Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: American Doll Posse

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I think it's her most fun, light-hearted, and in some ways enjoyable record. It has enough variety and diversity for me to be able to listen in one go and not get tired; you could say songs like "Teenage Hustling" or "You Can Bring Your Dog" are just silly posturing fluff, but I appreciate the renewed energy and vigour. She's being a lot more experimental than you might initially think and there's a lot of new ground here for her. Some of my favourites include "Father's Son," "Beauty of Speed," and of course "Body and Soul," which I think is one of her best songs in that harder-edged rock style, and the frankly awesome "Code Red." That piano!

It's messy but I think it's mostly a good kind of messy. It's fun and energetic, often without trying to be. Sometimes when she tries to do a fun/funny sort of song ("Mary Jane") it doesn't come off, but here there's just a lightness that keeps me interested. This is an album where I can deal with it being huge and sprawling, it feels like it was meant to be that. I'm ok with that. Do I think it's her absolute finest work? No. But there's definitely a space in her catalogue for a fun, not so serious kind of record, and this is it. And while she was at it, she managed to write some really great songs too. Count me in the ADP 'like' club.
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the album. I think it definitely sticks out of her catalogue like a sore thumb. It is her most fun and quite an energetic album. It sounds like she is having a good time with this one, and the fact that her tour for this album was so great really demonstrates this. It may not have the intimate feel of her other albums, but I think it was a nice change of pace for her. Yeah, there are definitely a bunch of production misfires all over this album- but for me it is such an enjoyable album to listen to, that I can overlook them. I'll always be a defender of this album.

And obviously, as someone who is a big fan of glam rock it is nice to see her do a little nod to it.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    For me, ADP is better than Beekeper and better than AAtS. It has some pretty atrocious guitar-work and some clunky lyrics, but it has this sense of energy and fun about it too, and some really well-written songs (Almost Rosey, for example). It has some pretty pretentious moments, but on the balance it is less pretentious than the album that came before it and the album that came after it. It is the only Tori Amos album I would even consider putting on (in edited form) at a party.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Also, I don't care, Secret Spell is a great 70's style pop-rock song with some memorable lyrics and a lot sadness behind the smile (I consider it in the same class as Taxi Ride), and Mr Bad Man is just a really well-put-together song, both musically and lyrically (the sea of frozen words!).

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    I would like this album more than I do, but the production is so god-awful that I find over half of it unlistenable. Too bad, because she killed some really good songs.
    This is how I feel too. There are plenty of good songs on ADP, they're just buried under bad production/instrumental choices. It's telling that every single song sounds better live, whether with the band or solo. There are a couple songs on the album that are beyond redemption (Yo George, Mr. Bad Man, You Can Bring Your Dog) but for the most part this album could've been good if it was done a little differently and was trimmed down a bit.

The thing about ADP is that the "rock" songs sound very "rock-by-numbers" to me. They just don't sound new or inspired. I hate Code Red. It sounds like late 90s modern rock drivel. I would love Secret Spell if the production didn't hurt my ears, and Mr. Bad Man is a great, great song with great production. What's weird to me is this: I never dislike an album because of its production because even though artists go for different sounds, the production quality is still fine. Usually, I don't even really pay attention to how albums are produced, but sometimes, Tori's later albums are so badly produced that you can't NOT notice. I just don't get it. For instance, I like how Neko Case drenches her albums in reverb, or how crisp and clear and vintage sounding Midlake's albums are...but those are production choices, not production quality. With all of her expensive equipment and engineers, I don't understand how something like Secret Spell comes out sounding like it was recorded on Garage Band.

I don't know if I'm even making sense because I don't really know how to convey what I mean, but it's odd when an album just sounds bad. And I'm also finding that there is this weird thing with me and Tori now where every new album makes me like the one before it a million times more. I really disliked TBK when it came out, but after ADP was released, I got into it. Now, after AATS, I like ADP better and LOVE TBK. Anyone else do this? I don't know why it is...it's a mystery to me

