Page 32 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beekeeper

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ See, I have a fondness for "Bouncing Off Clouds" and "Programmable Soda" (it's just a throwaway cute Tori moment that could have been a 'silly song' pele-era b-side in some ways. I just intentionally forget it's on an album ), but I can't stomach "500 Miles" or "Sleeps With Butterflies".

Whatever happened to Alex? Right about now he would jump in and defend all things Beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    ^ See, I have a fondness for "Bouncing Off Clouds" and "Programmable Soda" (it's just a throwaway cute Tori moment that could have been a 'silly song' pele-era b-side in some ways. I just intentionally forget it's on an album ), but I can't stomach "500 Miles" or "Sleeps With Butterflies".
    I love Bouncing and can deal with P-Soda. "Sleeps With Butterflies" used to be my most hated Tori song for a very long time. Then I heard Not Dying Today and changed my mind.

500 Miles is uber frustrating for me. I hate hate hate hated it for a while but the solo version was okay and it helped me revisit the album version. Pro - her voice sounds great (that last set of high notes is awesome). Con - It sounds like the soundtrack from the Disney Main Street parade. Pro - the bridge is quite lovely. Con - Mac Aladdin is all over it. The song is about banging him on the tour bus and his horrible guitar is all over it. Pro - some of the lyrics are nice (bridge again). Con - some of the lyrics are TOTAL SHIT. Steaming piles.

I don't like it well enough for it to be a "guilty pleasure", but it's nowhere near as odious as SWB/NDT.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkhotel View Post
    If this is true, and this is what she feels...I will be very very dissapointed.
    I know in your 40s, maybe you don't want to be raging like a 20 year old, but anger can still be expressed, and music can still be powerful, and it can still be relevant.

I'm trying to think of some other artists, who are women in their 40s or older who are still making powerful music that holds anger....can anyone think of any good ones?...I'm having a brain fart...

I think what you wrote really hit me, because I fear it is true too.
    The words I have in quotes are definitely paraphrased from an actual Tori quote on the subject. I wish I could source it right now, but I'd have to do some digging.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    The last 40 seconds of 500 Miles is one of the best moments on the record... unfortunately you have to go through the first 3 and a half minutes to get to it. It's like the inverse of Starling.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    The words I have in quotes are definitely paraphrased from an actual Tori quote on the subject. I wish I could source it right now, but I'd have to do some digging.
    ^I remember her saying things like that during the TBK era. There's also her quote about not wanting to be a scary rock mother (which she's over now, judging by other comments from around ADP), and her comments about reaching a different more conservative audience getting people to hum along to the chorus so that they are then open to the message in the lyrics.

I think Tori was deliberately softening her music and style for this period for a variety of reasons. Some of it was because she was getting older, some of it was because she wanted to appeal to the wider Adult-contemporary audience she got after ASF, and I think she also softened a bit so she could write about sensitive political/religious topics without attracting negative attention. Tori's talked a few times about the Clear Channel censoring of certain songs after 9/11 and the anti-Dixie Chicks protests, so I think she may have been afraid of being censored or just not getting as much radio play if she went more political or made the record more about the Gnostic Gospel/Mary Magdalene stuff. Thus we get safe, boring production and singles that didn't relate to any of what she talked about in interviews.
    Last edited by JHV; 09-23-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I love Bouncing and can deal with P-Soda. "Sleeps With Butterflies" used to be my most hated Tori song for a very long time. Then I heard Not Dying Today and changed my mind.

500 Miles is uber frustrating for me. I hate hate hate hated it for a while but the solo version was okay and it helped me revisit the album version. Pro - her voice sounds great (that last set of high notes is awesome). Con - It sounds like the soundtrack from the Disney Main Street parade. Pro - the bridge is quite lovely. Con - Mac Aladdin is all over it. The song is about banging him on the tour bus and his horrible guitar is all over it. Pro - some of the lyrics are nice (bridge again). Con - some of the lyrics are TOTAL SHIT. Steaming piles.

