Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Bat For Lashes

So bright it blinded me... RecoveringXian's Avatar

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Wow The Hunger is easily the best of the three, and now I’m looking forward to an album that lives up to The Haunted Man and Two Suns.

Not into The Hunger, kinda reminds me of her previous album. Kids in the Dark, however, is still gorgeous
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I was lucky enough to get an advance stream of the album, and I've been listening to it a lot in the past few weeks. I really like it! My faves so far are 'So Good' and 'Desert Man', though I also really enjoy the instrumental track with the 80s saxophone on it ('Vampires'). The only one I've been skipping is 'Peach Sky', which has this really annoying high-pitched synth sound pretty much throughout.

I’m glad to hear you like it! Thanks for sharing your advanced review

Wow, this album is fantastic! It may be too early to call, but I find this to be Natasha's most consistent offering (I love her past albums but they're all pretty spotty, imo). The gothy/80s film soundtrack atmosphere she cultivates makes sense for her and feels like a natural progression from Two Suns. She often walks a fine line of cheesiness and self-indulgence but thankfully this sound/concept doesn't feel unnecessarily contrived or corny (something like "Vampires" could have been total dreck, but it is actually awesome and recalls The Cure and Sisters of Mercy).

"Mountains" (what a stunning closer, perhaps her best?), "Desertman," "Feel for You," and "So Good" are initial standouts. I hope she embarks on a huge tour in support of this record .

Does this album feature anything as explosive and melodic as All Your Gold? I agree that she's been spotty throughout her career, but when she gets it right, the results are fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Sleep Alone, Daniel, Pearl's Dream, etc., but after the last two albums (plus Sexwitch), I kind of lost faith.

10/10 review on The Line of Best Fit.

Bat For Lashes transcends nostalgia on Lost Girls to make an entirely modern masterpiece

Music reviews are not always immune to personal taste. Reviewers try to be as objective as is humanly possible, while trying to second-guess what the public will enjoy about the album they’re reading about. It’s not an exact science, nor should it be taken as gospel – we're all human, and we all have favourite things, be they albums, movies or pop culture trends.

Some music reviewers, for instance, might petition their editor to be given the chance to review the new Bat For Lashes album, Lost Girls, knowing full well that they’re going to enjoy it. They’ve keenly observed the promotional material, and listened to all of the songs released ahead of the album. They were excited about the signs pointing to a gender-flipped Lost Boys concept, complete with ‘80s new wave signifiers in both sonics and visuals. Sometimes, impartiality is futile – never more so than with an album like this.

This is Natasha Khan’s fifth album under the Bat For Lashes moniker (she also released the collaborative LP Sexwitch with TOY), and it’s also her best. Everything seems to have slotted neatly into place here: the concepts on previous albums always seemed sketchy or vague, and not entirely connected to the music. That’s not to say that her previous albums weren’t fantastic (quite the opposite), just that the execution never matched the potential. Until now.
    I've not quoted the full text as TLOBF are good guys and deserve the clicks.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Quote Originally Posted by hex object View Post
    ”Mountains" (what a stunning closer, perhaps her best?)
    ABSOLUTELY! “Mountains” is her best closer and among her best work ever, full stop! My god, it’s gorgeous!

Last edited by RecoveringXian; 09-07-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Agree with all the love. It's a a stunning album!

UK dates:

Bat For Lashes Tickets, Tour Dates & Concerts 2019

21/11 Birmingham Town Hall
    23/11 Edinburgh Queens Hall
    24/11 Manchester Albert Hall
    26/11 London EartH
    27/11 Brighton St. Bartholomew's Church

London should work for me. EartH is a cool space!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Jealous of anyone who gets to see her this round! I'm absolutely loving the new album.