Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Houston

^ yes! here's I Wanna Dance With Somebody too:

Live vocals on TOTP, May 21st, 1987.

^ that gave me chills, so great. thank you for posting!

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Kevin Costner's touching tribute to Whitney at her funeral today:

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    This song was a standard in our sets when I was playing in bars with a singer doing loads of covers. But this is really early Whitney on her first Letterman appearance in 1985. But listen to that voice!:

The strength, purity, and clarity of her voice in those early years was absolutely incredible.

Diamanda Galas' comment on Whitney's passing:

I mourn the death of Whitney Houston, whom I adored. Her incomparable voice, which influenced almost every R&B and pop singer worldwide, her stage presence, which no one can touch, and her beauty, tough and sweet, moved me. Whitney ... Whitney ... was put back onstage before she was ready to perform - by the colossal pig Clive Davis - who continued his party in the same hotel where she died and where her body still lay. Heresy.

Whitney should have been allowed to study for a minimum of two years with a voice therapist/teacher before even rehearsing, let alone performing, onstage. It is a gigantic jump to go from not performing to performing - and a much larger one to go from not performing and living a life without discipline, the leisure life, in particular, to performing.

What was she put onstage as? A lesson that "drugs kill"? "Hey wanna see a crack ho sing?" Courtesy of Clive Davis. "Wow, man, that will be some freaky shit, right?" "You bet, man."

Great. Now Mr. Davis will be able to package her death in frills and sell it big time - even during the nadir of record sales. (Sony and iTunes have already begun selling the back catalogue at exceedingly high prices, hours after her death, possibly minutes). And Clive and Sony will say, "Even though we do not hope to even break even with this uncompromising tribute to Whitney Houston, we feel, personally, that it is her due, as the foremost singer ever on our labels, and as lovely girl she always was to us." Etc, etc, puke puke puke.

Mr. Davis thought nothing of keeping her up onstage while she received humiliating reviews and she represented DOPEFIEND LOSER of THE WAR ON DRUGS. He probably said, "Ignore those jealous fools, dear; the more you sing, the more you'll begin to really sing." Pure entertainment for the folks that know better.

And the press will make more correlations between death days and birthdays and dead dopefiend performers and pour more gasoline on her body. Another party where she was close by but unreachable.

I feel deep sorrow for Whitney. I feel no sorrow for anyone else other than her family and those who still loved her.

And a deep loathing for those who ran her into the ground. Sure, one was Bobby Brown, but he is a common idiot.

The bigger picture?

Think a minute.

DIAMANDA GALÁS
    2/12/2012

[ validated ]
    ^While I agree that continuing to throw that party was in extremely poor taste (to say the least), the rest of her statement is pretty ridiculous.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I'm not a fan. That said, I watched a couple of those disastrous "comeback" performances on you tube last year and was a bit stunned at the horrible disintegration of her once beautiful voice, which now bore the ravages of years of cigarette, alcohol, and drug abuse. There was something almost untoward about how thousands in cyberland (including myself) watched in horror as she struggled to hit notes once well within her range and the (now disabled/removed) comments on you tube about how the old crack whore should just shut it. Yes, she had no business thinking she could go back onstage. I'm all for taking personal responsibility and being held accountable for one's actions. But I also think her handlers did her a great disservice by allowing her to perform to what they should have known would be widespread derision.

Wow, that Diamanda Galas write-up is spot on in my opinion. I'm not really a fan (of either of them), but the commodification and exploitation that has marked this whole fiasco is just disgusting.

ETA: Kala: yes, I read your above comment. Since I was never a fan, and I'm too young to really remember her heyday, I had only ever thought of Whitney as either, y'know, an overblown diva or a crazy crackhead. I laughed along with all the "crack is whack" and "bobbeh!" jokes, and although I still find them funny, her death (both her actual death and the media reaction that surrounded it) encouraged me to look into her a bit more. Honestly, what's saddest is that, as you pointed out above, her handlers seem to have prioritized wringing as much publicity and cash from her as possible, never mind the inevitable humiliation for Whitney herself. She really is the goose that laid golden eggs.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_that_lays_golden_eggs

It's also sad that she never adapted her old songs to her new voice, and instead seems to have just tried to force it to work even when it wouldn't anymore. Other artists like Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell adapted their older material to suit their changed voices, and while that style of music is quite different from Whitney's, I think it would have less humiliating than what actually happened.
    Last edited by Yuki; 02-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Damn, Diamanda. Spot on. I love how direct and honest she always is.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

[ validated ]
    I'm not saying people didn't take advantage of her. I don't know, I wasn't there, so I don't have an opinion on that matter. Obviously the industry going to capitalize on her passing, but to start putting the blame for her death onto Clive Davis, etc. is ridiculous.

What was she put onstage as? A lesson that "drugs kill"? "Hey wanna see a crack ho sing?" Courtesy of Clive Davis. "Wow, man, that will be some freaky shit, right?" "You bet, man."
    Crack ho? Nice.

And she put herself on stage.
    Last edited by C33; 02-20-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Diamanda isn't blaming Clive Davis for Whitney's death, though. She's blaming him for exploiting a vulnerable, probably emotionally unstable woman at what was probably the lowest point in her life and manipulating her in order to achieve his own ends, regardless of her wellbeing or the integrity of the craft that had made her so profitable to begin with (not to mention Whitney's own reputation). And now he'll be capitalizing of the renewed interest in Whitney brought on by her death, like a good little capitalist overlord, packaging Whitney's "legacy" with the same underhanded hypocrisy with which he forced her onstage even when she wasn't ready. And honestly, are you going to defend the integrity of record label execs? Aren't they, like, some of the scummiest people on earth?

Also, that "crack ho" line is supposed to be read sarcastically, satirical of the presumed reasons why people would have attended a Whitney "comeback" show, given the quality of her performances and the role she had come to occupy in the public eye.
    Last edited by Yuki; 02-20-2012 at 07:23 AM.

[ validated ]
    For all we know, Whitney was on the up and up. Last week I watched her last interview with Oprah (when her last studio album was dropping) and she did seem well. Her performance on the show was solid, too. Maybe the touring became too much for her and her voice. (I don't know and neither do you.) But to assume that she was somehow forced to record that album and forced on stage is absurd.

I'm not defending record labels, nor am I defending crack ho comments that you claim are:

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    satirical of the presumed reasons why people would have attended a Whitney "comeback" show.
    More absurdity. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of the people who attended one her "comeback shows" did not pay to see a trainwreck, or "a crack ho sing"

whether they got a trainwreck or not
    Last edited by C33; 02-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.