Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Science versus skeptical fuckwits: the vaccination thread

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    Do you mean boosters, Frangi? I know that many vaccines are given in series of shots -- are they not adminstered that way in other countries?

I've never gotten a flu shot and I don't think I ever will.
    Well, I think theyre the same thing? I assumed vaccine boosters were admistered after the first vaccine for all countries, it's just a matter of frequency and age started which is the difference. But here's a link to worldwide vaccination schedules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccination_schedule

and yeah anj, the second time I was told to get mmr (whopping cough) and flu vaccine while pregnant.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    Well, I think theyre the same thing? I assumed vaccine boosters were admistered after the first vaccine for all countries, it's just a matter of frequency and age started which is the difference. But here's a link to worldwide vaccination schedules:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccination_schedule
    Thanks!

I was just comparing the NHS schedule with the CDC schedule and wasn't seeing much difference in the schedule, except the Hepatitis B. Not seeing much difference on those charts either, actually... At least, not 20 additional shots before age 5 if you live in the U.S..

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    mmr = measles, mumps and rubella, not whooping cough.

And I'm very curious about having 36 shots? Maybe I just didn't keep count but I don't recall either of my kids having that many vaccinations as infants/toddlers. I've never questioned or had any pause about getting my kids vaccinated. I want them to be safe, especially with all the kids not being vaccinated these days.

^

I wonder if she's referring to the 5 in 1? There is one shot that you get three times that vaccinates against five things, that could account for 15 of the thirty some she's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    Thanks!

I was just comparing the NHS schedule with the CDC schedule and wasn't seeing much difference in the schedule, except the Hepatitis B. Not seeing much difference on those charts either, actually... At least, not 20 additional shots before age 5 if you live in the U.S..
    This was from the wiki page:

By two years of age, U.S. children receive as many as 24 vaccine injections, and might receive up to five shots during one visit to the doctor.[3] The use of combination vaccine products means that, as of 2009, the United Kingdom's immunization program consists of 10 injections by the age of two, and a further three injections (or four, including the human papillomavirus vaccine) by the time of leaving school.[6]

here's some more data from WHO
    http://apps.who.int/immunization_mon...fileresult.cfm

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I've always thought House summed up my feelings best

When the now-panicked mother asks House what her baby has, the answer is

Don't they combine them? Like the MMR is just one shot, but covers 3 things?

NM, I was late!

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    I guess I just never questioned it. I'm pro-vaccination, so whatever the doctor said was scheduled for that visit I went with it. But I don't recall my kids ever receiving more than 3 shots at any given visit, and more often than not it was only 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    This was from the wiki page:
    I read the wiki page, I still am having trouble understanding where your 36 shot figure came from, and your statement about 20 additional shots for the exact same thing.

According to the vaccine schedule, under ideal circumstances, a child in the U.S. would receive approximately 13-ish total needs in their arm with vaccines in them by age 5, not 36 or 24 or whatever. And that's according to the U.S. vaccine schedule on the wiki page, as well as the CDC website, and if my adding skills are still doing okay. I'm trying to figure out where your thirty-something shot figure came from and what the U.S. is vaccinating against that other similiarly developed countries are not. I'm reaching the conclusion that your figures came from you pulling random numbers off websites without actually looking at the data behind them?

Here is a publication by the Vaccine Center at CHOP that says children in the U.S. receive 14 vaccines, but it also says up to 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    I read the wiki page, I still am having trouble understanding where your 36 shot figure came from, and your statement about 20 additional shots for the exact same thing.
    It came from the first pdf (jenny mccarthy) I linked. If the US gets 36 and other countries get 11-13 then that leaves 20 extra right? Do I know maths anymore?

But even the wiki page cites 24 vaccines for US kids before the age of 2 while other countries would get 10 or so.

I wouldn't put it past McCarthy and friends to pull numbers right out of their arses in support of the cause.

My son is a few weeks away from being five. I just counted his vaccination record and it has a total of 10 different vaccinations with a total of 33 shots (some take multiple shots, obviously...hep B takes a series of 3). And I thought that vaccinations=autism theory was completely debunked over a year ago? (derp. skipped a page. this has already been discussed).

Anyway, Blossom is fucking nut. I feel sorry for her children and can surely say they'll probably grow up to be assholes.
    Last edited by Cunter Fartlett; 02-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    there are so many overdiagnosed kids these days that I am glad she didn't immediately shuffle them off to be put "on the spectrum" and instead appeared to at least spend time getting to know and valuing her kids' abilities to fend for themselves. Autism and Asperger's are this generation's ADD/ADHD -- everyone seems to have a "little of it" these days, which seems to put those kids who aren't working in an "expected" manner into a nice little box that can explain their overactivity or general weirdness. (The markers for autism are actually being reconsidered because there are so many recent diagnoses.) It's frustrating as a teacher because I work with a lot of kids whose parents want every struggle and challenge to be explained away by some mysterious illness -- their kids don't need to work harder or more of different because they simply can't!
    i know this has nothing to do with celebrity gossip but i have to agree x1000000 dots. this makes me fucking nuts and part of why i dont work in the schools. people dont have to fit into some imaginary box of normality to be functional. i have a soapbox rant with this but i'll save it for another thread/venue. but i agree so very very very much.

eta: i didnt realize that hack jenny mccarthy was in the house. so my soapbox IS for this venue. shame on anyone who looks to a d-list "actress" for medical advice. what if the US required 500 vaccines? so? what is "too many"? is there evidence somewhere that 36 is worse than 20? not jenny mccarthy scare-monger evidence, but proper peer reviewed evidence? doubtful.

in addition, this vaccine-autism blah blah blah----YOU do the math. autism isnt increasing at "alarming rates", diagnosis is. and the diagnosis is not one of spinal taps and x-rays but of reported symptoms and behaviors. there's a lot more grey area there. the shite definition of autism is part of the problem.

theres no justification to anyone's "modified" schedule for vaccination. point me to where that evidence is if im missing something.

Fox and Julius, thank you. You've pretty much said it all. I just want to add that I don't think parent's should have a choice if their children are going to be schooled in public. And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most schools require vaccination before admittance? Several years ago, a girl from my home town got meningitis and it ended up killing two of her classmates. While I'm not one to trust every doctor simply because of their title, I am also responsible enough to know that I am NOT a doctor, and should probably do what I'm told when it comes to things like vaccination that have been well-established as being safe, harmless and effective at preventing disease.

On another note, Def Jam is refusing to release Birthday Cake on iTunes or any other music outlet and Jay Z is reportedly furious with Rihanna. It seems that her record label didn't plan OR release the remix, which makes the whole thing even more disturbing. I don't know what's true, obviously, but if she did this herself, she has made a very, very bad decision.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down