Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beekeeper

This Beekeeper edition is amazing actually
    I think if she released the album like that , it would have been much more loved

Quote Originally Posted by flaxenhair View Post
    Well, isn't it perhaps loosely related to what she says about Marys of the Sea? Because, I get that the boat's name is Martha's Foolish Ginger; I get that the woman's name, Martha, points us toward a Biblical reference along with the colour ginger. So, I think this song sometimes has more than one layer to it - it's partly about Tori and her past relationships with certain people (be they old lovers or not), while she does say somewhere that Mary Magdalene, accompanied by two other women, I believe, arrived in the South of France by boat?! Hence leading to the legend of Le Saint Marie de la Mer? There are references to this legend along the northern Spanish coastline too, Santa Maria del Mar.

I'm not sure if she mentioned that on the DVD or in Piece by Piece?!
    I definitely agree that the song probably has multiple layers of meaning to it, I just can't see how the content in MFG aside from the boat's name being a reference relates back to the content of Marys of the Sea. Perhaps there's a bit of the Jesus/Mary Magdalene relationship within the song, like in Past The Mission? It doesn't fit with some of the lyrics though (the watermelon bit, "then I played this song") although Past The Mission and Marys of the Sea are definitely about Jesus/Mary M and there are bits of those songs that don't line up historically. I feel like if the songs were all so related that Tori would've paired them together a lot though.

It is true that there's a legend of Mary Magdalene fleeing to the south of France along with Lazarus, Martha, and "the earthen vessel that held the blood of Christ". I'm sure Tori's talked about it a few places, but it's definitely a real legend.

I had a "Tori's the boat" moment in the Random Tori Chatter thread a long ago. Anyway, if Tori were the boat, then I think that the song is not written in her perspective. The "I" refers to someone else and I think that it could be a family member, friend or even fan having a connection with her music. If she's the boat, then whatever the boat carries could be her own songs. Or something. This is probably actually really, really, REALLY far off, but hey, what are interpretations for? Here it goes:

Take a walk down memory lane with me
    Past a watermelon stand on the way
    Thinking I had everything we'd need
    on Martha's Foolish Ginger

Here we have our general exposition. Someone and her old flame, who have met and are taking a stroll remembering. If Tori's the boat, then the girl in the song thought that everything they would need would be within Tori's songs. All her doubts, all the difficult moments could be resolved by listening to this song or this other song.

You were late
    How could I forget what you said-
    the part about that
    "Love taking over your life"
    was not your plan

And classic "you said something that was probably said in jest but I still lose sleep over it" line.

If those harbour lights had just been a half a mile inland
    who knows what I would have done

Ah, the suicide chorus. I'll get to this later.

Through the cliffs
    out of the Bay I went
    From the starboard side
    I could black my visions and my passions-
    They keep me awake

OK, back to the Tori's the boat and the I in the song talks about Tori's songs. From this interpretation you could argue that it refers to going from listening to the songs that make you anxious. The ones that trigger the emotions and pull at your heartstrings... they keep you awake. So after those moments of purging you need to cool off and block these thoughts and emotions, so you start listening to something else.

So, I think this lines refer to when someone is listening to music and are very close to having a breakdown. More on that in the next one.

A familiar voice
    "Hi. Surprise.
    I've been searching trying to find you"
    I couldn't speak
    my hands reached for Martha's Foolish Ginger
    We talked until the moon came up
    About how life without love
    isn't worth very much
    Then I played this song

Back to stuff he said and our speaker has to interpret. So after a heartrending conversation with an old flame she goes to her music player and tries to cool off. Or tries to trigger memories... or she's attemping something.

what I would have done
    what I would have done

Ok, like I said, here someone is listening to Tori's music and are very close to having a breakdown. But what could it be? We see the speaker has been talking and reencountering her old flame... so "what I would have done" could refer to just leaving everything and going with him.

"Memories that we have yet" you said
    "To make like our Burning Bed..."
    Love, don't mistake that it wasn't safe
    on Martha's Foolish Ginger.

The closing lines. He says something along the lines of "we have stuff in the past we need to clean up" Burning Bed. Passion that's still burning. And she answers telling him that their relationship was nothing she couldn't handle with her music.

As far as the edit goes... I think I'd miss Sleeps With Butterflies. Am I the only one who likes (and, sometimes, loves) that song? Even the video is good, IMO.

It's not the best off TBK, but it has its place and it's pretty necessary for the record for me. There's something really sincere about it that I like.

The only song I could do without is Goodbye Pisces. And that's not even to say that it's not a good song, I just find myself skipping it... well, that and Ribbons Undone (which is a song that I may not particularly like, but I can certainly appreciate its sentiment)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    I definitely agree that the song probably has multiple layers of meaning to it, I just can't see how the content in MFG aside from the boat's name being a reference relates back to the content of Marys of the Sea.
    I am not too 100% about this theory either, but I'd say the link has more to do with common themes and symbolism than actual historical fact and/or lore. I might have mentioned this a couple of pages ago: I think so much of this album hinges upon allegory, theme and symbol. And here, along with Jamaica Inn and Marys, we have women aboard ships or boats, out at sea.

Jamaica Inn's main theme is that of betrayal. But one of the corner stones of Tori's work has always been the betrayal of the figure of Mary Magdalene and everything else that goes along with that. So, I think these three songs on the album - to a greater (Jamaica) or lesser extent (Marys and Martha; in that order) - share the theme of betrayal, and the symbolism of the open sea with a woman on a boat. Her ship is being brought in from a stormy sea. She flees by sea. She sails out on calm waters and reflects upon her past.

