Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whitney Houston

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I am with Yuki here!
    As if it was a big surprise that she would not be able to sing as well as she used to. Hell, she could not sing at all on those live shows.
    There must have been some kind of rehearsal before the tour. And that should have been the moment where the whole world(!!) tour should have been cancelled.
    Not only for Whitney, but also for the people who paid money and were probably fans.
    And that is why I can actually understand what Diamanda meant, when she was wondering if her manager was maybe hoping that this tour will at least be a gigantic freak show.

[ validated ]
    She didn't sound like she was "wondering" much of anything to me, more like she has it all figured out. And that's how we are with celebrities isn't it? We think we know their personal lives and how it all goes down, but in reality, most of the time, we don't have a clue.

As there are several question marks in Galas remarks about Whitney and her manager, I will stand by my "wondering".

[ validated ]
    There weren't any question marks regarding Whitney being "put on stage." I guess my assumption is that she was a grown woman (sober or not), and that she wanted to make the album and do the tour.

She was a legendary performer, and I think a lot of people were sincerely in her corner, hoping it would go well.
    Last edited by C33; 02-20-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Of course! I don't really want to claim Whitney as an innocent victim.
    But still, the manager should see what is the best for his or her client. And putting a woman on a stage, while she is struggling to sing at all, it is your fault as much as it is hers.
    Sometimes "hoping" is not what people should do. Maybe seeing and then reacting would have been better.

[ validated ]
    Maybe that's where greed comes in. Tons of money on the tour’s been spent.. dates and venues have been booked.. tickets have been sold. You either cancel and lose a bunch of money, or keep going and make a bunch of money. Whitney could’ve been just as much a part of that decision. I didn’t follow the tour (in fact, I haven’t followed Whitney much in years), but I’m sure not all of the shows were completely terrible:

Sounds to me like she was trying adapt the songs to her new voice, Yuki. *shrugs* She could’ve been sober too.

Sorry, I just really disagree with a lot of what Diamanda tries to insinuate in her statement.
    Last edited by C33; 02-20-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Thank you for posting that, C33. I'll say it again and again, but in this day and age of youtube and every single performance being available, there are always going to be nights when a performer just doesn't sound that great. And that's something that has always been. We just didn't know it because we used to only be able to hear a show if we actually went to see it. I remember thinking, when I started hearing bad reviews for her 2010 show, " damn. She sings those demanding songs night after night. She's in her 40's now. She's not taken great care of herself. What do people expect?" And even at Whitney's not so good moments, she was absolutely better the most singers dream of being. Looking back, I think a world tour was a mistake. If they had done a limited amount of shows, I think that the performances would've been top notch and that she would've been praised for her comeback. Take a look at this performance. I'll never forget it. I was in tears. The love and support from the audience is something you can feel even on your couch with your computer in your lap. And anyone who says that she couldn't sing anymore? Well. This is how I choose to remember her. It's the AMA's from 2009 and she just KILLS it.

The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Everything I've read states that Clive Davis was never in a rush to just get product out when it came to Whitney. He was content to wait until the right material could be found and recorded. I was just watching the Oprah performance from a couple years ago, and while her voice was clearly aged and weathered, the performance was lovely. I think the fact that those awful performances were abroad and not in America shows that they were testing the waters to see if she was ready... but it turned out that she wasn't able to deliver consistently.

^

x 2.

I thought the performance on Oprah was so, so moving. I remember watching it for the first time, and when she started ad libbing and singing "You're not built to break ... Your love said, 'You weren't built to break." Damn. You could tell she FELT it. It made me tear up.

I didn't think her last record was great, but there was an honesty about it that I liked. It didn't seem like the producers were trying to gloss her vocals over too much. It was like: here's her voice, it's changed, and we're going to work with it. No excessive studio trickery. I didn't hear it and think, "Oy. She's trying to re-capture "I Will Always Love You" and it's so depressing!" I think if she got better and worked with the right material, it would have been interesting to see what she produced. She would never have recaptured the world-dominating superstardom she once had, but she still had a stronger voice than 95% of pop singers out there, and she seemed to be tapping into something a little deeper when she sang ... less vocal firepower, but more feeling. When she was alive, naysayers would always say she was one of the best vocalists ever, but wasn't a great singer because she didn't sing with feeling, blah blah blah. I don't agree with that assessment, but I think towards the mid-late 90's she was starting to sound even more connected to what she sang, and I heard a continuation of that growth on her last album.

I think "Million Dollar Bill" deserved to be a bigger hit than it was. It was such an infectious song, and I think it made her "current" in a way that totally worked, and did not feel desperate at all. I'm not a huge Alicia Keys fan, but kudos to her for writing a great song and not just keeping it for herself. lol.
    Last edited by sleeptheclock; 02-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.

When my husband first told me the other day of Whitney's passing, I was shocked. (Rather silly of me, unfortunately.) I actually had tears in my eyes and he was kinda surprised by my reaction. But I loved her, ADORED her as a child. She was really the first singer I remember liking and recognizing. Well, it was either her or Michael Jackson. But her music was always a favorite of mine growing up. I was rather worried for her in recent years and always hoping she'd get clean and make a strong comeback. It seemed like she did in 2009, and I was relieved and happy for her. It's silly, as I never knew her personally, but she's part of my childhood. I really hope her daughter and the rest of her family & loved ones will be okay. I hope she is finally at peace.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I think the fact that those awful performances were abroad and not in America shows that they were testing the waters to see if she was ready... but it turned out that she wasn't able to deliver consistently.
    Well that ought to make the Brits feel A-OKAY! Righto Mate!

Whitney - yet another songstress playing cokehead kooky for the Brits.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar

Last edited by Canoodlefish; 02-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Well that ought to make the Brits feel A-OKAY! Righto Mate!
    I didn't mean to imply that Brits deserve to pay for a crappy show. I just meant that she may have been playing what her handlers considered "secondary markets" first to see how she fared. I know it's cynical but it wouldn't shock me.