Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    AATS > 500 > MJ and Flavor > NDT are easily among the worst transitions in her career. On a more positive note, Starling > Fast Horse and the first four tracks are awesome transitions.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I really hate this album, but I will say the handful of songs that are good are really good. Like, the title track and Fast Horse, for example -- those are in the 'best since Venus' category. I just wish there wasn't stuff like 500 Miles and Not Dying Today, which are in my 'absolute worst ever' category. So I guess I feel like AAtS is Tori's most inconsistent record.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Am I the only one who loves Police Me? I love its weird movements and quirks. It's the only song on AATS that I still choose to listen to.

Oh oh, and does anyone notice how well the title track and Police Me flow into each other? Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    AATS > 500 > MJ and Flavor > NDT are easily among the worst transitions in her career. On a more positive note, Starling > Fast Horse and the first four tracks are awesome transitions.
    The middle half of the album desperately needs to be resequenced and/or edited. Not Dying Today into Maybe California and FTYP into Police Me are also terrible transitions. The middle part of the record can't gain any momentum or stay in a consistent mood and that makes it a much less enjoyable listening experience. I do like the Police Me/That Guy/AATS combo, the vocal on That Guy makes the AATS vocal work whereas in another spot it would be too jarring.

Overall I thought this record was an improvement on ADP, especially in terms of production. I think it's obvious Tori was also pushing to explore a bit musically as well and that gives me hope for the coming records as well since some of the best tracks on AATS are when she's doing unusual things. It's another record that benefits enormously from an edit, and I think if it was a 12-track album it would've been received well by both critics and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    i agree. especially STARLING>FAST HORSE. sometimes i just listen to the transition and not to the songs them self

The worst transition ever Original Sensuality > Ireland. What was she thinking?!
    Ireland ultimately ruins the flow that should be from OS straight to TBK.

Last spring when a few of the songs leaked, I remember listening to Give & Flavor back to back over and over. I went to the beach on May 1 right before it's release, and I played the hell out of those two songs. Later when I got the album, I couldn't believe that Tori would put a song such as "Not Dying Today" on a proper album release. Really did love Mary Jane unlike so many other fans, but today realize it should have just been delegated to b-side status on another disc altogether. The album is really good if you edit it down. I currently have it as a 13 track album. And it works. And I thought the tour was beautiful.

How in the name of all that's holy was He Has A Well You Have An Ocean not on AATS? I find myself playing that improv more than anything she's recorded in years.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    How in the name of all that's holy was He Has A Well You Have An Ocean not on AATS? I find myself playing that improv more than anything she's recorded in years.
    I sooo agree with this. I think it's an amazing song that should be on an album.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    The worst transition ever Original Sensuality > Ireland. What was she thinking?!
    Ireland ultimately ruins the flow that should be from OS straight to TBK.
    ye, but IRELAND would probably be a bad transition from/to every song

My least favorite of her records. The Beekeeper might have had plenty of really lazy lyrics, but AATS has so many flat-out bad ones that it usually gets in the way of ability to enjoy the record. I detest Give, Maybe California, Mary Jane, and Ophelia.

Quote Originally Posted by emptytuileries View Post
    Am I the only one who loves Police Me? I love its weird movements and quirks. It's the only song on AATS that I still choose to listen to.

Oh oh, and does anyone notice how well the title track and Police Me flow into each other? Perfect.
    Police Me is definitely my favorite at the moment. I think it's pure, classic Tori...just arranged in a way that's different than what she's done before. The perfect combination.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I must be in the minority here, but recently I concluded that Fire to Yer Plain is a flawless song.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I must be in the minority here, but recently I concluded that Fire to Yer Plain is a flawless song.

It's a pretty good song!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

I used to hate FTYP. But now it's one of my favorites, and I agree that it's flawless. I used to have a problem with the 80's synth, but now I think it's perfect.