Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diamanda Galás

Diamanda Galás

I guess Diamanda Galás doesn't really need an introduction.

Here's her very own thread.

I listened to Malediction and Prayer today and its an achingly beautiful record. She hasn't released anything as good since. AND it's been 14 years since the release!

One of my favourite performances of hers is this version of 25 Minutes To Go:

I think the first album I bought was Malediction and Prayer, and then Masque and Vena Cava, which I somehow listened to very often.

I've seen her three times (in a church, canal and theatre) and seeing her perform live I felt at times totally absorbed and other times as if I were studying the most amazing phenomenon.
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

encephalopathic
    She really is fantastic. I'll be going to Chicago in February to see her live for the second time at the Museum of Contemporary Art. I'm really excited to see this performance as it's going to coincide with an exhibition covering art from the 80's and can't wait to hear what she pulls out. I love her piano and vocals albums, but it'd be awesome to get a Masque/Plague Mass centered performance.

The first album I bought was Plague Mass back in 97 and it completely changed the way I listened to music and viewed art. I can remember how much it scared me the first few times I listened to it because of how direct, raw and confrontational it is. After that I bought everything I could find. Plague Mass and Malediction and Prayer are still two of my favorite albums.

I really love this performance:
    http://youtu.be/njohSFVEaB4

(sorry, I can't figure out how to imbed video.)

I have two favorite albums of her. "Schrei X", when I want to listen the crazy-avant-garde Diamanda, and "Guilty! Guilty Guilty!" when I want to listen her covers. The sirens on the chorus of "Heaven have mercy" give me goosebumps.
    I still can't get into "Defixiones, Will And Testament". It's the first album of her that I owned (it was a present for my 23th birthday) and I still can't get it. It's too... I don't know what's the word, it's something between cerebral and cold. Which is weird, coz I think it has the most powerful concept of her whole discography: the Turkish genocide. Also, there are some terrible pictures in the booklet.

In your face, Edith Piaf.

Her website is really cool, she writes and posts very interesting articles to read.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Oh, and she should release "Insekta" NOW.
    She's been playing that show since '93, and still hasn't been released it on cd.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I saw her a few years ago in NYC, when she was doing covers of love songs in French. I was completely mesmorized, but I was also alone and had had a few glasses of wine.

I'm also going to the Chicago show in February, but this time I'm bringing the SO and a friend. I'm really hoping they get into it and don't make fun of her to the point of giving me church giggles.

I think she's both amazing and cringe-worthy, so I'm hoping to stay on the amazing side this time as well.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I saw her live a couple of years ago and she is a whole life experience. Any of you who hasn't seen her but might have the chance: don't hesitate, you MUST see her live!

She's great, I'll never forget seeing her live in Paris some years ago... These days I'm more into the piano blues stuff then her experimental side, but every now and then it's nice to exorcise some demons with Litanies of Satan and Vena Cava.

This song almost sounds loving and tender but hey, it's still Diamanda!

Diamanda Galas - Interlude
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0VyiPPfQnU

love her! I, too, can't wait for Insekta. it should get a proper cd release. "Defixiones, Will And Testament" was the first album I bought as a fan. too bad she hasn't released much since than.

a couple of months ago there was a freaking amazing live performance (of Abel at Cain, IIRC) posted on her website, but it's gone now

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    I don't listen to her that much but sometimes she's just what I need. The Sporting Life gets the most plays from me, but I think my favorite is actually You Must Be Certain of the Devil -- the industrial/goth rock arrangements on some tracks really compliment her voice. I wish she had more albums with that kind of sound. Her piano blues albums (Malediction & Prayer being the best) are great but I rarely feel like listening to those. I've heard Schrei X once in its entirety and that was enough.

rather good quality video of Double Barrel Prayer here:
    http://www.podcast.tv/video-episodes...r-7653895.html

//OT

and just because I'm obsessed right now, I'd figured this might be a good place to promote one of Diamanda's truest peers: Jarboe, of the band Swans, World of Skin and various solo projects. Her vocal style is nothing like Diamanda's, but her subject matter (horror, murder, perversion) and dark mythos remind me a lot of early Diamanda.

Last edited by Octopussy; 01-26-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Tonight is my show, I'm so excited.

ENJOY!!!!!!

when? where? what?

she is truly...an experience!
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

Came across this interview on Youtube....her quotes on Axl Rose are priceless!!!

[ validated ]

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rask of Trevdale View Post
    Tonight is my show, I'm so excited.
    You're in for a great experience! Enjoy! And report back!

Quote Originally Posted by eresos View Post
    ENJOY!!!!!!

when? where? what?

she is truly...an experience!
    She is playing at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago tonight and on Saturday. On Friday and Sunday she is screening the Schrei X movie, so I think I'm going to do that as well.

There is an exhibit running at the museum about performance art in the 1980's, so that is why she's been asked to play. It says on the website that she is doing "songs for voice and piano, including blues covers and songs from her Masque of the Red Death trilogy."

I really want to see some of the more brutal Red Death stuff, so I'm hoping it's not just "Swing Low Sweet Chariot."