The narratives don't link across the songs to form a time and plot line, but I find it interesting how the woman on the boat in Martha feels let down by a figure from her past whom she had an appointment to go 'sailing' (= "trip down memory lane with me"):
    "you were late, how could I forgot
    what you said, the part about that
    [...]
    if those harbour lights had just been
    [...]"

And how she is startled by an unexpected visitor on the boat, "a familiar voice, 'Hi! Surprise [...]". Yet, a sense of feeling safe and secure is also compromised, even if it's due to feeling vulnerable in someone's presence.

In Jamaica, the woman and the captain of the ship realise that they've just sailed themselves into a sticky situation, one which they thought was bringing them to safety. And she finds herself waking to the threat of the pirates as opposed to the sanctuary of the Jamaica Inn's chapel where she could worship.

In Marys, we have a woman fleeing for her and her unborn child's life, looking for safety, while the narrator of the song hears a voice which offers the wise words, "the Red of the Red Rose is its own...".

That's how I've always seen links between these three songs.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    As far as the edit goes... I think I'd miss Sleeps With Butterflies. Am I the only one who likes (and, sometimes, loves) that song? Even the video is good, IMO.
    I think Sleeps With Butterflies is the best song on TBK. And I think it's the song that has the most genuine feeling; I feel that Tori is REALLY FEELING what she sings. Probably that happens too with Ribbons Undone, but I have to go to the bathroom everytime I listen that song.
    I used to hate the video til I watched it on Fade To Red. As Tori is completely unknown in Argentina, the video wasn't played here, so all I had was the video on YouTube. The DVD quality made me notice how beautiful it is. There are two things I don't like about the video. First, the scene with two Toris, one of them is upside down. And the final legend, the one that says that it was inspired in the works of I-don't-who. That was totally unnecesary.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    I like Sleeps With Butterflies as well, but the album version is ruined by the production, which emphasizes the "elevator music" aspects of the instrumentation and drowns the song in cloying backing vocals. At its core I think it can be a pretty lovely little song but that only comes through in the solo performances.

I think the SWB video has some nice visuals, although some of the wardrobe choices are baffling. It just doesn't fit with the song though, and SWB is one of the few Tori songs that I think could've translated nicely to a straightforward more narrative-based type of video.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    And the final legend, the one that says that it was inspired in the works of I-don't-who. That was totally unnecesary.
    I think it was a really nice idea to put the name of the artist who inspired the video at the end. Think about how many more people probably checked her out because of the video, even if it wasn't a big hit. It's good to give artists more exposure, especially if you're lifting some things from their work.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Wow. Your break down of MFG really has me thinking.
    I love when she starts singing about the harbour lights. I don't think I'll ever understand what she means, but it is very pretty as a line. There is this light I drive by at night that is away in the distance. MFG was playing one night when I drove by it. So it reminds me of that song each time I see it.

I love Jamaica Inn. Can you patch my jeans Peggy Ann ? There is an old movie that I think inspired this song.

It was a book first (Daphne du Maurier) and then a movie (Alfred Hitchcock ) - both titled Jamaica Inn. I read the book years and years ago, but have yet to make it through the movie.

I'm pretty sure the real Jamaica Inn still exists in Cornwall, though I'm not sure where I picked that up.

Did you ever go clear? Alejandro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    I'm pretty sure the real Jamaica Inn still exists in Cornwall, though I'm not sure where I picked that up.
    It definitely does exist. I was in Cornwall last month and saw a sign for it.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Jamaica Inn hotel and museum
    http://www.jamaicainn.co.uk/

I think it's about an hour away from where Tori lives

I was listening to Ireland the other day, I'd always just thought it was a "tori taking a roadtrip to ireland" song, but I listened to it from a point of view of someone who was part of the horror of the Magdalane Laundrys, and she was going back to Ireland for this first time, with mixed emotions...

He said your red (Unpure, Bled)
    And made of clay
    A virgin portrait (Staues of Mary)

I fell out with a dragon
    Of the white collar kind (The Head Priest?)

To one spoiled nun....Proceded to arrange your soul
    While I prayed

I don't know if that was Tori's point of the song all along, and I'm only just catching on, or if I'm completly misunterpreting it, but It makes me like the song, and gives it much more meaning.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Please don't torture the women who were detained in the Magdalene Laundries further by associating that song with them.

So, I was listening to Parasol the other day, and something struck me about the lyrics. All this time I've imagined that song being about a damaged relationship with a person (and part of it may be), but something about the lyrics makes me think that it's (surprise!) about Tori's relationship with her record label. The final lyrics seem to indicate someone else's ownership of her, and I imagine it had something to do with Epic's merger with BMG.

If I'm the seated woman with the parasol, I will be safe in my frame
    In your house, in your frame
    Via wikipedia:
    After the release of her Epic label debut Scarlet's Walk, Amos received unsettling news when Polly Anthony resigned as president of Epic Records in 2003. Anthony had been one of the primary reasons Amos signed with the label and as a result of her resignation, Amos formed the Bridge Entertainment Group, a company devoted to helping musicians in various ways during a time when the music industry is changing.[14] The following year saw the merger of major labels Epic/Sony Music Entertainment and BMG Entertainment.[15] Amos would later hint in interviews that those in charge at the label (implying the Epic/Sony merger with BMG) during the creation of The Beekeeper were interested "only in making money", the effects of which have not been disclosed.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I always thought Parasol was about finding out about her brother. "I haven't moved since the call came." If she were safe in her frame like the seated woman with the parasol, that wouldn't have happened.