is around Taxi Ride or between Wednesday and Wampum Prayer.
    Oh yeah I totally wasn't even thinking about track placement. I definitely wouldn't put it right before Sangria; Wampum Prayer makes a pretty good opener for Sangria anyway.

I would probably put it after Taxi Ride or possibly AGP. I know the first 6 songs are a little slow but I really always loved the way the album works up until Wampum Prayer.

I was just thinking about CD times; you'd definitely want to take out one track in order to put Tombigbee in and that track, for me, would be Vegas.

I always kinda wish it had replaced Vegas and Your Cloud. Both sound like lovely [Scarlet's] Hidden Treasures to me.

The only track I'd want to take off of Scarlet is Mrs. Jesus. Maybe Wednesday too, but I change my mind about whether that should be on the album or not a lot.

I'd add most of Scarlet's Hidden Treasures to the album before I'd add Tombigbee though, I find that song to be way overrated in its studio form, where the production sucks out most of the bite and snarl from it.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    While I can't stand Wampum at all and dislike some of the other songs to varying degrees, I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't add Tombigbee. I liked it at first, but it lost a lot of luster to me and I think that would detract from the album. I think it's the last moment of clarity she had in the '00s regarding which makes the album and which gets left off.

The only track I'd want to take off of Scarlet is Mrs. Jesus.
    I sometimes think this, too. But I love the song, so I'm not sure why.

the production sucks out most of the bite and snarl from it.
    Hmm, I never thought about the production of TomBigBee as a negative thing. Maybe I give it a pass because, to me, it has better production than the other songs. The muffled grumble of the music seems to fit the tone.
    Last edited by oliver; 09-24-2010 at 04:50 PM.

I like scarlet the way it is but I will admit that the narrative and the sounds do not always play perfectly together. If I was going to redesign the album purely from the perspective of an editor who wanted to single out the best sounds that would get the most sales, this is how I would do it:

01. Amber Waves
    02. A Sorta Fairytale
    03. Wednesday
    04. Strange
    05. Another Girl's Paradise
    06. Crazy
    07. Mrs. Jesus
    08. Taxi Ride
    09. I Can't See New York
    10. Wampum Prayer
    11. Pancake
    12. Your Cloud
    13. Carbon
    14. Sweet Sangria
    15. Scarlet's Walk
    16. Virgina
    17. Tombigbee
    18. Gold Dust

That's just off the top of my head. I'm trying to clump themes of love and America's past together while dispersing the softer melodies with the harsher melodies.

I wouldn't include Amber Waves..I hate that song as an opener.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I wouldn't include Amber Waves..I hate that song as an opener.
    I like the song but I was thinking the same thing; I wish I could think of a better opener. The only problem is that it didn't quite fit anywhere else ...

Maybe I could just nix Amber Waves and make ASF The opener - maybe put Ruby on in it's place (Though I don't know where on the album I'd put it).

I wouldn't mind "Amber Waves" as an opener if it had a piano intro at the beginning, as it does in the acoustic version. "Carbon" would make a very atmospheric opener, but it's so much darker than the rest of the album (apart from "I Can't See New York") that it would be a bit disconcerting. It needs to be later in the tracklisting so that it breaks up the mellowness a bit.

Yeah Carbon would be a little brooding for an opener. I actually think Fairytale is a pretty good opener with it's really strong drum sequence at the beginning.

Wednesday could be a nice opener if only for the somewhat corny but also somewhat explanatory final line: "Lost in a place called America." It totally describes the rest of the album anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_running View Post
    I wouldn't mind "Amber Waves" as an opener if it had a piano intro at the beginning, as it does in the acoustic version.
    Agreed. The live intro would make it a much more effective opener, starting with the vocal immediately is a bit jarring. When I rearranged the album to include the b-sides, I put Apollo's Frock as the opener and moved Taxi Ride to being the 2nd track so it provided the impetus for a journey and starting the "road-trip" concept like Amber Waves.

I like Amber Waves, for me it works well as the opener. I'd rather have Mountain on the album than Tombigbee.