Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnormally Attracted to Sin

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I remember when Welcome to England leaked, I was like "I have some nitpicks but I mostly love this song!" I was so excited. I counted ADP a step forward from the nadir of The Beekeeper, and WTE suggested she'd continue in that positive direction.

Then Fire to your Plain leaked and I was like "what"

Then 500 Miles leaked and I was like "THAT'S IT, I'M DONE."

AAtS has some great great songs on it, but my enthusiasm never recovered. First Tori album I never properly bought.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    I remember when Welcome to England leaked, I was like "I have some nitpicks but I mostly love this song!" I was so excited. I counted ADP a step forward from the nadir of The Beekeeper, and WTE suggested she'd continue in that positive direction.

Then Fire to your Plain leaked and I was like "what"

Then 500 Miles leaked and I was like "THAT'S IT, I'M DONE."
    Yeah, she had some poor choices for the sampler. Of all the songs to leak, it was those two? If it had been Starling and Fast Horse or the title track and Give, I think the anticipation would have been much higher, rather than the dread. I remember thinking at the time that it was possible that FTYP and 500 were the weakest songs on the then-unheard album, but part of me was terrified that they weren't.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    There is this piano-only version of Fire to Your Plain she played for some radio station. I don't remember the name of the station, but the date on the CD says 2009-05-28. That version of FtYP is just gorgeous. If it's OK to post, I'll post it (it's from an actual CD acquired from the station, so I don't know if it's OK or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Yeah, she had some poor choices for the sampler. Of all the songs to leak, it was those two? If it had been Starling and Fast Horse or the title track and Give, I think the anticipation would have been much higher, rather than the dread. I remember thinking at the time that it was possible that FTYP and 500 were the weakest songs on the then-unheard album, but part of me was terrified that they weren't.
    if i would have listen to the best songs before the release, i would have been SO disappointed (and don't get me wrong, i was still disappointed). maybe she know that just listening to the album for the first time without knowing 500M and FTYP, may damage our health.

FTYP solo:

FTYP solo just goes to show what a mess she can be as a producer sometimes.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Context: I love everything pre-Librarian, never liked Beekeeper, loved ADP at first but now only ever play a couple of it's tracks.

Some opinions:

The songs on AATS provoke the full range of my responses to Tori at her best and worst.

AATS, Fast Horse, Starling and That Guy are among my most played tracks of the past year, and I also like Flavor, Police-Me-LOL and Lady in Blue. I enjoy WTE & Curtain Call when I can set aside thinking about how much I would love them were it not for the cheesbox guitar distortion.

I'm not going to tell anyone "this is a Great Album" but like a football fan who's seen his team at the wrong end of the league for a few seasons, I'm heartened to see some goals here being scored with some flair: The harsh Starling guitar-picky sound and the way it's touched upon in other tracks; the use of the flute-organ (sorry I can't remember it's name) across several songs; the production on Flavor and Fast Horse sounding particularly "right" for the songs.

I wish she'd waited another year and got it down to under 60 minutes, but I expect she would've removed the wrong songs (Maybe California and FTYP - why does she think they're good?)

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    [I]
    I wish she'd waited another year and got it down to under 60 minutes, but I expect she would've removed the wrong songs (Maybe California and FTYP - why does she think they're good?)
    She doesn't really think they're good. They're just cheese imposed by her new Cheeto-hair-Clowny-wares god of fa(rt)shon. I'm sure she thought they were bsides material, honestly... She must have... !!!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Interaction

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    It's probably the best production we have had from Tori since 2000. ....It's flawed, but I love it ... I think the horrendous MWG cover makes this one look like a piece of classic art.
    Yes, yes, and yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Homogenik View Post
    Flavor (with remixes)
    Oh yeah. What a waste that commission of an excellent advant garde remixatrix that was.

