Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 1999

Thread: The Beekeeper

Listening to The Beekeeper tonight... I haven't listened to it in a looong time. I mean maybe 6 years. It's my least favorite Tori album ... seeing if tonight that changes at all for me lol. So far I love Paradol WAY more than I did before. On Sweet The Sting now ... I don't know. I love the choir background vocals... but something about this song-- maybe the production or instrumentation -- still makes me cringe. The bridge is gorgeous though. More updates soon lol

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    The tourbook was even more stunning! If the album artwork had been in the same style and quality of The Beekeeper tourbook, It wouldn't have near as much of a bad rep as it does now. It's seriously beautiful.
    Omg yes! I agree! That tour book was gorgeous. Any of those photos would have made a MUCH better cover

Ok so after listening to the entire album it's still my least favorite lol. The production is just awful most of the time.

My faves:
    Toast
    Garlands (this should have been on the album)
    Mary's of the Sea
    Original Sinsuality (I wish it were longer though)
    Parasol
    Ribbons Undone (yes, I like this song lol)

I think these should have been cut:
    Hoochie Woman (I hate this song so much)
    TPOOK (the lyrics are cringeworthy bad and Damien's vocals don't fit)
    Goodbye Pisces
    Ireland

I made interlude edits of several songs:

Ireland (1:04): intro+last chorus (this works really well. the most annoying thing of Ireland for me is the boring structure, but I love the backing vocals)

Hoochie Woman (1:01): shorted intro+last verse till end (still pretty bad)

Goodbye Pisces (1:25): last verse till end

Martha's foolish ginger (1:41): shorted intro + second last verse till end (I know many love this song, but to me it's just too long and the structure gets boring really fast; unfortunately the cut sounds pretty clunky. Also, I'm not really sure if the lyrics make sense without the rest)

Maybe there's a way to share these if anyone's interested?
    Last edited by Tashelorette; 08-12-2017 at 06:25 AM.

^ Please do not share any officially released material, even if it's edited versions. It's against the Forum's rules.

And editing Martha is sacrilege!!!!!
    /unapologetic beekeeper lover
    post28!

Martha's Foolish Ginger is one of the best tracks on this album! You can tell it had a genesis in a different era, I think.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    It's the only vocal on the whole album, and maybe the last song ever in her catalogue that has the clarity and pitch of her early work from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    It's the only vocal on the whole album, and maybe the last song ever in her catalogue that has the clarity and pitch of her early work from start to finish.
    It's a beautiful, pristine vocal. An anomaly on that album really, where the vocals were one of the biggest problems for me. The recording is so dry and close, it didn't do her vocals any favours at all for the most part. MFG is the exception.

The chorus is so beautiful in MFG... gave me chills when I first heard it!

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Seriously, it sounds like she channelled herself on Under the Pink - the only other tine I feel she did that with any kind of success post The Beekeeper was on Take Me With You and the end of Edge of the Moon. I'm not complaining, I know her voice has changed, but sometimes she just brings that clarity and intensity that she used to and it's like, if you can do this, then why... aren't you?

It is a puzzle. Her vocals on TMWY sound so much like 'old Tori', I was convinced they must actually be from the UTP period, like recorded back then. But apparently not. It does make me wonder how much of the way her voice sounds on record now is from choice rather than necessity, how much is down to the way its recorded or stylistic choice.There are lots of moments on UG where she sounds pretty much like her old self, for instance. That's one of the reasons I loved that album so much.

TMWY lives on my UTP playlist, and doesn't sound out of place at all.

I still can't imagine how Not David Bowie comes from this era. It's so not-TBK. It belong to Venus perhaps. But I can't find any Beekeeper resemblance at all.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Probably not a very popular opinion, but nowadays Not David Bowie gets on my nerves. The instrumentation and the "I cannot forget..." section really don't work for me. Give me Dolphin Song any day!

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I still can't imagine how Not David Bowie comes from this era. It's so not-TBK. It belong to Venus perhaps. But I can't find any Beekeeper resemblance at all.
    I know! It doesn't sound the same at all. I wonder if it wasn't really something she forgot she recorded during the Tales sessions or a leftover from Scarlet (or SHT, maybe circa Bug a Martini?) that she thought she might put on TBK. The production is just so completely different from even the angry songs (Barons...?) on that album. Then again, I don't think Dolphin Song sounds like it belongs on TBK either. It sounds more like it belongs there, but the production still feels different. Maybe they did something to either or both for AP. I don't know. (All of this is pure speculation and probably inaccurate.)

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    Probably not a very popular opinion, but nowadays Not David Bowie gets on my nerves. The instrumentation and the "I cannot forget..." section really don't work for me. Give me Dolphin Song any day!
    It gets on my nerves in theory, but every time I hear it, I think it's pretty good. But I also like Dolphin Song. (Dolphin Song, Doughnut Song, Chocolate Song--is this just her go-to when she can't think of a name?)