Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1685

Thread: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

^ Yes. I am in love with the vocals on UG and NI.

I did really enjoy much of the AATS tour - including this from Raspberry Swirl Minneapolis 2009:

^ 3 minute mark it gets good... she also seems to give Mark the finger after that point - not really an engineering gesture LOVE IT. Nevermind. It is a the song is ending gesture. I like to believe she is giving Mark the finger cause sometimes she wants a vagina

I hate Strong Black Vine on the album but actually really enjoyed the swearing rants on tour. It redeemed the song for me. When I hear the organ for SBV live I get excited. It is how the song should have sounded on the album. More organic and organ heavy... But anyway I particularly enjoyed the version at my show in Toronto - she seemed to be 1996 demon Tori When she says mother fucker at the end (shit quality - sorry).

Last edited by Beelust; 06-05-2018 at 03:06 AM.
    Robbing the muse...

^
    I always thought the "Tori rants & swears" section of Strong Black Vine was super contrived and forced, like she wanted it to be some big cathartic emotive screaming finale to the main set.......which, fine I guess it's nice she tried. Never really worked for me all that much.

What I will say is that in spite of the many many issues I have with this era as a whole, nobody will ever be able to convince me that the second show she put on in London (at the Hammersmith Apollo) wasn't one of the best of the tour. She performed her heart out that night, the Bells For Her is one of my absolute fave performances of that song ever.

I don't understand how SBV resembles anything close to 1996 Tori aside from the F word. It's for the soccer mom set as much as The Beekeeper, except this time it's for moms still trying to be "edgy" with tattoos and piercings and Godsmack CD's in the minivan.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I tried to listen to this album again after reading this thread this morning. I even tried using Andy's edited list. And I just can't. It's too deeply flawed in too many ways for me to enjoy

This album truly feels like being at the bottom of the well and denying it or trying to justify it. It wasn't until UG and mainly NI that I realized not even the AATS songs I considered keepers are worth the time. I used to love Starling, Flavor, AATS (the song), Welcome to England, but after hearing what kind of really good songs Tori can still write and produce I have no desire to revisit this album ever again. Maybe Fast Horse for once in a while.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    ^ Same. Heck, this even goes for several UG tracks for me. She worked her way back to herself and I am here for it.

AATS is an interesting piece of her work in a historical sense, knowing where she was mentally and spiritually. I like examining it in that way, not as a successful endeavor but as a true reflection of where she was at when she made it made it.
    That doesn't mean I enjoy it though. It's like grotesque art.

Also, I think she was really trying hard with this album, but she had lost her connection with the muses. I don't think this album is phoned in. She just really couldn't pull off what she was trying to achieve.
    Last edited by John's Face; 06-06-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Someone here said that AATS sounded like Tori in the middle of clinical depression and I can't argue with that. There was a lot going on -- the musical, the new contract, the commercial & critical failure of the last TWO albums, plus whatever was going on with Mark and any other family/personal stuff... etc, etc. So yeah if that's really true (but I'm sure we'll never know) we could finally shoot that "artists have to be suffering to do anything of quality" idea out of the sky once and for all.

For the record I don't hear a depressed mind behind Boys For Pele, it sounds more like someone on the rebound with a new lease on life/themselves, especially with the feeling of resolution in the last bunch of tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    AATS is an interesting piece of her work in a historical sense, knowing where she was mentally and spiritually. I like examining it in that way, not as a successful endeavor but as a true reflection of where she was at when she made it made it.
    Oh, definitely. And I've got to give it to her, it's rare to get such... creative honesty from an artist. She didn't bring anyone in to doctor the album; at that point, she was a depressed soccer mom going through, er, midlife issues, and that's what we have on the record.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    So yeah if that's really true (but I'm sure we'll never know) we could finally shoot that "artists have to be suffering to do anything of quality" idea out of the sky once and for all.
    I think this reasoning can work only when there's angst, when the artist has something to let out and music as an art serves as a way to process emotions. In the case of Tori music at that point was just homeworks and probably not the right medicine for her troubles. Everyone who went through depression at least once knows very well how depression is a kind of suffering that deadens emotions and it's so incredibly hard to fight back. I don't know how's for others, but I remember I couldn't feel anything, except for some occasional desperation I couldn't quite let out. Sadness = great art. Melancholy = my favourite kind of art. Desperation = powerful art. Depression = no thanks.
    If we're assuming Tori was depressed. She totally looked so and she admitted she was having health issues.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    i think with a fair bit of trimming this album becomes a good one. it's definitely bottom of the barrel in tori albums but i personally really like it. this is the track listing i use which i think really works:

1. give
    2. welcome to england
    3. strong black vine (this one i only like because of the live versions which i think are an improvement. the synthier sounding strings, the better)
    4. flavor
    5. curtain call
    6. maybe california (genuinely love this song, i've listened to people's complaints about it and while i understand, i do not agree at all)
    7. mary jane (deserves to be on this playlist the least but i think it creates a nice stop and palette cleanser between two songs, just like original sinsuality does on tbk)
    8. abnormally attracted to sin
    9. starling
    10. fast horse
    11. ophelia
    12. lady in blue
    13. oscar's theme

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    She worked her way back to herself and I am here for it.

me too

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    It's like grotesque art.
    Oh, how I wish! I haven't listened to AATS in years but I do have a soft spot for WTE and Curtain Call. Never thought I'd come to say this after a string of Tori Amos Band albums but UG and IN made me miss Matt and Jon quite a bit.

Just realized this album turns 10 this year!

Can't believe this is 10 years old now! I loved it when it was released, hated it a few months later, kind of liked it, and now I just accept it for what it is. I don't think it's terrible. It's just overlong and often tedious. I think my album edit is:
    1. Give
    2. Curtain Call
    3. Fast Horse
    4. Flavor
    5. Fire to Your Plain
    6. AATS
    7. Starling
    8. Ophelia
    9. Lady In Blue

I think Maybe California and 500 Miles could have been B-sides and, of course, Oscar's Theme.
    Last edited by pancakefrompele; 01-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.