Quote Originally Posted by emptytuileries View Post
    Am I the only one who loves Police Me?
    No! It is wonderful in it's deragement. It does go on a minute too long though, but that's not a new thing (TTTS I'm lookin at you "Let me say it 17 more ty-i-imes")

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    How in the name of all that's holy was He Has A Well You Have An Ocean not on AATS? I find myself playing that improv more than anything she's recorded in years.
    Yes. But then, ditto "Sometimes Things Break" not being on Scarlet.

Pete
    x

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I've just re-edited my tracklist. I've never really edited a Tori album before, and I don;t hate the tracks I took off, but what's frustrating about this album to me is that I can hear a good solid album in there - even with the production which is good with decent headphones - certainly her best since Scarlet. So, this works for me:

Give
    Welcome to England
    Flavour
    Curtain Call
    500 Miles
    Fire to your Plain
    That Guy
    Abnormally Attracted to SIn
    Starling
    Fast Horse
    Ophilia
    Strong Black Vine
    Lady in Blue
    Oscar's Theme

I hated 500 Miles, but I do love the last half so much now - taking it out pf the great flow at the end really makes it less awful though, and I think since she ended her tours with Strong Black Vine, it works better at the end for me. Anyway - I know people have their own, but I'm just sharing mine. Hm.

Banned
    - It's amazing
    - I love it
    - I like it
    - It'll do
    - Not very good
    - WTF was she thinking
    - It's an embarassment/abomination
    - It's a guilty pleasure
    - It had potential but she fucked it up
    - It should not be on the album

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2England View Post
    - It's amazing
    - I love it
    - I like it
    - It'll do
    - Not very good
    - WTF was she thinking
    - It's an embarassment/abomination
    - It's a guilty pleasure
    - It had potential but she fucked it up
    - It should not be on the album

Interesting observations. I will have a go at my own track by track summaries.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    These songs:

- Not dying today
    - 500 Miles
    - Maybe California
    - Mary Jane

have been deleted from my AATS playlist since the album leaked.
    Recently I got a little tired of That guy so it's gone too.
    I listened to Oscar's Theme just once and decided not to do it again :P

I'm really ok with the rest.
    There are songs I really love and others I simply like but as it is now it's a good album to me, although it still has some major flaws.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

I like this album a lot, it's in my top 5.

The cover is the wrong picture, for some reason Tori refuses to pick one of the many good pictures for the cover or the poster (Dual sided poster and she picked the only 2 pictures that really blow ass for it).

I don't really pay attention to whether or not albums work as a whole anymore. Everything gets thrown into iTunes and segmented; each song has to stand on its own. I think, despite any interviews, this was Tori's intention with this album. I honestly don't think she expected or cared if anyone just listened to the whole thing from start to finish. I think that's why so much B-side material was kept on the album.

Since this had a deluxe edition, she very well could have put the b-sides on the DVD and made a much tighter album but I really don't give a shit; that's for people who give a shit. I'll never listen to it start to finish unless my computer breaks or my car stereo stops accepting MP3 CD's and I have to pull out the actual disc.

Love:
    Police Me
    Curtain Call
    Fast Horse
    Starling
    500 Miles

Really Like:
    Give
    Welcome to England
    Abnormally Attracted to Sin
    Lady in Blue
    Strong Black Vine
    Flavor
    Ophelia

Meh:
    That Guy
    Fire to Your Plain
    Mary Jane
    Maybe California

Ugh:
    Not Dying Today
    Oscar's Theme (Sorry I just don't like the lyrics very much. This song makes an extended mix of China combined with Twinkle seem captivating)
    Last edited by SageBrushFire; 06-30-2010 at 06:50 PM.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    This record is one of those that I really really hoped I'd go back and listen to a year later and say "I was wrong, it's really not that bad".

Not only is it still that bad, it's worse. This was the record that made me realize that Tori and I had really and truly gone our separate ways. Save for two or three songs, it's absolutely atrocious in every way. She's just not making music for me anymore.

That being said, I'll always love the pre-ADP days (yes, even some of TBK) and I did like a fair amount of MWG. I'll always follow to see what she is doing, but it will be more like stalking an ex on Facebook.