Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1678

Thread: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    ^ Can you expand on your thought here? COMT is a song I have never quite understood the meaning of... but I do love it.
    Okay, the way I read it is like this: both songs are about going round and round in circles that might be self-defeating in their outcome. However, CC is very much a song about diminishing returns whereas COMT is a narrative of acknowledgment of diminishing returns and willingness to cross the barrier into emancipation. That dimension of emancipation seems completely absent from CC; indeed, it seems to me that in CC, even Art seems to be no longer Doing The Trick, if you see what I mean. So, having COMT right after CC is like she's trying to invoke the energy of a previous version of herself to muster the courage to go forth. If we were to compare the structure and denouement of these two songs, they could not be more different: the obliqueness of COMT stands in huge contrast to the straightforwardness of CC. In terms of theme, there is still hope at the end of COMT; at the end of CC, not so much. I am only scratching at the surface here but I hope you can see what I am getting at.

And look at the three songs opening the concert:

Maybe California
    Leather
    Curtain Call

Having COMT complete the opening arc of the concert seems to be providing some sort of respite, I guess. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you!
    Robbing the muse...

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Omg I had never seen the Maybe California performance from that concert. It' so fucking sad, jesus. It makes me cry, and it's not easy to do that!
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I don't think I've listened to Maybe California since... 2010? 2011? I just watched that performance and though I wasn't floored, I was moved. It might not be her best, but it says a lot about her as a performer if she can stir emotions in me with a song that I once referred to as a "a piece of shit on a stick sold as a lollipop".
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

On the Native Invader thread people is talking about how lame is 500 miles and how nice is its bridge, I post my thought here because being OT makes me feel so bad.

Imho 500 miles is actually ruined by the arrangement. Solo piano is a cute song with a beautiful bridge. If we ignore some of the lyrics.

My website! LOOK, ART!1

"His body like a sculpture, almost decorated"

But yeah, the ending is gorgeous, one of the very few moments of AATS when she seems to FEEL something.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    "His body like a sculpture, almost decorated"
    What's wrong with that sentence?
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    What's wrong with that sentence?
    it sounds bad to me too, it's like... a poor analogy? It's pretty cheap, both the concept and the wording.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1

It's lame. I mean, it's like saying "your teeth are like pearls". C'mon, she can do better metaphors and comparisons (the ice-cream assassin comes to my mind right now).
    Plus, I really don't want to have the mental image of Mac Aladdin without clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Plus, I really don't want to have the mental image of Mac Aladdin without clothes.

It's a commonplace, but not at all embarassing. I think it's a beautiful image that doesn't distract from the song. Maybe it all comes down to different tastes... to me, she's way more embarassing when she tries to be trasgressive or ironical in a bad way. "Get off the cross we need the wood", for example, is one of the worst thing I heard her sing, especially following "I've been on my knees but you're so hard to please". She tries to be provocative and witted by creating some kind of a slogan, but she miserabily fails.
    Or when she goes all "I'm gonna rip your cock off smegma bitch" and "you're such a dirty girl", or she tries to hint a the word "cock" in different ways (cocksure best, cockpit, the cock on the cover).

I really don't know why some things are perceived as cool only because they sound trasgressive and are not really.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

I have more of a problem with the music than the lyrics in 500 Miles, AATS as a whole album, and TBK, ADP and AATS. If the music was killer the lyrics would work no matter how odd they look on paper. I wish Tori would put music first and everything else (lyrics, husband, how will she pull it off on tour) second.
    Robbing the muse...

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I don't think there's transgression or irony in her use of the cliche "get off the cross, we need the wood". It's good direction and more people should take it. It means your pretense of victimization is misguided and a waste of time and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I don't think there's transgression or irony in her use of the cliche "get off the cross, we need the wood". It's good direction and more people should take it. It means your pretense of victimization is misguided and a waste of time and resources.
    I just thought it lazy to use that cliche (after a few on TBK too) when she'd previously been so inventive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    If the music was killer the lyrics would work no matter how odd they look on paper.
    I used to think the same think, specially when it comes to pop hits. Britney, for instance: "Baby one more time" has very basic lyrics but that melody will be part of History.
    But with Tori, I can't think that way. There's a perfect example of a killer melody and oh-no-she-didn't: "Maybe California". The melody sounds inspired, not forced, like one of those moment when she was touched by the muses. Like "Hey Jupiter" or "1000 oceans". And then she threw this lyrics about "get rid of your sadness girl, you have to make your husband happy". I just can't. And there are Clive versions that show how beautiful the melody is, but the lyrics (and yeah, the vocals and the Visualette, but it's not the point here) ruin the song. Tori's career has a couple of these examples, "great music, hideous lyrics". Luckily, since NOH Tori seems to be paying a little more attention to lyrics. Which can also is a problem because she releases albums so quickly that you don't have enough time to distinguish if what you've written needs more correction or not.