Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwinter Graces

^One sappy bubble gum radio song out of 12 is actually pretty damned good for a Holiday album. (Maybe 2 if you count Harps of Gold but that seems more like wannabe Christian alternative to me)

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    In the same way that only being punched in the head by one of the dozen guys one is being mugged by is preferable to each of them doing it?

I'll write something less glib later (old habits die hard) but, yeah, not really a fan of MWG.

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    In the same way that only being punched in the head by one of the dozen guys one is being mugged by is preferable to each of them doing it?

I'll write something less glib later (old habits die hard) but, yeah, not really a fan of MWG.
    More like only 1 of the 12 delicious cakes was tainted with ex-lax. All cakes were delicious, the experience was mostly positive. After the party you vehemently regret eating that laxative cake but at least you got some joy out of the experience.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    I think the last time I listened to it was approximately two months ago.
    I still believe it's her best effort after SW (in some parts it's the best since SLG, there are thing that I definitely love most than SW) but yes, her voice is annoying here and there.
    It's obviously limited by the theme... it's a little odd listening to "Nooweeeel Nooweeel" in July.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Following on from some discussion of WTF hand gestures and movements in the AATS thread, one of my all-time faves is at 2:16 here. It's like she's got a twitch!

I adore her outfit in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by SageBrushFire View Post
    More like only 1 of the 12 delicious cakes was tainted with ex-lax. All cakes were delicious, the experience was mostly positive. After the party you vehemently regret eating that laxative cake but at least you got some joy out of the experience.
    Sage, I just want to tell you how much I love your metaphors. It wouldn't let me add to your reputation again, so here you go. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    You know what though? I find that song weirdly pretty for the most part and I'm a little ashamed. But...it's a corny xmas song so maybe I am more forgiving.
    Actually, I'm surprised how much I like this song too (and am also slightly embarrassed by this fact). The live versions (especially the ones with the Leslie Cabinet effect) are lovely and classic Tori. Same goes for Janette, Isabella.

I love A Silent Night With You.

There's some kind of melancholy that is gorgeous about that song. The strings, the emotion... It just grabs people. It's not a happy song, it's not a sad song. It's a pop song filled with 'saudade' or something. That's really hard to achieve.

Also, 'holiday faves' is not bad coming after an album with 'SAT NAV TO HELL' in it.

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    "The radio plays
    My holiday faves"
    You know what would've sounded much better?

"The radio plays
    As we lie on the chaise"

Or how 'bout this:

"The radio plays
    At our favorite cafes"

OR EVEN

"The radio plays
    As your penis decays"

Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    It looks like she's channeling Micheal Jackson with that outfit. I still like it though!

Usually when I've seen her do that head-flip thing, it's to get hair out of her face/ mouth w/o using her hands. But this time I saw no wig-hairs out of place, so I am at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    one of my all-time faves is at 2:16 here. It's like she's got a twitch!
    Love it! Can someone edit in footage of a football flying on stage, then Tori heads it in to the net that's just off screen?

Quote Originally Posted by G. View Post
    Me too. It's an example of the "Fancy Dress Party" look working, she looks fun.

I still have little warmth for the album though With SLG she took the tried and tested humdrum career-staple of a generic covers album and turned it on its head in exciting, clever, dynamic and original ways. With MWG she did not do the equivalent. I probably dislike the album more for the fact that it reminds me of that, than for it's actual qualities. There's a few good songs, it's easy listening. I own 3 other xmas albums, Loreena McKennit and Enya's never got played all the way through ("It's stuck on repeat! Oh hai no this is track 4 now") and Aimee Mann's One More Drifter In The Snow is a masterpiece. MWG sits between them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    "The radio plays
    As we lie on the chaise"
    "The radio pays
    The artists it plays
    Which is an incentive
    To not be too inventive"

Banned
    This album could have REALLY been her comeback if 1) the cover wasn't so horrendously abymsal beyond all reason, and 2) if "Harps of Gold" were a B-Side. (I actually like "Pink and Glitter"). I even don't mind the holiday faves line. I actually find Harps of Gold incredibly catchy but it's really cheesy and brings the artfulness of the record down several notches.

But the main thing is "Our New Year." I was more taken with "Winter's Carol" when the album came out ( and I still love WC, don't get me wrong), but "Our New Year" is the first track since anything on ADP that makes me feel like I'm really listening to Tori, not Fori. (AATS was pretty much all Fori). I just love love "Our New Year." Again I just wished the return to good piano based songwriting and melody that a lot of the album represents was paired with a stripped down image. This glamour zombie thing does not work. And it makes me frustrated!!