I suppose I never really gave "American Doll Posse" a chance, simply based on the contrivances of the lyrics, title(s), the artwork, et. al. As much as I do appreciate the actual songwriting itself, as evidenced by the already mentioned more successful solo versions or even the 2007 live band, I always feel like Tori is hiding here. There is great work that is buried by concept or bad guitar work, and worst of all a sense of complete disorganization. The "interlude" tracks fail to impress and end up weighing down the lengthy running time, while also supplying many of the more embarrassing moments, and the addition of "Smokey Joe" and "Dragon" hidden after "Posse Bonus" just disconnects those songs from "American Doll Posse" as a whole. In short, I can't wrap my head around this period of Tori's development, but all that said I do find certain aspects enjoyable. Despite the more obvious ridiculousness of their nature, "Secret Spell", "You Can Bring Your Dog", and "Mr. Bad Man" are decidedly fun to listen to when in the right mood. Sure there are deeper meanings underneath the immediate catchiness, but in those instances I can appreciate both sides: the introspective and the simple head bobbing beats. The same can't be said for "Teenage Hustling." And for one reason or another, "Roosterspur Bridge" into "Beauty of Speed" has always been a favorite.

Individual tracks are digestable, but as a complete LP I just can't stomach ADP.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    I have given American Doll Posse many listens, and I honestly just really can't get into. I never have the desire to listen to it. I do love Code Red and Bouncing off Clouds. The rest of the songs I could have lived without. I do like Almost Rosey very much, b/c it has really strong lyrics. Dragon grew on me later on. The tour was really amazing though. I loved what it brought out such as the Me and a Gun with the band.
    Last edited by toriMODE; 06-21-2010 at 08:40 PM.

One of my favorite albums. I can understand why people don't like it, but I think it's fantastic. It's full of energy, nice clean production. Some of her greatest pop songs. I really think Tori gave Epic a commercial goldmine with this, and they totally shat on it.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    American Doll Posse was a huge step up from The Beekeeper, but it felt so forced to me. And the production is so... flat. I really want to like songs like Digital Ghost and Code Red like others do but I think they sound so muddled. Dragon and Smokey Joe are obviously some of the finest songs of her career and the tour that followed was amazeballs. There's some positive to it.

Here's my edit:

01. Dragon
    02. Bouncing off Clouds
    03. Father's Son
    04. Beauty of Speed
    05. Smokey Joe
    06. Roosterspur Bridge
    07. Big Wheel
    08. Teenage Hustling
    09. Body and Soul
    10. Secret Spell
    11. Almost Rosey
    12. Dark Side of the Sun

^My ADP edit is this:
    1. Teenage Hustling
    2. Bouncing Off Clouds (I wish there was a way to get a different vocal on this one though, the studio one is terrible)
    3. Digital Ghost
    4. Big Wheel
    5. Beauty of Speed
    6. Code Red
    7. Fat Slut
    8. Smokey Joe
    9. Girl Disappearing
    10. Body and Soul
    11. Dragon (live)
    12. Drive All Night
    13. Almost Rosey (live, solo)
    14. Roosterspur Bridge (live from Syracuse, NY) (The only great version of this song)
    15. Velvet Revolution
    16. Dark Side of the Sun

I just hate the lyrics to DSOTS so much, I can't ever listen to it. The fact that a lot of people like that song makes me question my reaction, but still. I can't. I hate it. It's worse than Ribbons Undone to me. WELCOME TO HYPERBOLE JUNCTION. XD

My ADP edit looks like:

1. Fat Slut
    2. Big Wheel
    3. Bouncing Off Clouds
    4. Teenage Hustling
    5. Girl Disappearing
    6. Programmable Soda
    7. Code Red
    8. Dragon
    9. Body and Soul
    10. Beauty of Speed
    11. Smokey Joe
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    I just hate the lyrics to DSOTS so much, I can't ever listen to it. The fact that a lot of people like that song makes me question my reaction, but still. I can't. I hate it. It's worse than Ribbons Undone to me. WELCOME TO HYPERBOLE JUNCTION. XD
    I feel the same way about Dragon. I can't stand it but everyone else does, so it feels like my ears are broken. I do like DSOTS, but I totally can see how someone wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I feel the same way about Dragon. I can't stand it but everyone else does, so it feels like my ears are broken. I do like DSOTS, but I totally can see how someone wouldn't.
    yep, i also LOVE DSOTS, but don't really get DRAGON. it's a good song, but nothing special.

I've never been able to take this record seriously. Just a crapload of camp in between the record itself and the tour. Not necessarily a bad thing, just makes it hard for me to care to criticize or praise it too much. Love Bouncing off Clouds, Body and Soul, and Miracle.

re Dragon, I like it because of the vocals and the melody/ instrumentation. I know that the lyrics are not her strongest.