Page 137 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2102

Thread: American Doll Posse

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Beauty of Speed solo is one of my favorite Tori songs, which I'm pretty sure I've said on here at least a hundred times. It's just so gorgeous.

I think Teenage Hustling is a good character "doll" song on this album.
    I love the "maybe the riddle of this accident" part.

Does anyone know what this song is about? Tori's piano bar days in Washington as a teen? Or just Tori making up Pip lyrics?
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Beauty of Speed solo is one of my favorite Tori songs, which I'm pretty sure I've said on here at least a hundred times. It's just so gorgeous.

Me too, its definitely the standout on ADP. It almost sounds as if its from different era..a different soundworld.

ANY version of Beauty of Speed is in my all time top 10. It reminds so much of a Little Earthquakes era song, like Girl or Upside Down, but with more shiny pop flair. I don't mind the album version, even if the mix is kind of muffled/muddy. The drums have a Hounds of Love-esque rhythm which is what I miss in the solo version.

Beauty of Speed 2009 with better vocals. Wish so badly it existed.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Having a roosterspur bridge moment - obviously only versions minus guitar, e.g. AOL sessions, but I have always really liked this song.

Quote Originally Posted by ophe View Post
    Having a roosterspur bridge moment - obviously only versions minus guitar, e.g. AOL sessions, but I have always really liked this song.
    She did a wonderful solo version of 'Roosterpur Bridge' at the 'Backstage At Bonnaroo' session. You should check that one out! It'll make you wonder why she uses the band so much, because so many songs from 'American Doll Posse' (and also 'Abnormally Attracted To Sin') sound way better solo. And speaking of 'Roosterpur Bridge': it holds a special place in my heart since she played it the very first time I saw her live. And it happened to be the first time she ever played it, so it was a really nice debut.

ADP has some amazing songs. With proper production it could have been another killer album by her. Beauty of speed, almost rosey, roosterspur bridge, those songs solo piano are among the most beautiful i've ever heard.

I've just tried to listen beauty of speed studio but I could not end the beginning. When the guitar enters the song is destroyed.
    Last edited by datura1452; 05-29-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeping Tommi View Post
    She did a wonderful solo version of 'Roosterpur Bridge' at the 'Backstage At Bonnaroo' session. You should check that one out! It'll make you wonder why she uses the band so much, because so many songs from 'American Doll Posse' (and also 'Abnormally Attracted To Sin') sound way better solo. And speaking of 'Roosterpur Bridge': it holds a special place in my heart since she played it the very first time I saw her live. And it happened to be the first time she ever played it, so it was a really nice debut.
    Roosterspur Bridge reminds me of my partner. It's not a perfect song by any stretch but it's special to me too. I'm partial to the performances from Live on Sunset in Australia 2007 and one she did in 2015, respectively.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

I really, really, really dislike this album. I can't get into it at all anymore. It seems so forced, fake and superficial.

She swirls and she swirls Raspberry.Swirl's Avatar
    This album is so strange for me...she clearly wanted it to be something it's not. I still listen to it though because I love Tori and I find myself gravitating towards Beauty of Speed, Dark Side of The Sun and Dragon. It has to be my least favorite album cover ever from T. I had to change the cover to another image in my iTunes library because it bugs me to even look at..I did like some of the character shots much more.
    Last edited by Raspberry.Swirl; 08-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.

It sounds unfinished to me. I feel like they must have abandoned some of these recordings, because I don't know else how to explain the vocal on Code Red, the unmastered bootleg sound of Bouncing Off Clouds, or the drum intro to Secret Spell which is the ugliest sound ever made. If it had been produced like AATS, or even Cloud Riders, it would probably be everyone's unanimous fave of the post-Scarlet albums.

ETA: I was a total fanboy of this album and the tour, but it's like a chore to listen to ADP now. Guess I got tired of imagining how good the songs COULD sound (because the writing itself isn't bad for the most part, and there a lot more poppy hooks than any other album) and just sought out music that already sounded good.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 08-02-2017 at 04:23 PM.

My first album after I became a fan. I was unaware of the reception of The Beekeeper (the first Tori album I listened and the one that has a special place in my heart, anyway), and, at the height of my 15 years, thought it was so edgy and cool and "look how I can rock".

It's ranked above AATS and GD for me, which is still bad, but when I'm in a good mood I can listen to some of it. And I love Smokey Joe and Dragon. and Digital Ghost

ADP has some really great songwriting buried underneath bad production and bad arrangements. Beauty of Speed stripped down to just piano is one of my favorite things Tori's done - the piano sounds so unique in this song. Solo Almost Rosey is also beautiful.

The funny thing is: she probably could have retained the mood/genre she was going for with her songwriting alone, without piling on the extra instruments. Maybe not excising them entirely, but pulling back some.

Imagine Code Red with the atmosphere and vocals of Hotel.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.