Page 122 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1972

Thread: The Beekeeper

Oh my God, that was brilliant. I didn't know about it.

A puffin defecated on my head while [I was] bringing in the mail. Father Callaghan says it brings luck.
    Gretchen asked for 'Tombigbee.' We made love on the hard wood floor.
    I laughed so hard that I'm pretty sure I pulled something.
    Last edited by Alpha Neutral; 01-31-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Aleister, the grave digger, shouted over, "Frothy and accessible pop songs are not what Amos' constituency require. Look what happened to Joni Mitchell after 'Mingus.'"
    !

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Truly remarkable. One of the best things I've ever read.

plastic surgery monster rattlesnakes's Avatar
    Don't forget his A Piano review and ADP review.
    Last edited by rattlesnakes; 02-02-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnakes View Post
    Don't forget his A Piano review and ADP review.
    What a riot!

"She also conveyed a strange twilit vision. Near Padstow, she observed three women, whom she recognized as America's Nancy Pelosi, Hilary Clinton, and Amos herself, passing closely overhead on broomsticks. They were pursued by a magnificent winged figure brandishing a flaming sword; but in her stupor, Biddy was uncertain whether this was Anne Coulter or Margaret Thatcher. All four figures disappeared into the western sky. Most extraordinary"

His Unrepentant Geraldines review, unfortunately, is a whole load of tripe and isn't stylized or anything to make up for it. :-(

There are no recognizably 'instant Tori Amos classics' like 'Winter,' 'Cornflake Girl,' 'Yes, Anastasia' or 'Taxi Ride,' or tracks comparable to second-tier Amos favorites like 'Space Dog,' 'Muhammad My Friend,' 'Bliss' or 'Maybe California.'
    It is also surprising that Amos hasn't further explored the direction indicated by 'Give,' the riveting 'trance music' opening track of the underrated 'Abnormally Attracted to Sin,' especially since Lana Del Rey has had such incredible recent success throughout the West with a similar combination of minimalist lyrics and a retro-contemporary, Angelo Badalamenti-esque arrangement and production style.

At present, on the basis of her recording career if not her live performances, Del Rey appears to be heiress apparent to the alternative/art rock crown, just as Kate Bush figuratively passed the crown to Amos in the early 1990s.
    Last edited by Faust; 02-02-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Unworthy is the ruler whose subjects seek the solace of false gods.

Wasn't someone recently saying just the same thing about Lana Del Rey? Should I care about this person or nah?

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    SPACE DOG IS NO SECOND TIER TORI AMOS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    Wasn't someone recently saying just the same thing about Lana Del Rey? Should I care about this person or nah?
    Well, I mean, he's not exactly a prominent media personality, merely a music fan sharing his thoughts. I do admire his conviction at the very least - he gave Choirgirl two stars and a 5-star rating to AATS. And he's also quite funny, as evidenced by the aforementioned reviews.

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    This Amazon review of The Beekeeper was my favorite piece of creative writing of 2005 and I finally found it again.
    .... so genius.
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎

It's a step up from comparing Gaga to Tori and Kate, but to say Lana Del Rey is an "heiress" to that style is still a colossal stretch.

Unless you are trying to say that Lana skipped right over her own Pele/Dreaming/Choirgirl/Hounds era and went straight to the Beekeeper for her third album. That comparison has weight.

I think it's sort of an asinine comparison by and large, but more in the ways that you're comparing apples and oranges than "one's on the talent level X and the other's on level Y" - that'd be a whole other exhausting debate.

A good number of his later Tori reviews suggests that he thinks AATS is unfairly maligned and among her best post-Scarlet material which is totally ??? to me.
    Unworthy is the ruler whose subjects seek the solace of false gods.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I don't consider Lana an 'heiress' but there is something in the hyper-feminine vocal delivery and the almost uncomfortably emotional content in her music that probably wouldn't be popular now if it wasn't for what Tori brought in the 90's.
    Last edited by andy; 02-05-2016 at 06:24 PM.

I see. So I don't need to get up out of my rocking chair to go listen to Lana Del Rey.

I agree with the Cornish scholar about AATS. That album could be in the dictionary next to the definition for "hot mess," but there are moments where it feels like Tori picks up a thread that she dropped around Choirgirl, where she's just riffing on her own genius, enjoying her own inscrutable imagination. I can't believe I'm saying this (it being 2:30 AM helps) but you hear it in "Police Me," of all songs. That wild joy was in the first four records, but it disappeared around Venus and somehow her work began to have less raw delight in it. Maybe she just started working things over too much.