Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Scarlet's Walk

Honestly, Amber Waves is one of my favorite openers. But then again she's always been really strong with that -- Pretty Good Year, Beauty Queen/Horses, Spark, Amber Waves, New Age... I think they all do a great job of setting the mood and tone of those albums. I have loved Amber Waves since it leaked before SW. I'm always amazed when people say they don't like it.

I love Amber Waves as a song, but don't like the abrupt opening to the album. My album playlist begins with Wampum Prayer, which is a perfect little 'mission statement' I think, a concise and pointed preface to the story. From there it goes into A Sorta Fairytale, which becomes a kind of looking back over the journey before she starts to tell the story. I really like that for some reason.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I've just come back from a holiday where I was doing a lot of long-distance driving and figured I'd listen to Scarlet's Walk to see how it holds up as a traveling/road trip album. Honestly, it's incredible how that album moves like you're on the road (car, bus, even on trains). I popped it on as I was leaving for a 4 hour drive to the airport on my last day and as she was singing about the rearview mirror in ASF I looked back and saw my last destination ... can't deny I shed a few tears.

I love Amber Waves FOR that abruptness. It’s like she’s already just begun her journey and maybe we missed the bit where she started, by just by a hair, or even as she’s closing the door on the life she knew and setting out: We catch her on the move, but still full of that newness and wanderlust.
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 03-02-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by another light View Post
    I love Amber Waves as a song, but don't like the abrupt opening to the album. My album playlist begins with Wampum Prayer, which is a perfect little 'mission statement' I think, a concise and pointed preface to the story. From there it goes into A Sorta Fairytale, which becomes a kind of looking back over the journey before she starts to tell the story. I really like that for some reason.
    Where do you place Amber Waves in your preferred sequence?

I do like that song, and on its own it is a great opener for Scarlet. I see your point about Wampum though. I feel similarly about The Beekeeper - it should open with Original Sinsuality (sans the terrible pun obvs). You're right; Wampum is a good sort of summation of her key political message of that record.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Where do you place Amber Waves in your preferred sequence?

I do like that song, and on its own it is a great opener for Scarlet. I see your point about Wampum though. I feel similarly about The Beekeeper - it should open with Original Sinsuality (sans the terrible pun obvs). You're right; Wampum is a good sort of summation of her key political message of that record.
    My Beekeeper opens with Toast and closes with Parasol after the title track. I’ve just always loved it this way.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

“You say ‘he’s got a healing machine’ ” is one of the most amazing musical transitions in a Tori song ever. It’s like a blast of wind in your face and I’ll never tire of hearing it. It’s like the Hotel bridge or Cornflake Girl piano solo for me.
    Last edited by Adam; 03-07-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I love amber waves but it never properly clicked for me until a few years ago, when I found this live version from the LA scarlet show, which is my preferred incarnation of it: