Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 1972

Thread: The Beekeeper

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    Jamaica Inn is too saccharine for me.

^ donchu know that the SEXIEST THING IS TRUST toriMODE? I mean really...

I don't mind the music/sound of Jamaica. But some of the lyrics are ridiculous to me.

I would love to see the "USS Sexytrust" image if anyone has it? lol. I am sure it is somewhere earlier in this thread. I think Kari drew it?
    Robbing the muse...

Jamaica Inn is like Enya trying to make a sexual pop hit. It's simply embarrassing.

I'm a big fan of solemn funereal dirges, so Beekeeper '05 is cool with me. But it is not an easy listen for sure, and I can even understand people who went to multiple shows being like "oh god this again." The 2005 tour had a really unique sound, with the hammond B3 and HEAVY vocal effects... but it only works for me in a certain mood. All of those live bootlegs are deadly boring, unless I'm in that state of mind for slowed-down fairytale songs and creepy church organ death music.

It works pretty well with the band
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Jamaica Inn is too saccharine for me.
    I agree, especially that chorus. I find it listenable but not really enjoyable.

I don't find anything wrong with the "sexiest thing is trust" line. To me, it express a simple a deep concept, that the thing that excites her the most is knowing she can put her trust in her lover. That sex can be much better and hotter when you can entrust your heart to someone, as opposite to the common place that you can only desire who is not completely yours. Maybe she could have used a more sharp word instead of "sexiest", but still it's a beautiful sentence.

Lately, I've grown to love the long, funereal version from 2005. In the context of the whole bootlegs it sounded excruciating, but listened to alone it shines.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

I notice that people love and hate very different songs from this album. It's a real box of assorted chocolates.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I don't find anything wrong with the "sexiest thing is trust" line. To me, it express a simple a deep concept, that the thing that excites her the most is knowing she can put her trust in her lover. That sex can be much better and hotter when you can entrust your heart to someone, as opposite to the common place that you can only desire who is not completely yours. Maybe she could have used a more sharp word instead of "sexiest", but still it's a beautiful sentence.

Lately, I've grown to love the long, funereal version from 2005. In the context of the whole bootlegs it sounded excruciating, but listened to alone it shines.
    Oh are you coming around?? I love the hammond versions because the intro reminds me of bagpipes.

Jamaica Inn is the kind of song I would probably forget about if it wasn't Tori Amos. But after all the live versions over the years, and hearing her talk about it.... I think I get what she was trying to achieve, and the idea is more interesting than what ended up on the album. It's kind of like Parasol - except instead escaping into a painting, she sees her life reflected in Daphne du Maurier's story. (I have never read Jamaica Inn myself but I know the general plot.) I think of it as a sister to Your Cloud as well - trying to capture an "eye of the storm" kind of temporary tranquility, with uneasiness under the surface. The live versions achieve this much better, and the 2005 live vocal has that tone of resignation, which actually fits in this case.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 03-01-2017 at 10:03 AM.

FYI PJ Harvey did a song about du Maurier's Rebecca. It is... um... way, way better than Jamaica Inn. I mean these books are full of ghosts and visitations and paranoia, so it's fitting for this to be so creepy:

i need size ten thousand for my ass snowgayngel's Avatar
    My picks from the album would be

Parasol
    Jamaica Inn
    Sleeps With Butterflies
    General Joy
    Mother Revolution
    Witness
    The Beekeeper
    Martha's Foolish Ginger
    Goodbye Pisces
    Marys of the Sea
    Toast
    Garlands

I've always liked Witness! I know it's not that good but I've never let that stop me before
    "i think lady gaga is immensely entertaining"

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Witness for me has some of the strongest lyrics on the album, it's just a little forced other than that. I think the vocal is what makes it a tough listen more than anything else - it falls into the same category as Barons for me.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Jamaica Inn is like Enya trying to make a sexual pop hit. It's simply embarrassing.
    To be fair to Enya, not even she would start a song with that most simpering of lines "Can you patch my jeans Peggy Ann?"

The quiet desperation in Jamaica Inn really gets to me.
    "I wake up to find the pirates have come" breaks my heart. The pillaging, the cliffs of rock, the younger woman - there's so much sadness buried in the song.

I absolutely adore Jamaica Inn. I don't care if the lyrics are not exactly Pele/Scarlet-level. The emotion is so there. And I think the production just adds up to the whole sadness wrapped in ribbons concept of the album. I also love how it transports me to a beach, and I can picture Tori sitting in a chair on a terrace (in a pretty flowy dress!) and singing this while the palm trees sway in the wind. I don't think I'd change a thing in the song.

The above also applies to Martha's Foolish Ginger and Goodbye Pisces.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.