Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwinter Graces

Love it and am so happy to have a Tori christmas album I can dig out every year. Some of the songs I listen to even now occasionally.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    I really want to get into this, with all of you praising it left, right & center. We just don't have a tradition of listening to carols here, which makes me think that I probably never will.

^ I think Winter's Carol has actually nothing to do with christmas/carols regardless its wintry theme.

I took a train from Toronto to Montreal this weekend and put this on my iPod. I absolutely love it from start to finish - including the 3 b-sides - with the exception of Harps of Gold (not sure what she was thinking here). It may be because I grew up in a christian family and went to church on Sundays (like Tori) but now do not associate with the church. My favourites are Holly, Ivy, and Rose (both parts of the song are gorgeous - love the rose intro/outro parts), and Winter's Carol. I hear a "baby voice" that people are referring to I guess, but to me it really adds to the album. Songs like Holly, Ivy, and Rose, Coventry Carol, and Jeanette, Isabella would not sound right in a lower voice... the voice is perfect for an xmas album. I also love the simplicity of Silent Night and Good King Wenceslas. Comfort and Joy is beautiful too - I ignore the bagel lyrics

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I was ready to throw up my arms and say I'm done when I heard of the project. Thank goodness I didn't. There's a lot of fluff on the record, but "Winter's Carol" and "Our New Year" restored my faith that she's still got it. I probably need to give it more of a chance because there really are a lot of shining moments.

The best album she's done since Scarlet's Walk. It's concise with clear themes, has gorgeous production and instrumentation, interesting arrangements and nothing (not even Harps of Gold) feels forced like a lot of ADP/AATS. Even the baby voice, which grates on me so much live, doesn't bother me here and I think it actually adds to the emotion in a few songs (Jeanette Isabella especially).

Surprisingly I find I can listen to the album year-round. Winter's Carol is just as amazing in 90 degree heat as it is in the snow.

I have a hard time ranking it among Tori's original work, even though she really did rework most of the songs. It's a beautiful holiday album. I did get tired of her performing Pink & Glitter. But I played the hell out of Star of Wonder - such a great song! Winter's Carol is amazing, but I don't seem to be as crazy about it as everyone else.

One of her bast albums in the past five years and the worst album art in the past 18 years. Midwinter Graces' high points are some of the highest in her career (Winter's Carol, Our New Year) and the low points are still okay (Pink & Glitter).

But I do agree with a lot of other people, it would have been better to release it THIS year so she could have proper promotion. They waited WAY too long to promote and they did it kind of poorly (Although better than they did for AATS).

Also will someone get with Tori and tell her which fucking songs to play? She has masterpieces like Our New Year, Winter's Carol and crowd friendly songs like A Silent Night with You and Snow Angel but she went for Pink and Glitter on Letterman. Ugh. Also she could have done a little post-christmas promotion with Our New Year ...

The more time I spend with it, the more I love it. Even in the warm weather...

I've been listening to Winter's Carol quite a lot, recently. It's such a masterpiece, IMO. The sound quality is fantastic. There's a lot of really interesting stuff happening in quite a few songs. Star Of Wonder is absolutely bombastic. Snow Angel has so many wonderful layers... if you really focus on what's happening behind the vocals. Very beautiful.

There is not a single song that I would have left out. Not even Harps Of Gold (but, then again, I'm one of the few who actually really like it...)

I remember the first time I heard Holly, Ivy and Rose... brought tears to my eyes. The thought of her singing with her daughter made me emotional. And, given that it's a holiday album, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so.

One of my favorite things about this album is rather insignificant, but it makes a huge difference for me. In Our New Year as well as Comfort and Joy, her voice cracks slightly... I don't know why it moves me so much, or why it matters so much. But it just adds this really raw quality that hasn't been especially present in her albums lately. There's a vulnerability in MWG that is quite endearing. It's a very sweet and beautiful album, and there's so much ground covered sound-wise and theme-wise, I don't, for a second, wish she hadn't done it/done it differently.

I really like the theme of this album...the return of the light, which is the main thing I think of when I observe the Winter Solstice, but also this unshakable faith that the good things inherent in mankind will ultimately come back to the forefront. It's uplifting!

I also like her selection of traditional songs that she reworked. Coventry Carol, The Holly and the Ivy, Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella, and What Child Is This are all favorites of mine. I think she did a wonderful job of remaining faithful to the lyrical and chord structure of the songs, as well as inserting a bit of Tori-ness. None of it seemed overblown.

Of the completely original songs, I think Winter's Carol and Our New Year are brilliant compositions. The rest are a bit too Fori-ish for my tastes.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Must confess I have only played this album from start to finish like... never.
    After I looked at the album cover, this album was doomed in my mind. I did like Winter's Carol at the beginning, and still kind of do, but I think the structure is all fucked up. Could've been much better. It feels repetitive.
    I do love, though, Holly, Ivy & Rose. Love it. It's so beautiful!
    I should probably dedicate a weekend to this album. Maybe this will be it.

I responded to it quite positively when it came out, but now I can't even listen to it because of her vocals. It sucks because production/instrumentation-wise it is totally the best she's done since Scarlet's Walk.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I'm holding out until later in the year to listen to it again but yeah the vocals were off-putting. But the instrumentation was pretty great and her first use of harpsichord since Pele!

You never know, maybe she started toying with other ideas on the harpsichord for the next album

I don't listen to it at all these days, but I was really surprised when I first heard it. The only two songs I really disliked were A Silent Night With You (too sappy) and Pink and Glitter (too jarring and silly), but the rest of the songs were beautifully done. She does do the baby voice in some of the songs, but overall it's her best album in a long time.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    "The radio plays
    My holiday faves"