Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beekeeper

I know I said this on @, I'm sure of it, but I didn't like Jamaica Inn until I heard one of the Original Bootlegs versions of it, I think from one of the British shows? It's her solo on organ and piano, but the organ parts are gorgeous/creepy in the way that I thought the whole album was going to sound like. You know. Light filtering through broken stained glass windows, illuminating a dusty, abandoned church. THAT kind of organ. Not lite-funk.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

There's a really good 10 track album in there somewhere. However, my 10 track beekeeper includes Cars & Guitars and Ireland, so my opinion isn't really going to be relevant to some of you!

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    There's a really good 10 track album in there somewhere. However, my 10 track beekeeper includes Cars & Guitars and Ireland, so my opinion isn't really going to be relevant to some of you!
    I quite like Cars and Guitars! And Ireland isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    I know I said this on @, I'm sure of it, but I didn't like Jamaica Inn until I heard one of the Original Bootlegs versions of it, I think from one of the British shows? It's her solo on organ and piano, but the organ parts are gorgeous/creepy in the way that I thought the whole album was going to sound like. You know. Light filtering through broken stained glass windows, illuminating a dusty, abandoned church. THAT kind of organ. Not lite-funk.
    See, I always found the organ parts on Jamaica Inn to be too high to be enjoyable, it irritated my ears. Jamaica Inn was one of the songs that got the worst of the 2005 "drawn-out nasal vocals over organ drone" treatment that made so many songs hard to listen to. I just re-listened to the London Original Bootleg after reading your post, and the piano-only parts are nice, but anytime she touches the organ I cringe.

I will admit I'm biased though, I'd rather Tori never touch the organ again.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emptytuileries View Post
    And Ireland isn't too bad.
    It was a lot better live. In fact, I'm gonna say it was actually pretty great live. Major improvement.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
    I don't want the Hammond B-3 or the Whirly to ever be near a Tori Amos studio (or stage) again.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    the organ parts are gorgeous/creepy in the way that I thought the whole album was going to sound like. You know. Light filtering through broken stained glass windows, illuminating a dusty, abandoned church. THAT kind of organ. Not lite-funk.
    Yes - I heard organ and I thought, "Nico! Marble Index! Potentially amazing!" There's nothing creepy (in that way) at all about TBK. Not a bad thing necessarily but I would also love to hear Tori explore organ and harmonium on record in a more, I don't know, intense way maybe.

I really enjoyed "The Beekeeper" on the organ during the '05 tour.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I'd rather Tori never touch the organ again.

You mean Mark's? Me too.

Seriously, I love the Hammond. She really didn't utilize it on the record the way I wished she would, but some of songs on tour really had new life (a loooooong life) because of it. I kinda dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I don't want the Hammond B-3 or the Whirly to ever be near a Tori Amos studio (or stage) again.
    TBH, she did some pretty great things with these.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    i too prefer this album over ADP and AATS, i just think the songs are stronger in general. i made an edit that i always go back to:

1. Original Sinsuality
    2. Witness
    3. Not David Bowie
    4. Barons of Suburbia
    5. Parasol
    6. Marys of the Sea
    7. Martha's Foolish Ginger
    8. Sweet the Sting
    9. Mother Revolution
    10. Jamaica Inn
    11. The Beekeeper
    12. Toast

See, I always found the organ parts on Jamaica Inn to be too high to be enjoyable, it irritated my ears. Jamaica Inn was one of the songs that got the worst of the 2005 "drawn-out nasal vocals over organ drone" treatment that made so many songs hard to listen to. I just re-listened to the London Original Bootleg after reading your post, and the piano-only parts are nice, but anytime she touches the organ I cringe.

I'll give you that she draws it out WAY too much, but I like the way the organ sounds on this particular song, in this particular performance. I definitely agree with you that a lot of the live 2005 performances that made use of the organ were a bit on the...well..."drone-y" side. (There's a solo Jamaica Inn on piano she did for...something, I don't remember, it's like studio quality, though...and it's really great, as well).

Another song that I enjoy much more solo is Mother Revolution. The solo Mother Revolution from the Polish radio show is the BEST.

Some of the live things she's done with the Hammond are pretty great, even though I think its usage on the record was pretty abysmal.

In all fairness on the subject of the Wurlitzer, she hasn't used it in the studio extensively since Scarlet's Walk, and even though she used it on Dark Side, you can barely hear it. Live, I'm not sure she uses it for much of anything besides Strange and Pancake anymore. The Wurly's my favorite instrument, so I can't say I wouldn't wet myself if she pulled it out again for another record.

The live organ use on Angels, Past the Mission...those are good. I liked Pancake on the organ, too, actually. I think from Boston? I didn't, however, like The Beekeeper live with the organ. It was just too long and drawn out for me. That was "go and get a beer for the encore" time.

EDIT: Spark with the organ was nice, too!

I'll give you that she draws it out WAY too much, but I like the way the organ sounds on this particular song, in this particular performance. I definitely agree with you that a lot of the live 2005 performances that made use of the organ were a bit on the...well..."drone-y" side. (There's a solo Jamaica Inn on piano she did for...something, I don't remember, it's like studio quality, though...and it's really great, as well).

Another song that I enjoy much more solo is Mother Revolution. The solo Mother Revolution from the Polish radio show is the BEST.
    The solo piano Jamaica Inn was for Sirius Radio, that is a pretty good performance. It was also done solo on piano in Australia last tour, but the bootleg isn't the greatest quality.

Mother Revolution is MUCH better live. My favorite is the version on the Chicago Original Bootleg, but that Polish Radio version is great too.