All Things Figure Skating

Results for the 2012 US National Championships
    http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/results/

Ladies Short Program Results:

Men's Short Program Results:
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    First time Quad Lutz landed: (Although I don't know if they ratified it as cleanly landed)

Remember that Michael Weisz was trying them in the late '90s but could never come clean on it/land it cleanly.
    I didn't think i'd see a quad lutz for many, many years. I can't believe they are trying and landing them already. One of the Japanese skaters is attempting a quad flip which is just under the lutz in difficulty. Next thing, they'll being trying quad axels.

Maybe we will see a 4lutz attempt at nationals tonight or tonight. I don't know when the men skate.
    Last edited by Volta; 11-16-2015 at 06:00 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Two performances of Tori Amos' "Winter" by Michelle Kwan

Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O'Meara competed with the music to "Sweet the Sting" at the 2006 Olympics Original Dance, but I can't find it on youtube.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I love love love figure skating and used to watch it whenever I'd happen upon it on television. It's usually my favorite sport to watch during the Winter Olympics.

I remember watching this during the 2006 Olympics and being moved to tears when she won the gold. She's such a lovely skater.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar

Memorable because:

* He looks like Adrien Brody
    * That tuxedo
    * Look at those limbs! They're just meant for something artistic, be it ballet or skating
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Two of my favorite Nicole Bobek skates:

And I love this skate by Lu Chen.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

This is a blurrrrry picture I just took with my phone, because I have no scanner, of me when I won the 2000 Midwestern Invitational my only 1rst place finish in singles skating. I have tons and tons of photos.. I might try to get them scanned sometime. I skated pairs, as well.. most of the pictures I have are with my pairs partner. I haven't skated since 2004. I literally have not been on the ice since 2004. I think I might go skating again soon at a public session. I dunno.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I am not into figure skating or ice dancing, but the moment when I was just stunned was this perfomance. I was also lucky that it was performed in my native country during the 1984 Olympics (Sarajevo) .Simply a classic. A few years after the war stopped, Torvill & Dean went to visit the part of the town they were and it was all destroyed

Torvill & Dean from GBR

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I remember watching this performance and being blown away by their energy and the awesome reverse lift (I had never seen one done before because they were the first to do it.) One of the greatest ice dancing pairs ever.

Final Results
    Ladies

Mens

I think Zhang was robbed of the Bronze, tho, I do understand that her Short Program scores were more that 10 points off the leader which probably made the difference. Actually, Alissa and Agnes should have been 5th and 6th behind Zhang and Gao on the freeskate alone.

I agree with the mens result except that maybe Armin should have fell a few more places down, but, again, he had a nice lead in third place going into the freeskate.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Kala,
    I loved Anassina and Peizerat, tho, I think they were overmarked when they won the olympic gold. Actually, almost every elite French skater(s) had something special.. some sort of flare that the others didn't. Philippe Candeloro, Surya Bonaly, A&P, Gusmeroli, Hubert, Jubert.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Hey guys, I'm asking you all, if you would be so kind and you're fans of Figure Skating, to sign this petition for Mirai Nagasu. She finished third at the US Nationals/Olympic Trials and is being left off the Olympic Team for the woman who finished 4th. The US has 3 Spots in Sochi. I am very upset about this.

Here is the link to the petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/u-s-...gasu-to-sochi#
    And here is a youtube video I did in disgust over the decision.
    I think it is important you know that Mirai finished 4th at the 2010 Vancouver Games. The USFSA's decision - or their reasoning for not taking her makes no sense.. especially when you look at what happened in the mens event.. where the man: Max Aaron - who qualified their two spots, finished on the podium in 3rd at this nationals.. wasn't put on the team. The argument is that Ashley helped qualify 3 spots so she should go. But the men are not sending the guy who qualified them an extra spot. But if Jason Brown was Asian American.. I wonder if they would have leap frogged him to get Max on that team.
    It's just blatantly unfair. If their are 3 spots the top 3 should go.

I did a youtube vlog about this, you don't have to watch it by any means.. but it explains my frustrations in more detail and that link is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_zZdCE3CDw

If we can get this petition signed more we might not be able to influence the decision.. but we may be able to let the USFSA know the injustice they served up. And maybe help things like this not happen with them in the future.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Something I never thought I'd ever see: THE QUAD LUTZ .. and this guy does it in combination with a triple toeloop (second video - first man to ever land that combination)

The Lutz is the most difficult of the regular jumps that take off backwards. The axel is the most difficult of all the jumps but it takes off forward and is in its own category when people talk about jumps.. The LUTZ.. It's a very difficult jump because you are jumping against your edge (outside edge on the takeoff). The flip takes off on the same leg with the same pole vault but youre jumping with the edge (inside edge), with the momentum and torque of your body.. just to kinda talk about how difficult it is. And even a Quad flip.. I wouldn't have thought anyone could land that jump either without breaking their ankle attempting and practicing it.

Men (very elite level) have been landing Quad Toeloops and Quad Salchows for quite a while. Quad attempts kinda dipped for about ten years because they weren't being rewarded enough. With the new Code of Points system and the last Olympics you get much more rewarded for even attempting them. So you're seeing more men do them.. but not like this. A quad lutz.. holy cow.

I am still speechless when I watch him do it. It must be to skating what the four-minute mile was to running. It sets a whole new standard. I think men are going to see that it's possible and maybe try harder quads.. quad lutz, quad flips, quad loops. It's just incredible. And you have to remember that skating equipment has hardly changed over the years. Skates are still basically constructed the way they have been for decades.. so for men to land clean quad lutz.. it just takes amazing strength and bravery.

Here is the combination via the short program at the same event:
    Last edited by Volta; 11-16-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

This is kind of scary to see not one but two quad lutz' in a ladies long program. And, btw, the other Russian lady on the Skate America podium landed two triple axels. What in the world!!!
    I get so fearful when I see these skaters attempting the most difficult quad you can do.

Another thing is that she did the lutz twice. It's only recently been a "thing" as it is so difficult, whereas a quad like the Toeloop has been landed in competition since the mid-90s in the men's event with a lot of regularity. Every jump but the lutz jumps with or into the circle of the jump. The quad lutz takes off on the free leg's outside edge which brings you outside of the circle for the takeoff. You're jumping against the edge and it feels very weird. Sometimes you'll see a skater doing a triple lutz roll over onto the inside edge at the last minute which we call a flutz because the triple or quad flip takes off on the free leg's inside edge.. and you do get a deduction or edge call if this happens. Again, the flip, inside edge, rotates and caters into or with the circle.

It's so difficult and it takes unbelievable ankle strength to hit this difficult jump.

Last edited by Volta; 10-21-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.