Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109
Results 1,621 to 1,632 of 1632

Thread: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

i actually like some of aats but the one-two punch of "not dying today" and "maybe california" is enough to render anybody unconscious.
    Last edited by stoneforest; 10-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.

I totally get the "Tori Amos fan fiction" complaints about Ophelia's lyrics, but the piano work in that song is just so good to me that I can't bring myself to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrus658 View Post
    I totally get the "Tori Amos fan fiction" complaints about Ophelia's lyrics, but the piano work in that song is just so good to me that I can't bring myself to hate it.
    Totally agree (although I actually like some of the lyrics!). The piano work is gorgeous, I downloaded an mp3 of just the piano track from somewhere recently and I listen to it a lot.

Randomly decided to revisit this album tonight, and I'm... pleasantly surprised. The vocal affectations are annoying at times, but for the most part I really like this album. The production is some of her best post Scarlet. A shorter, more cohesive album would have obviously been a better listening experience.

The songs on my edit could have been a tight little record about aging, sexuality and balancing marriage, motherhood, and career. No need for a bloated, half-ass concept or "visualettes" as a gimmick.

My edit (after tonight's listen):
    - Give (I've always loved this song, still do. If I were a stripper this would have been my song)
    - Welcome to England (It's a fun track for a single. It's not her best ever, but I don't mind it. I think I prefer it to Trouble's Lament)
    - Flavor (this one really struck me for the first time. I've always been pretty meh about this song, but the light bulb went off tonight)
    - Curtain Call (Easily the best song on the album. Again, vocal delivery could use a little help)
    - Fire to Your Plain (It's a pretty forgettable song, but it fits thematically)
    - That Guy (Honestly, the music in this song is gorgeous. I would prefer a better vocal from her)
    - Abnormally Attracted to Sin (would prefer a shorter version)
    - Starling (I love everything about this song but the bridge. God it's a missed opportunity but the song is still good)
    - Fast Horse (Definitely Scarlet influence in this song. I've always liked it)
    - Ophelia (A lot of people refer to this as Tori by Numbers, but I like it)
    - Lady in Blue (Liked it then, still do)

Bonus songs:
    - 500 Miles (I love the bridge; that's pretty much it)
    - Mary Jane (Mary Jane was one I couldn't get into when this album came out and, although I don't love the lyrics, the music is fucking brilliant)
    - Oscar's Theme (A great bonus song)

Scrap altogether:
    - Maybe California (some of the music is amazing, I just don't think this song is fully developed, and the lyrics are some of the worst in her career)
    - Not Dying Today (In some ways I don't hate this song it just doesn't have a place on this record)
    - Police Me (I just don't have words)
    - Strong Black Vine (I love this song, but it wasn't meant for this album)
    Last edited by pancakefrompele; 08-23-2017 at 01:03 AM.

^ Thanks for this Please watch the Flavor "visualette". I really like it and I think fits well with the song:

I also love Ophelia.
    Robbing the muse...

Thanks @beelust. I love the Flavor visualette too. I also love the one for That Guy. It's filmed on Bourbon St. in New Orleans. The juxtaposition between Bourbon and a hurricane-battered house in the 9th ward is both heartbreaking and beautiful. My biggest problem with the visualettes is the fact they were intended for the ADP era. I know Tori was supposedly inspired by the footage when creating AATS, but the majority of the visualettes are disposable. Having a couple of these videos as bonus material would have maybe worked better that a video for every song, which is ambitious but the end result was a bit meh.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    - Strong Black Vine (I love this song, but it wasn't meant for this album)
    I couldn't disagree more.

SBV was never meant for any album ever recorded by anyone. Ever.

It's not just Tori bad. It's BAAAAAAAAD.

It's desperately trying to be edgy and relevant and make a controversial and bold statement - kind of like "God", "Precious Things", "Crucify" and "Icicle" to a lesser extent. But it's trying so damn hard that it just falls flat on it's face and becomes cringe worthy.

And the live versions? URGH. "Religion is bad, evil, evil, expletive, expletive, give audience the finger"...yeh THAT's edgy, they're gonna love it!"
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by scottslean View Post
    @zephyrus - haha yeah, sadly all of it.

I hate everything about U.G. The production is so bad, IMO. It just sounds cheap (ESPECIALLY the percussion), and I think the songs are noncohesive.
    I really don't know where to start about it, but also will just sound like a hater.

But I think the worst offenders are: "16 Shades of Blue" -- it sounds so cheesy, like a woman at your local open mic night's first foray into self-recording with a keyboard.

Wedding Day sounds like bad Celtic stock music that would be used in an educational film.

Giant's Rolling Pin I wont waste my breath on.

Whatever, no use debating it - I will always hate this album, the photoshoots, and of course, the cover art. Whenever I see it I think of this:

It's like a bad Sears photo studio shoot.

ANYWAYS back to AATS :P
    I have to agree with some of this. UG is a dreadfully uneven affair but I feel the low points you mention are negated by the beauty of Weatherman, Selkie and Oysters.

Revisiting AATS after some time. Normally I don't rag on Mac A, but the guitars are a bit much in "500 Miles"! The things you overlook and notice years later. Also, while this record has gotten a lot of heat in its day, the production is the tops. Literally a 180 switch from ADP!
    Last edited by couldbemessy; 10-04-2017 at 04:34 PM.

I don't listen to this album anymore, too boring. My only memory is that when it came out the clips were discussed on this forum, mentioning her bad "acting" and someone comparing her to the borg queen (star trek) which made me laugh so hard - don't remember for what song it was though

What I never really got is why she let Santa walk through muddy ponds with golden rubber boots towards the end of 500 Miles...

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDoggy View Post
    What I never really got is why she let Santa walk through muddy ponds with golden rubber boots towards the end of 500 Miles...