I don't like it well enough for it to be a "guilty pleasure", but it's nowhere near as odious as SWB/NDT.
    There's something else we agree on. Not Dying Today is doubly depressing; for one, it sucks ass and for two, the title implies the exact opposite of what you're hoping and wishing for while you listen to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    Tori's talked a few times about the Clear Channel censoring of certain songs after 9/11 and the anti-Dixie Chicks protests, so I think she may have been afraid of being censored or just not getting as much radio play if she went more political or made the record more about the Gnostic Gospel/Mary Magdalene stuff. Thus we get safe, boring production and singles that didn't relate to any of what she talked about in interviews.
    I think you could be right about some of this too, actually.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHV View Post
    ^I remember her saying things like that during the TBK era. There's also her quote about not wanting to be a scary rock mother (which she's over now, judging by other comments from around ADP),
    Yeah, noticed that as well. She seemed very conscious of the fact that Tash was old enough to understand that her mother was an artist that would step out on stage and have a public persona.

I suspect ADP tour was very liberating for her if one keeps those comments in mind. She might have felt that she was ready to break free from having been more subdued on The Beekeeper. The album does have its darker undertones though, I think. And I also quite like that it has moments where there a lot is brimming beneath the surface of the beautiful melodies and glossier production.
    Last edited by flaxenhair; 09-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flaxenhair View Post
    She seemed very conscious of the fact that Tash was old enough to understand that her mother was an artist that would step out on stage and have a public persona.

I never understood this. Did Tori want to play The Beekeeper to Tash at night to help her fall asleep? I’m questioning Tash’s awareness of Tori’s musical persona at that age. Couldn’t that be easily shielded from a child?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I’m questioning Tash’s awareness of Tori’s musical persona at that age. Couldn’t that be easily shielded from a child?
    Yes, I see what you're saying. Hmmm... if I'm honest with you, I can't really say to which extent a two- to three-year-old child would take something like their mum performing on stage or releasing albums very "literally", if you get what I'm saying? Like, I don't know to which extent Tash would have thought, at that age, "Oh. This is what my mummy is like because it's the same person putting out the albums", or to which extent it was, "My mummy is this woman that has this job, where she is a little different and puts out these albums."

I suppose it's going to depend on their family life and how much exposure Tash got on tour too. So, I really don't know, but it's a good question nonetheless.

Banned
    ^^ Oh, oliver. One more thing - I remember Tori saying around ADP era (not 100% sure about that...) that Tash and her friends stumbled upon the "breast-feeding piglet" shot from Pele on the internet. Or, they were messing around and were googling Tori. And she said that she felt she had some "explaining" to do, because Tash's friends were like, "Oh, your mum was sssuucchhhhh a bad girl!"

O.k., so that's when Tash was older. But I'm mentioning this because I think these might well be things that Tori kept in mind from the beginning of Tash's life, you know?

Of course, I'm completely guessing here...

^ In that case, the damage was already done. Professional Widow is gonna moo and starfuck for eternity. I'm not sure Tori can surpass the Pele era in terms of vulgerness. Maybe she was attempting to quell her vulgar side a bit so she could say later, “but look here, Tash, you calmed me down.”

When Beekeeper came out and I read those quotes about calming down for Tash’s sake, I always imagined Tori imagining Tash roaming the backstage area alone, stumbling around on wires and passed-out, road-crew men and just crying hysterically because her mom was onstage scream-singing about chickens and meat.
    Last edited by oliver; 09-24-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    When Beekeeper came out and I read those quotes about calming down for Tash’s sake, I always imagined Tori imagining Tash roaming the backstage area alone, stumbling around on wires and passed-out, road-crew men and just crying hysterically because her mom was onstage scream-singing about chickens and meat.
    Heeheehee. Well, oliver. There we go!

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar

I love this photo.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo