• Ireland
    • The Beekeeper
    • Martha's Foolish Ginger
    • Hoochie Woman
    • Goodbye Pisces
    • Marys of the Sea
    • Toast

Non-album:

The Beekeeper really explores the story from the Creative Mother's perspective because we know from the bible the Creative Father's perspective. And in this garden, we do not call this the garden of original sin, we call this the garden of Original Sinsuality. You will see when you open up the album itself of The Beekeeper, which songs live in which gardens and you can take a journey with them. They're their own Garden of Eden. They're their own shape. It's a sonic shape, so it's not a physical space. This is a place where male or female may enter, it's not just emotions of a woman. We all experience disappointment and we all experience transformation and we all experience passion. Even if it's not passion for another human being, but passion is an essence in itself.

_____

This is the album that made me a fan. Or, to be more precise, "The Power of Orange Knickers" made me a fan. I remember borrowing this album from the library and listening to it. It was nice until I heard Knickers, and then I had to hit the repeat button over and over again. While TBK is not one of my absolute favorites, it's still a decent album, and I still consider Knickers a great song.

It's quite an enjoyable album when I'm in the mood for it. That's what I love about Tori: she has an album for every mood, and she's not afraid to change up her sound from album to album.

And that bridge in Witness? Probably one of my favorite moments from any of her albums.

(I'm actually listening to this album right now. I'm on Ribbons Undone and I'm quite enjoying it. It's has a nice laid-back soothing sound. If this is the album that people consider her worst, she's pretty much the best singer-songwriter that ever lived.)
    Last edited by Scott; 06-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.

After falling in love with Scarlet's Walk, I absolutely loathed this album. I just could not fathom that this was the same woman. Of course I loved songs such as Parasol, The Beekeeper, etc. But Cars and Guitars, omg, I wanted to write a letter and scream at her. LOL. However, when ADP was released, for some reason I completely fell in love with this record. I have no idea what sparked the love (It was probably my aversion to ADP and craving of new material), but I honestly adore this album now and could not imagine my life without it. Yes, even Cars and Guitars.

This is another album that I don't really consider to be one of her best, but it's definitely aged well. When it was first released, I thought it was overly saccharine. The background vocals particularly irritated me. They still kind of do, actually...but the songs are all quite strong. Some of them have taken years to grow on me...like "Toast", for example. That song is so beautiful, and I used to always skip it because the "mister Bojangles" line annoyed me. hee hee!

"Sleeps With Butterflies" might have had something to do with my overall impression of TBK. It's a very pretty song when played solo at the piano, but it turned into an Adult Contemporary barf-fest with the production, and it was all over the radio and played a lot in coffeeshops and I hated that!

I think she did well with this album, in general.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    I always think I like this cause there are some songs that I keep humming to myself and then I play the record and promptly turn it off after 5 minutes. The production is atrociously saccharine. And it has Ireland, cha-cha-chas, sha-na-na-nas and Sleeps With Butterflies backing vocals. Come to think of it, all of the backing vocals are jarring.

I always loved this album a lot. Even though when it came out, after my Scarlet disappointment, I wasn't very excited for a new Tori release anymore and I didn't even buy i think at the time. And Sleeps with butterflies was really boring to me, so I didn't care much. But when I got to actually listen to the album (probably a few months after the release), I really loved it. Even the silly stuff like the cha cha chas I felt were warranted in a certain perspective. I remember I listened to the album a LOT back then and even now I gladly put it on. It's strong material in my opinion, just not as strong as some other stuff. At the time though, I liked it a lot more than Scarlet which, to me, was all one boring flavor (I've come to appreciate that one more over time though).

Quote Originally Posted by arsonist samael View Post
    all of the backing vocals are jarring.
    O hai Jamaica Inn and Sleeps with Butterflies, particularly.

The harmony vocals on Parasol and Orange Knickers aren't bad though.

still it's an absolute travesty that Garlands wasn't included on the album in place of some other less stellar material.

I am probably one of the few who would rank this album WAY above ADP and AATS.
    Yes, it's sickly-sweet at places, yes it's very mellow and yes there some godawful tracks on it (hoochie, pisces, ireland).
    However, I rather have a toned down Tori than Mrs Botox trying to be hip/young/sexy by using 80s rockguitars.

There's little to nothing wrong with songs like Parasol, Martha's Foolish Ginger, Mary's and Toast. Garlands is an amazing B side.
    Jamaica Inn, Witness, Orange Knickers, Barons, I understand why people would dislike them but I adore them.

I remember reading an interview where she said that TBK felt underproduced to her. I remember everybody laughing, cause we generally thunk it's way too polished. But I can see where she's coming from. If she'd experimented just a bit more here and there to add some layers or effects it wouldn't feel so bland at times.

So my honest to god opinion: this was her last worthwhile album.
    post28!

this album is the best example of the fact that you should never get your expectations too high. I've waited so long for this one, especially since it was released right after my beloved SCARLET. but OH BOY, what a disappointment. boring songs (most of them would not even pass as B-sides) and a lifeless production.

some might love this album. some might call it the beginning of the end. some might say that it was the birth of the infamous FORI. me? i believe in a better future, a future where bees will take care of the hive, and tori will take care of the music

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    What I seem to see is that people who liked it at first tend to not like it now and vice versa.

I loved it when it came out. Loved the leaks. Listened to it all the dang time. Loved the tour and all the boots. Loved the Original Boot thing and am so mad there doesn't seem to be any plans for 2009 versions.

And at some point I just got sick of it all. Other than the best covers, I am so sick of the whole era. That and the brief a capella version of Barons. I don't know if I just listened to all of it too much or if the newness wore off.

Everyone seemed to hate Pisces, but I found that to be one of the more powerful songs on the album. My ex is psychotic and it describes him so well. A little too well, actually, as I can't often listen to it as it's too triggering.

Beating the dead horse: Garlands should have been on it. And you know what? Not David Bowie didn't fit, but it is a great song and better than most on it.

I said this about ADP, but if she's going to make it a big deal about gardens, why not have the stupid songs grouped by garden on the album? It's like she randomly made up the garden thing and chucked some songs under each category,kinda like how she decided which random words to capitalize in the LE liner.

Hearing The Beekeeper live was one of the more powerful live moments I've experienced. Not a peep from the audience. everyone perfectly still, almost holding their breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    However, I rather have a toned down Tori than Mrs Botox trying to be hip/young/sexy by using 80s rockguitars.
    I hate to break it to you, but Tori had her plastic surgery between SW and TBK and 80s guitars are all over Beekeeper.

So? It wasn't as glaringly obvious as it is now. Her face was still 'normal'. And she didn't sound like the conceited brat she sounds like now. Wether she had the first surgery before TBK is kinda beside the point I was making.
    And 80's rockguitar all over TBK? Uhm... No. I hate to break it to you, but no.
    post28!

hmmm i guess we lived through different decades, because not only is the rock guitar on Beekeeper 80's, but it's also the worst Mark ever put to record. How does Tori Amos sound conceited on ADP or AATS?

Tell me where there are 80's rock guitars on TBK. Cause I'm really curious where you might hear those.
    Re, conceited: read up on some interviews from that era...
    But I guess we're not going to agree on this.
    post28!